1 2 3
Skobie
Skobie New Reader
1/9/23 7:16 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
Datsun310Guy said:

I was so excited until they arrived and the pricing came out with large markups so I bought a Datsun 1600 Roadster instead.  

I guess it's good to know that dealer markups aren't a recent issue.

Don't have it anymore sad, but my first year (1990) Corvette ZR1 stickered for about $60k, and the original dealer paperwork had a sale price of $72k!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/23 7:21 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

The $30,000 base 4x4 with stick is this version - jacked up price, right?

Just can't get excited here......until I buy new wheels, lift kit........

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 7:44 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Colin Wood said:
Datsun310Guy said:

I was so excited until they arrived and the pricing came out with large markups so I bought a Datsun 1600 Roadster instead.  

I guess it's good to know that dealer markups aren't a recent issue.

I actually stopped at a Chrysler dealer back in the day and they had the first PT Cruiser in the showroom with an market adjustment up.  The first VW retro Beetle had a markup too. 

When I bought my 1985 CRX Si, it came with everything including the bill of sale. Note the line of $1000 dealer profit on top of the $7999 MSRP. That's 12.5% ADM.

The original buyer also cross-shopped some lesser models.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/9/23 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My Rallye Pinto buddy read about the new CRX Si in Road & Track and called me.  Want to come with me to buy a Honda?

We went to 2 dealers and one said they had a red one coming in.  You have to pay sticker - he bought it on the spot without driving it or seeing it.  

It was the first Si year (maybe 2nd CRX year?) and was a really cool car.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/23 8:01 p.m.

Oh, and most anticipated new car for me? ND Miata.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/9/23 9:36 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to buzzboy :

Just can't get excited here......until I buy new wheels, lift kit........

And here I want skinnier tires on stock steelies with a lowering kit :D

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
1/9/23 11:09 p.m.

Everything I heard & read about the C8 Corvette was pretty interesting & exciting. I had no plans to get one, until I did.  Expectations were met or exceeded.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/9/23 11:21 p.m.

As you can tell by my screen name, I'm a big Z car fan. My dad raced a '67 Fairlady at Hallett in the 80s while I was growing up, I had an '88 300ZX in high school, then a 350Z a few years after graduating college. 

I was really looking forward to the new Z, it's why I originally held off on ordering a '22 BRZ. The numbers and prices came out, basically a heavy reskinned 370Z with turbo engine that didn't make much more than the NA engine in the 370Z. Add in the higher trim level was $50k+.........at that point I figured spend a few more and get a Supra/SS 1LE/Mach 1.........since I couldn't justify that, I ordered a '23 BRZ.

End goal is to pay off the BRZ as quickly as possible and order a Boxster S. And have both.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/10/23 7:30 a.m.

C8 Corvette. Man, I was really excited about that one. It's still vaguely possible I might get one even though is not at all really viable in my life right now.

Also the rumor of Honda bringing back the Prelude is fun.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
1/10/23 8:46 a.m.

Dodge Omni GLH turbo.  After a year of driving/living in a dodge van camper I was back home, working and making money.  One test drive had me hooked.  Capable of doing 100 with bikes and windsurfers on the roof or chasing down 944s on any road.  Used to wear out comp TAs in less than 10K miles.  Fell apart at 60K but what a fun ride getting there.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/10/23 11:51 a.m.

The 1988 Fiero GT!

I had been driving an 87 Gt for awhile but as a racer of sports cars was unhappy with the stupidly  specced suspension (Chev Citation front cradle moved to the back and Chevette front suspension) - it was definitely sub-par.

Then the offered the 88 with completely new suspension that turned out to be far superior...and cancelled it after one year!  Fortunately I found an 88 that was lightly used (they made less than 7,000 of them.  Tuned the suspension, more than doubled the power with a turbo and enjoyed it for almost 20 years.

(Then GM did it to me again - loved the Solstice GXP coupe, bought one and then the cancelled that model after making only 1200 of them)

IKR
IKR New Reader
1/10/23 12:11 p.m.

When the Hyundai I30 N came out I was very interested because the first Hyundai, the Hyundai Excel, goes down as the worst car I ever drove (100K miles and a sh*& box). I was intrigued at how much it appeared Hyundai got their act together. So when the Hyundai Veloster N came out, I bit and got one. Very happy and best of all it's the car that finally got me on the track (HPDE).

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
1/10/23 1:26 p.m.

C8, but I always knew that I would never live to see the day where one would depreciate enough that I could afford to buy it and still be able to enjoy driving it.  Heck as it is, I am busting too many knuckles and spending too much money/time now trying to bring the performance level of my C5 up to that of a warmed over C6 Z06! wink

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/10/23 2:23 p.m.

I've got a couple:

2002 WRX Wagon: My senior year of HS, I fell in love with the Audi S4 Avant. Saw one at a car show, and absolutely lost it over the car. I kept telling myself I'd own one after I graduated college. Meanwhile, I was doing what all other gearhead teens were doing (playing the Gran Turismo games) and found the WRX wagon. When they were announced for the US, it was like Subaru made a half-price S4 Avant that had 80% of the performance! Sign me up! My plans changed, and in 2005, I bought a lightly used 2002 Platinum Silver WRX Wagon. 

