GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/16 8:17 a.m.

Looked at a new C7, new Elise, used Nobles, but I think I'll go with this:

http://wirewheel.com/2007-Lotus-255-Cup-Car-for-sale.html

The extra cash can go toward the import costs

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/16 8:23 a.m.
patgizz wrote: so when do you announce that you won the powerball and those of us who posted realistic vehicles will be having them delivered shortly?

If I win the powerball the most obnoxious answer would be delivered. Right now, for this forum, it is probably that restored Beetle. LOL

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/23/16 8:44 a.m.

A Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and an Adventure Trailers Habitat.

Or this Regal with the remaining balance in parts delivered to my rental garage. I'm thinking Edelbrock supercharged LS3, T56, ecetera

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/16 9:51 a.m.

I'd troll Special Stage until I found a nice logbooked rally car with plenty of spares.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
2/23/16 10:39 a.m.

I just got done reading the article in the mag this month about the R32 GTR. I'd honestly just get the best example available. I told the wife if we have some crazy monetary windfall I am getting one. With 70k, that would basically be a money is no object purchase for getting a stock-ish one.

Unfortunately, I live in California. So some issues would have to get worked out on where and how I register the car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/23/16 12:16 p.m.

Plenty available under $70K, in fact I'd cap it at $50K and keep the rest for maintenance.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/16 1:08 p.m.

The OPs choice?

Maybe something like this.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/16 1:12 p.m.

GT-R is tempting.

So is a Unimog.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/23/16 1:47 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: GT-R is tempting. So is a Unimog.

Let's be friends.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/23/16 1:56 p.m.
LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
2/23/16 2:01 p.m.

A more practical car I could actually use in competition 03 Swift Formula Atlantic

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/23/16 2:21 p.m.

This is a harder question than I originally thought. There are a lot of good choices. I would head out to test drive a C7 and a Cayman or 911 of some flavor. I have have wanted a Lotus 7ish car for a long time, but I don't know if I would go for a Caterham or not. I would also want to test drive an Exige. If boats are allowed, I would also be happy with a boat. I'm willing to take my chances that Flight Service doesn't actually win the lottery, so I don't have to decide. If I win the lottery I could buy everything on my list.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/23/16 2:35 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Pandoras box isn't it?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/23/16 2:52 p.m.
HunterBenz wrote: I just got done reading the article in the mag this month about the R32 GTR. I'd honestly just get the best example available. I told the wife if we have some crazy monetary windfall I am getting one. With 70k, that would basically be a money is no object purchase for getting a stock-ish one. Unfortunately, I live in California. So some issues would have to get worked out on where and how I register the car.

I have a friend legally importing them. Legal Texas titled cars. I can't say I'm not tempted......

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/16 3:01 p.m.
JAhmed wrote: I'll take one of these please...$64,100

I came to post this. Without overthinking it, this is the one my gut immediately lands on.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
2/23/16 3:01 p.m.

Im glad I'm not the only one talking trucks. I love cars but since I only have 70 id go with a brand new full size truck that I could tow reliably with and also sit in and watch HBO for a few hours. the new Rams look real nice but I've been in a king ranch that felt like a 5 start hotel room and I might have to go that way

stan_d
stan_d Dork
2/23/16 4:34 p.m.

R32 GTR has been on my want list since 1992.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/16 6:15 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Let's say I won the lottery and just completely indulged my crazy side. Let's say I would have a competition where the winner would receive me buying them ANY 1 car for less than $70k asking price. Rules - has to be a known asking price - no "still going" auctions without a buy it now. Have to post listing. One (1) vehicle, $70k ask or less. Must post verification of price (ad or webshot or link or something) no one said anything about new. If you want a fully rusted out Chevette go for it.

GT350R.

Why is this thread four pages long. It had better be eighty people saying "GT350R" and arguing over what color it should be.

This is as someone who doesn't like ponycars in general, hates Mustangs, and generally finds V8s annoying.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/16 6:25 p.m.

