chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
7/18/16 10:13 a.m.

Where does your Club buy cones from? I've been tasked with buying new cones for our independent autox Club. Previously we piggy-backed on our SCCA region's cone order but that is no longer an option, plus it was a "we'll get them when we get them" deal. We'll need these within the next month so we're flying solo, so to speak. Any suggestions other than Lowes/HD/Northern Tool/Harbor Freight? I did some brief searching but figured I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/18/16 10:29 a.m.

I saw them at Sams Club last year.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
7/18/16 10:32 a.m.

If you've got local stores that carry appropriate cones, I'd go around to a few and buy whichever cones seem like they squish the best without breaking.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/16 10:40 a.m.

Maybe buy one and drag it around the parking lot, just to see how abrasion resistance it is, too.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/18/16 10:48 a.m.

I just looked and 3M PVC cones are available from Amazon.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
7/18/16 11:00 a.m.

Im pretty sure my club buys ours from amazon

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
7/18/16 11:02 a.m.

We get ours from a local supplier to traffic control companies. I'm not sure the brand, but they are super soft and actually stay in place too well. Try and find your local traffic control supplier and they should have some in stock that you can try out.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/16 11:07 a.m.

That's what I came here to say: traffic control companies.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/16 11:33 a.m.

Hey, we just bought a bunch of cones. Nancy is getting the contact info and will reply to this thread shortly.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/16 12:12 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Hey, we just bought a bunch of cones. Nancy is getting the contact info and will reply to this thread shortly.

I didn't realize the GRM HQ parking lot was that big? Or is Marjorie expanding the patio again?

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/18/16 12:26 p.m.

Grainger?

https://www.grainger.com/category/traffic-cones/traffic-safety/safety/ecatalog/N-ipt?redirect=traffic+cone&searchRedirect=traffic+cone&searchBar=true

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/16 12:40 p.m.
Nancy Gomes
Nancy Gomes Circulation Manager
7/18/16 12:50 p.m.

In reply to chrispy:

I ordered our cones from Protection Services Inc, Tony Johnson was my sales rep and his number is 803-542-8440 or email AJohnson@protectionservices.com. They should be here late this week or early next week.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
7/18/16 1:55 p.m.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/18/16 4:06 p.m.

Being the cheap ass I am, I will suggest the lonely road side cone. Nobody is coming back for it. I've massed ten cones this way. They are however varied in size

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/16 4:15 p.m.

When I had a driving school for teens I bought like 100 traffic cones from these guys. Was the cheapest I could find at about $7 each (I bought 12 inch cones, which should be fine for autox).

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/traffic-cones/orange-lime

Edit, looks like amazons are cheaper right now in the 12 inch pack of 20 ($109)

freetors
freetors New Reader
7/18/16 10:03 p.m.

The newest one in our SCCA region have TireRack painted on them, I guess that's where they got them from. They seem pretty squishy, especially in the 90+ degree sun.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/16 10:12 p.m.

It's a fine line...they need to sting a little, and leave a streak to buff out. It's better for driver development.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
53RmdVi3usZ4iMXJIzCfACO0b8DQBAFQTZfc3DnGDCepowkvebf7y2GxRB6IRpzs