Did it live up to the hype? YES. For me, it was a quick, AWD wagon that could haul all my drums to gigs. It responded well to mods, and it was generally reliable. Honestly, one of my favorite cars I owned. There was just something special about it, and I miss it all the time. 

2009 WRX: When the 2009's were announced with the new 265hp EJ25 and nearly matched the STI on the track/dyno, I had to have one. So, I pre-ordered one, returned my trusty '02 WRX wagon to stock, and spent weeks salivating over this hot hatch that was en-route to the dealer, reading review-after-review of how incredible they were. I traded my WRX in, thinking I made the right choice. 

Did it live up to the hype? NO. It was slower, less nimble, harder to wrench on, and had much worse build quality than my 2002 WRX did. No matter how I modded it, it just felt worse. Then, the problems started. Lots of issues with the car that drove me nuts, so it didn't stay in the fleet very long. I regret buying that over a Mazdaspeed 3 at the time. 

leec
leec New Reader
1/10/23 4:02 p.m.

Maverick, available to try and order for 4 days, multiple versions for different users, sold out for at least MSRP! Nuff said? 

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
1/10/23 7:20 p.m.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/10/23 7:40 p.m.

I was super excited about the 1996 Mustang Cobra.  Being in the Navy and out at sea, I had to wait and get a 97 in late 96.  It would've been a lot better with decent seats and a better suspension.  The suspension and interior really let that car down. 

I'm pretty interested in driving a 2023 Civic Type R too (eventually).  It'd eventually replace my 2018 Si, but I need to drive it a whole lot more (over 100k miles more). 

I was and am still very excited about ND Miatas.  I won't drive one, because I would buy it, especially and ND2 with Recaros.  I'd probably make them bring the paperwork out to me while I stay in the car. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/10/23 8:26 p.m.

The 400z. I like the idea it was an older proven engine, plus it was turbo, it was an existing chassis they where updating and improving (im a huge fan of this after watching the progression of the C5-C7), actual manual transmission, good price, and the early talk from Nissan was very Miata-esque about caring about driver involvement and chassis dynamics.

I admit I havent driven one, but Im pretty let down with what im seeing.

The C8. Wife misses my C5 and watched the premier with me. She immediately started talking about getting a base Z51. When they hit the ground and where all 120K, i completely quit caring about them. Also sad about the lack of a traditional manual, but knew that was coming.

C8 Z51 ... nuf said

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
1/10/23 8:50 p.m.
livinon2wheels said:

The 2017 BRZ I bought new was a mostly brilliant car marketed by a bunch of bumbling fools who would rather piss off their customers than retain them. Hence, it is the very last subaru I will ever buy new. SOA has their head so far up their sphincter they'd have to look out their navel to see where they were going, if they actually cared where they were going. As long as they maintain their politically correct stature with LBGTQCXYZ community and all the other left wing organizations they seek to support, they don't seem to care about the rest of their customer base.

But the car itself, got so many things so very right, I still kick myself for selling it. Truly the most enjoyable car to drive I have ever owned. So yeah, it lived up to the hype. Mostly. The dealer network however, well they didn't. There is a special place in hell for them and the decision makers at SOA. Oh yeah.

For a company that makes weird cars, it's hard to blame their marketing department for carving out a market niche for outdoorsy iconoclasts who like dogs, it's not like there was anyone else they were going to sell cars to.

I say that as someone who leans almost as far to the left and anti-authority as you can get on the Political Compass. 

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
1/10/23 8:56 p.m.
APEowner said:

I don't know why but I was really excited about the new Bronco when it was first teased and I've been happy about how well it's doing now that it's out.  Not that it doesn't have it's issues but from what I understand it pretty much does what it's supposed to really well.  What makes it weird that I'm excited about it is that I have absolute no use for one and can't imagine a scenario in which I'd purchase one.

My brother-in-law waited quite a while to buy one. He's a GM and Jeep guy mostly, so between the things he doesn't love about Fords and the wait time, it didn't seem to live up to the hype for him.

I got to drive it; my expectations were high yet still exceeded. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/23 9:21 p.m.

The '02 WRX was the one I was waiting for. I test drove one when they first came out, and loved it. For some stupid reason (I thought I was being responsible), I didn't buy one. Still kick myself to this day.

On the topic of the Elantra N, Inwas minding my own business waiting in the car while my wife was running an errand. A guy pulled up in a white Elantra N, and it sounded amazing. I was googling specs and price within a minute of seeing it! Glad to hear it lives up to the hype!

Bibs
Bibs New Reader
1/10/23 9:42 p.m.

In my prime car-enthusiast days, before kids, I was so excited for the RX8. 
it was great in many ways, but not quite right for me at the time. Looking back, probably for he best.

After that, the NC Miata was a long anticipated update to the legend of the NA and NB.

I bought a new one in 2006, and still have it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/10/23 10:38 p.m.
billstewartx said:

I stopped by my local Honda dealer parts department today and they had a 2023 in the showroom.  It was kinda nice......what is happening to me.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/10/23 10:52 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
billstewartx said:

I stopped by my local Honda dealer parts department today and they had a 2023 in the showroom.  It was kinda nice......what is happening to me.

The Honda Odyssey is basically one of the greatest vehicles ever made. Don't be ashamed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDfdpMFZvtXIehHtpZtVlofAzfTnZ9Oj3Kz3hudJnsVIIbITaYBsUT9J1DBLIkdh