Okay, so I read the thread.

xflowgolf wrote: I'll take a new GT350R please.

FINALLY.

The way I see the rules, it only makes sense to get a NEW car. If the car is free to you, then this is the only time when getting new makes sense. That way you get the warranty and who cares about depreciation. If you want an investment that you gingerly rub with a diaper, afraid to take it outside because it might get scratched, or stolen, or breathed on wrong (a bird could E36 M3 on it, who knows?) then use your own money.

I interpret this as "What would you get for $70k if it was someone else's money?"

Answer: GT350R. I sure as heck wouldn't spend my own money on one (just a wee bit out of my range, although the Focus RS keeps calling me...), but the whole idea of the car is so silly and incredible that it just NEEDs to be boughten. I mean, let's look at the facts: FORD, the company that brought us the Tempo and Lincoln Mark VI, has made a Mustang, for 2016 emissions specs, with a powerband like a Boss 302 except a lot more of it. Boss 302s made about 380hp, this makes 140 MORE. 140 horsepower is MORE than the original Fox-body Mustang GT made. Go to 1979 and mention the fuel economy and emissions standards for 2017, then mention that you could get a new Mustang with (roughly) the same displacement as a new GT/Boss 302 but makes more power than both of them combined.

And, for E36 M3s and giggles, they gave it a flat plane crank. Because why not?

Actually the whole car looks like a lot of people got together and brainstormed what they thought they could get away with putting in a production car. And did. Carbon fiber core support? Carbon fiber WHEELS? Isn't this the same company that gave us a 1978 Fairmont with Mustang badges for 26 years?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/23/16 6:53 p.m.

The reason I didn't choose a GT350R is because it makes sense. It's a reasonable buy at sticker if you could find one for that. In a different world I'd spend my own money on one.
With someone else's money I want to buy something fairly idiotic that I could never justify. Something like this 1974 Pinzgauer.
Only $24k of my allotted 70, but I'm sure I could spend the rest.

asoduk
asoduk Reader
2/23/16 8:41 p.m.

996 turbo (because the 997 turbo is harder to find for that money...) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-996-TURBO-/121900773627?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c61da30fb:g:0uMAAOSwezVWyKp8&item=121900773627

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
2/23/16 9:37 p.m.

A better race car than the one I have now. And since you're being all nice and buying me this one, I'll put your name on the wing. Also, keep the change.

Ad copy:

For Sale; Miles Jackson's 2005 Stohr-JFC. This is a 2005 converted 0d1 to new WF1 body and Dauntless front splitter, floor and rear wing. No expense spared. 3 CSR track records in 2013 For sale COMPLETE with spares. The frame was widened at the shoulders for big shoulder and taller driver. The car is complete with 1615cc K9 Busa freshened by GDRE and 37mm restrictors with left and right exit tri-Y headers built by Greg Holman . Stock throttle bodies running on LIFE closed loop ECU. Taylor aluminum and spare steal Quaife diff, full aero tube suspension (comes with spare set of strain gauge push rods), AiM EVO3 system and dash, Geartronics paddle shift system, 4 total sets of wheels (includes rains and intermediates), Brembo brakes with spares, spare front and rear hubs (loaded), sprockets, Ohlin TTX shocks, multiple spring sets. complete rear wing assembly and much more. Developing new car and this one has to go. Give me a call if interested, I can send more pics. $65K OBO. Make an offer, this is a beautiful and well maintained car. Lots of extras and ready to race.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/24/16 10:50 a.m.

70s/80s Aston Martin Vantage. It would have to be a rough one to get it under 70k.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/24/16 10:59 a.m.

For anyone wanting to live on an island, this is within budget....

DUK

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
2/24/16 10:59 a.m.

A later 993 in a loud color

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vs5LyeIbawIXyOZUTqjbuIPNHBRblmA7eViWcCgj8Dx9OFiHhxJQfu4CEb7NxWIy