1 2
Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/14/14 8:43 p.m.

When it's turbo Miata. I finally got the answer right and picked up a 95 turbo 1.8 car this weekend. Took awhile to find a rust free, reasonably priced example that wasnt stripped for weight or beat up. This is probably useless without pics, but its a red Miata with Kosei K1s. For now. Limited slip, cruise, ac. Ive got some learning todo regarding turbos and megasquirt, but I may not have to mess with it much, even at 8 psi it pulls pretty hard. First few questions, does anyone know if a hardtop will fit over a hard dog double diagonal bar? Also, the power steering has been depowered, but Im kinda surprised at a bit of slop on center in the steering, any ideas? Its got 170k, so maybe just age. Cars on 15 inch wheels and no suspension modifications.

thanks for any help, Im sure there will be future questions.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/14/14 9:25 p.m.

Oh, it's got K1s? They're my favorite wheels. Good find, Murphy!

The steering should not have slop, unless your baseline for steering feel is Lotus or McLaren. It is likely just some simple wear items in need of replacement.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/14 9:29 p.m.

When the question is, "What is not the answer?"

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/14/14 10:02 p.m.

Miata is not the answer when you have to tow your Miata.

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
4/14/14 10:03 p.m.

LOL at PMMM meme...

Slop is probably either worn bushings or ball joints...

Miata is not the answer when you don't like convertibles, are 6'+ and want a comfortable car that at least as capable as a miata for daily driver...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/14/14 10:16 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111: Miata's were designed to be drop-tops so you get one anyway and squeeze in. Women wouldn't have bought them new if they weren't comfortable.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
4/14/14 10:53 p.m.

That's what the hardtop is for; turn it into a coupe. I've been daily driving a miata since 1996. I'm just 6 foot though, but a foamectomy is good.

Murphy: I have a HDHCDD M2 roll bar in mine with plenty of clearance between the padding on the bar and the hardtop. There are some variances with the roll bars though, so keep that in mind. Have fun at 8 psi, then get bored and up the boost. I'm at 14psi with a MP62 blower, with 250hp at the wheels... and now I want more. Good find!

-Hamid

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
4/14/14 10:55 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: In reply to Vracer111: Miata's were designed to be drop-tops so you get one anyway and squeeze in. Women wouldn't have bought them new if they weren't comfortable.

But you have to drive hunched over so top of the windshield doesn't make you look like you've stolen Geordi LaForge's eyewear...

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
4/14/14 11:01 p.m.

When you want to have sex in the back seat of the car.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
4/15/14 3:46 a.m.

When the answer is station wagon! i.e. turbo brick!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/15/14 6:34 a.m.
drsmooth wrote: When you want to have sex in the back seat of the car.

Yeah, that option is out but the two of you just squeeze in the front seat! LOL. Actually, it may not be possible.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/15/14 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111: Then after a month of driving it you're walking hunched over like an old man.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/15/14 6:53 a.m.

There are liabilities to the Miata....but every time I thinka bout getting rid of mine, I get cold feet.

Sort of like a Martini shaken, not stired for james Bond...there is simply no replacement for a Miata.

That beign said, both the Abarth Fiat and the Fiesta ST seem to make infineite sense for an additional car in my fleet, since I live in Ohio.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/14 7:56 a.m.

As for the roll bar/hardtop clearance - depends on the bar. There are two variations on the fundamental Hard Dog geometry, and one of them isn't hardtop compatible. At least, not if you want to use the side latches. Post some pictures, especially near the base of the main hoop, and we can probably tell.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/15/14 8:05 a.m.

When the answer is S2000.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/14 8:31 a.m.

That's a Miata too, just one made by Honda for a while.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
4/15/14 9:47 a.m.

Sort of a hyper Miata.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
4/15/14 9:59 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote:
Yeah, that option is out but the two of you just squeeze in the front seat! LOL. Actually, it may not be possible.

I assure you, it is possible.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
4/15/14 10:05 a.m.

Put her over the trunk. Done. For bonus points, but a great big wing on so she has something to hang on to.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/15/14 10:07 a.m.

When the question involves wheelin'

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/15/14 10:19 a.m.

When my wife says I'm not allowed to keep 2.

Anyone wanna help me decide which one to keep??...of the two Miata that is...then buy the one I don't keep.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
4/15/14 10:20 a.m.

Keith makes a good point; the Hard Dog Hard Core bar for the most part fits without issue, but the side latches do need to be changed. The stock latches will not work, so most people opt for the spec miata series bolt-on side latches. I sourced mine from Rennenmetal, which are great and work well. Theft for hardtops is on the rise, so installing bolt-in latches or locks is a good idea anyway. My brother had his hard top stolen just 2 months ago; it's an easy $1k for shiny happy people that like to eat E36 M3.

-Hamid

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
4/15/14 5:54 p.m.
Murphy wrote: Also, the power steering has been depowered, but Im kinda surprised at a bit of slop on center in the steering, any ideas? Its got 170k, so maybe just age. Cars on 15 inch wheels and no suspension modifications.

Mine is the same way, all suspension parts are in good shape, going to have the rack taken apart and the pinion welded.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/14 6:02 p.m.

I had slop in mine (FC RX-7, same rack just different length) and it turned out to be one of the spline couplers wasn't tightened down.

Now, I don't have noticeable slop in the steering but it doesn't always have the same center. The rack itself moves up and down in the housing by about 1/16" on the driver's side. So the rack is junk.

Note that the car I got the rack from was in horrible, horrible shape. Blown engine, trans only had 4th gear, every glass cracked and every panel crunched, interior smelled like cat and mouse pee, etc. The rack had no boot on the driver's side and was probably like that for some time. So depowering may not have been what actually did it in. (Heck, I depowered it because I believed that it would heave fluid if I put a pump on it)

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/16/14 3:31 p.m.

photo IMG_5459.jpg photo IMG_5456.jpg photo IMG_5457.jpg Not sure if you can tell from these pictures which bar this is or if hardtop will fit. Sidenote:Teeth light up, but will be removed anyways.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AW6b4AfNCjcfieWVl0htKJic3oGBOK2nVtDjnaiXofPwws6UCrgcRyIL0u3XET5V