1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/14 3:36 p.m.

Hard Core bar. Can't use the side latches for the top, so it'll have to be bolted down. There's also a 10% chance the bar won't quite clear the hardtop.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/16/14 3:58 p.m.

The problem is, "The Answer" never was "Miata"........it has always been E36 M3

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/14 4:03 p.m.

Nice teeth. Does it have "angry eyes" too?

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/16/14 4:07 p.m.

No angry eyes but they are rigged to wink. When you say side latches bolted down, is there a thread or page you can send me showing what you mean exactly?

thanks

Nevermind found a thread on turbomiata discussing this bar...

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/14 4:10 p.m.

I bet a winking Miata gets all the ladies!

Murphy
Murphy New Reader
4/16/14 5:29 p.m.

If the softtop has a decent amount of room between top and bar is that a good indicator that hardtop will fit?

AverageH
AverageH Reader
4/16/14 7:39 p.m.

Here is a link to the side latches that I bought for my hard top: http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1335side

Some people put a lot of effort into using different types of keyed bolts to make theft more difficult, but they need to be pretty short in order to install them as the clearance between the bar and the latch is very tight. The latches are cheap and well made, and the owner is a really great guy.

-Hamid

AverageH
AverageH Reader
4/16/14 7:50 p.m.
Murphy wrote: If the softtop has a decent amount of room between top and bar is that a good indicator that hardtop will fit?

Maybe... how much space do you have between the two? I'd say I had about an inch between mine, maybe more. I primarily just use the hard top now so I don't fully recall. I have the CFI padding on top that sticks up about 1/2" from the bar, and there is still a good 1/4" between the padding and hard top.

I should add that my hard top is from 1990, meaning that they didn't have a rear defroster and an insulated adhesive rubber foam as a headliner. That might take away a slight amount of room, but I'm not sure how much.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/14 8:27 a.m.

Most of them do fit, but occasionally you get one that doesn't. I agree that the older tops will have a greater chance - same shape on the outside, but less stuff on the inside.

You can get those bolt-in plates all over the place. Some are steel, some are aluminum. I've used the Rennenmetal ones as well as others. They're also pretty easy to make.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/14 11:48 a.m.

Note that one option is to simply leave the side latches off and just use the front latches. This makes the hard top less secure, but I've done mine that way for several years and so far so good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9cmrQ55fw31q37ocXyXS85vWvQhgkOHpAWP6pTWmIIePkv0gO8shfXaBngmPEBpA