Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/8/24 5:11 p.m.

So I saw a car I hadn't seen before–a Pontiac Firefly–on Instagram, so I googled it because I wanted to learn more.

Go figures, it brought me right back here:

Great Moments in Challenge History: Pontiac Firefly Turbo

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/8/24 5:18 p.m.

Oh, I hate that.

The worst is when my name’s on the byline. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/24 5:37 p.m.

In my early times on GRM I knew I was in the right place because I'd google some weird automotive idea and the top results would lead me back here.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/8/24 5:51 p.m.

Had a similar thing once.  Looking for a picture of a car, one of them linked to a picture I took then posted to GRM.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/24 6:59 p.m.

I once googled something about getting the used gear oil smell out of clothing and one of the first things that came up was my suggestion on a forum that burning them was the only option.  Thanks me.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/8/24 8:47 p.m.

That would be my Pontiac Firefly.  Also seen here. I still have it

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/8/24 8:49 p.m.

I've hot linked myself.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/8/24 9:09 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

It’s kinda like this, I figure.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/9/24 8:11 a.m.

I've done that. First two or three results contain a link to GRM. My reaction:

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/9/24 8:17 a.m.

There's nothing like being stuck and hungry for more info only to find out you are where other people are going for info.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/9/24 10:25 a.m.

When I googled DIY sway bar for beam axle, guess where I ended up ... and guess where I found the best info. 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/24 11:37 a.m.

I skip a lot of BS and dead ends and just type: Car-in-question site: grassroots motorsports. Always seems like someone HAS the car, HAD the car  or has a lot of knowledge ABOUT the car. Saves a lot of time, plus you can ask any questions to the people who had been-there, done-that. Almost *any* car too...

(Thanks GRM)!

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/24 12:19 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Me too.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/9/24 12:29 p.m.

If you Google 'SVT Contour pics' mine is on the first page as the GRM car of the week. (Not bragging, just think it's cool this resource is so powerful)

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/9/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

The silver one?

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
2/9/24 2:21 p.m.
chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/11/24 1:23 p.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Black

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/24 1:36 p.m.

Funny. Happened to me just this morning. I was looking for which designation of wheel my Z4 has and came across a picture I myself had posted on GRM. HA.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/11/24 2:14 p.m.

That circular reference is one of the reasons I bother posting build threads here and not anywhere else. I know that if I learn something, it's got half a chance of helping someone else because it will actually appear in search results. The old Porsche 924 I've got a thread on is one such example - I couldn't find any reliably good information, backed up by testing, about the frequency valve specifically for the 924 (its behavior is slightly different across the range of CIS-lambda cars out there). Now, if you search for 924 frequency valve on google, my thread is the 4th result or something, and maybe it will help someone else troubleshoot their system somewhere down the line.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/24 5:09 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

That circular reference is one of the reasons I bother posting build threads here and not anywhere else...Now, if you search for 924 frequency valve on google, my thread is the 4th result or something, and maybe it will help someone else troubleshoot their system somewhere down the line.

So many forums got sold to 3rd party marketing companies, or just dried up and blew away because of pressure from facebook. The ones that are still around got wacked hard by the Photobucket apocalypse.

I'm delighted that GRM has continued to make investments in this one...even though they probably wish they didn't own it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iTtGUaDCGE6LRyQnatPTIJ6wQcYZbH7v0NCb4lxXAh2jnc07rik3c0kZQyFqmWf9