Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ
Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ MegaDork
10/20/24 10:58 a.m.

Wife's '06 RX-8 has had increasingly frustrating electrical issues. There is some sort of electrical system drain that we can not find the source of. It had been kept on a battery tender, but things have progressed to the point that she can't rely on it starting anymore. It's in the shop now with one last chance to maybe track down the source of the issue.

She's also tired of it taking forever to get worked on because there is only one mechanic at the local dealer qualified to work on it.

She's pretty certain it's time to sell it and move on. Find something lightly used with manual transmission (leaning Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, or Imprezza).

But how best to sell the RX-8? It's in solid shape aside from the major issue. I think 80k miles. A dealership probably won't give good price. She wouldn't want to sell it to an individual without them being fully aware of its issues.

It's kind of begging to be gutted and turned into a race car. What would be the best location(s) and method to sell this thing?

We are in Columbus, OH.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
10/20/24 11:07 a.m.

Auto or manual? I believe the Auto RX8s had lower output engines.

calteg
calteg UltraDork
10/20/24 11:16 a.m.

Fastest route: Get a Carmax appraisal, find a competing dealer that does Carmax +$500 and dump it. 

Otherwise you're likely selling it for scrap value.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/20/24 11:23 a.m.

New battery and a kill switch so you can easily cut the negative cable connection when it's parked?

Maybe would be worth posting it in some track car for sale type groups if you're on fb

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/20/24 12:12 p.m.

I had the same issue when l with my 07 when I sold it.. I was still able to sell it on Facebook marketplace even disclosing it.  Really the only issue I had with the car..

I had one of these connected to the battery for the last year or two before I sold it:

battery disconnect switch

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/20/24 12:44 p.m.

Early RX-8 with 80,000 miles... oh my.

Sell it to someone who does not know a lot about RX-8's?

(you likely already tried this, but did you trying pulling fuses until the drain stopped?)

Bibs
Bibs New Reader
10/20/24 1:32 p.m.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you checked the microswitches that sense an open hood/door?

My 06 Mazda had a similar frustrating issue...the hood switch was corroded, so the car thinks the hood is open.

it keeps the ECU on, because it thinks the car is being serviced. It would drain the battery overnight. 
I just removed the switch, and tied the wires together.

Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ
Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ MegaDork
10/20/24 2:42 p.m.
confuZion3 said:

Auto or manual? I believe the Auto RX8s had lower output engines.

Manual.

Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ
Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ MegaDork
10/20/24 2:45 p.m.
Bibs said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you checked the microswitches that sense an open hood/door?

Not a dumb question. *I* have not checked anything. Wife has dropped it off at the shop several times to try to get it diagnosed, and they say they've checked a bunch of the electronics, but I don't know what. I've not reviewed their work at all.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/20/24 2:46 p.m.

Sounds like the sort of car that would draw interest right here on this forum in the for sale section.

Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ
Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ MegaDork
10/20/24 2:47 p.m.
calteg said:

Fastest route: Get a Carmax appraisal, find a competing dealer that does Carmax +$500 and dump it. 

This is kinda what I suspect. Otherwise that someone on GRM would be interested in it for ~$2k.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
10/20/24 3:22 p.m.

Sunroof or non sunroof?

Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ
Beer Baron ๐Ÿบ MegaDork
10/20/24 3:34 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Sunroof. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kPu6Fa2fH8Hv89yd34AF6DC3nehs5spyb3wOIZam9HNNqfTknk4YQPYvQcXTT0Lj