1 2
steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
4/7/11 4:40 p.m.

Are there other answers besides miata and e30?

I was going to buy a boxster but wife exercised her veto power. So i have lowered my budget. Here are the parameters. No Miata, No E30s No ricers, no VWs. Must get mid teens or better gas mileage all for $3000, that can be reliable enough to DD with a backup minivan in the wings.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
4/7/11 4:44 p.m.

Drivetrain parameters? Manual trans, right?

Just looking for fun?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
4/7/11 4:45 p.m.

I'll go way out on a limb and say 944.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/7/11 4:47 p.m.

Naturally Aspirated FC RX-7

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/11 4:50 p.m.

I think I'd be looking at Mustangs and maybe F-bodies (I only say 'maybe' because I lean stangward naturally, as badly as I want a Camaro with 'BITCHN' plates; and why does Oregon only have six characters?).

If you haven't already done the pony car thing, it seems like a nifty gearhead itch to scratch. The cars are cheap, the parts are cheap, they can go like stink and some say they can even be made to change direction.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/7/11 4:58 p.m.
ransom wrote: some say they can even be made to change direction.

They can, it just takes some doin's to get there

As a Mustang-guy, I will say that for your budget, the Camaro will almost certainly be a better handler out of the box. I'm sure the Camaro's stock torque arm setup has its weaknesses, but the fox-chassis 4-link is truly horrid

If you do go Mustang, at the very least you'll need three things right off the bat: CC plates (Maximum Motorsports makes the best), full-length weld-in sub-frame connectors (MM or Steeda), and some better form of lateral axle location (either speherically-bushed UCAs or a panhard bar).

Unless you're chasing ultimate lightness, the SN95 chassis comes with a lot of inherent upgrades over the foxbody: off the top of my head, you get stock 5-lug, 4-wheel disc brakes, better front geometry, and a stiffer chassis. You'll still need the three things previously mentioned, though.

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
4/7/11 4:58 p.m.

Mustang. Might only be a v6 if you want something newer then 99. Just have to replace HG's and exhaust manifolds. NBD.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
4/7/11 5:02 p.m.
imirk wrote: Naturally Aspirated FC RX-7

I'd also add 1st gen. RX-7s (SA/FB) to that, as long as you can live with 20mpg-ish tops and you don't consider RX-7s "rice."

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/7/11 5:08 p.m.

No VWs? Why?

Snotty, easy on the eyes, room for kids, huge aftermarket.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
4/7/11 5:23 p.m.

Mercedes w123 280 or r107 slc. Try to find a euro 280 model in decent shape.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
4/7/11 5:24 p.m.

When I bought my '88 MR2 SC back in 2001 it fit your requirements. An SC will have gone up in price typically but regular models can be had in your budget.
Fun commuter that really is good on mpg.

corytate
corytate Reader
4/7/11 5:29 p.m.

there is an xr4ti floating around here that could fit your needs. basically a detuned svo for 2k? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if my budget wasn't nder a thousand and my heart wasn't set on a 240sx or 200sx

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
4/7/11 5:34 p.m.

Mk1 MR2 SC can be had for that money. Mileage in the mid 20's, maybe better depending on the drive.

Not easy to find one in good condition though. I guess you could say that for many in that range.

That said, I like the 944 and RX7 too.

edit - doh, jrw beat me to it.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/7/11 5:54 p.m.

C4? P71? Turbo brick? (What have our other go-to cars been lately? )

Without knowing why the Boxster was vetoed and the E30 and Miata are out of the running, it's hard to give a good recommendation. So I'll go totally off the reservation and recommend a 2000 Chevrolet Impala LT.

It is DEFINITELY not a Boxster, Miata, or E30.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/7/11 6:03 p.m.

If I had a Mk I MR-2 I would seriously consider paying for a vanity plate "WEDGIE"

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
4/7/11 6:09 p.m.

Get a V6 95+ F-body. Cheap, parts are plentiful, "torquey," and just as fast as mid to late 90s Mustang GTs. The plus side to that is if you find one with T-Tops you can rock your sleeveless flannel shirt and let your mullet float in the wind while cruising to get a case of Budweiser.

oh and the only things I've ever run into on those are: Window motors, coil packs, and crank position sensor.

pres589
pres589 Dork
4/7/11 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Lugnut:

These are surely delightful cars and not big boring taxi cabs like they seem but I have to say I can't wait to get out of my Olds Intrigue (which seems like the best W-body GM puked out).

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
4/7/11 6:20 p.m.

As to why not a miata, i am not comfortable enough with my manliness. Are 944 good DDs thought they could be very problematic? This is a fun car Daily Driver

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
4/7/11 6:33 p.m.

If manliness is your concern, go big! IROC or F150 with exhaust stacks.

mw
mw HalfDork
4/7/11 7:36 p.m.
steelynorm wrote: As to why not a miata, i am not comfortable enough with my manliness. Are 944 good DDs thought they could be very problematic? This is a fun car Daily Driver

Have you driven a miata? I wasn't too concerned about the girly car rep, but once I'd driven one, I had to have one

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
4/7/11 7:51 p.m.

P71!!!

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
4/7/11 8:03 p.m.

I have driven a miata for a couple of weekend road trips. They are fun, but the fun factor loses its luster on longer more boring fwy roadtrips and the trunk...is kind of small.

What is a P71? yes i could search but since i was replying.......

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
4/7/11 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

how much storage do they have, can i put a hockey bag in there?

Ranger50
Ranger50 HalfDork
4/7/11 8:05 p.m.

crown vic's or grand marquis's

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
4/7/11 8:18 p.m.

Living in the south, I am totally unfamiliar with hockey bags. That said, aw11's (mk1 mr2) have a surprising amount of storage between the trunk and frunk. Easy to pack enough for two on a weekend, go to the grocery store, etc. There's just not much room for big items and soft luggage is a must. A golf bag might not fit, depending on the bag.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZf3GAhqB6w2RzWIrHwF6DKU2yPsX1jBJgTG9rJwXARxIuom898WBt2vVzrpFUhW