1 2 3 4
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/26/14 11:56 a.m.

Volvo.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/26/14 12:24 p.m.

Ripping a T5 tag off a junkyard car and gluing it on your tailgate does not make it a real T5. That's what I mean. It's really not complicated.

No different than there being registered Mustang GT350's tagged and on the road today than were ever manufactured by Ford.

Caviat emptor.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/14 12:28 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Ripping a T5 tag off a junkyard car and gluing it on your tailgate does not make it a real T5. That's what I mean. It's really not complicated. No different than there being registered Mustang GT350's tagged and on the road today than were ever manufactured by Ford. Caviat emptor.

Actually it's "caveat," but my question is "why?" You couldn't get a LPT 5-speed V70 in the US. Ergo, if it is a manual turbo, it is a T5. I'm just puzzled by your fear that someone is out there up-badging obscure Volvos. I mean, really? Who would not be able to immediately tell the difference?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 12:30 p.m.

yes, I don't think Volvo ever graced us with the LPT cars

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/26/14 12:51 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Well they did, starting in '97 with the last of the 850 series, the GLT was a LPT, and all S/V70 GLTs after that were LPT.

I don't know if the V70 manual would have been LPT or HPT though the general "badgeing" rule is/was T5 meant HPT, while any designation of engine size, i.e. 2.4T, 2.5T denoted LPT, and 2.4i is N/A.

So Volvoclearinghouse, have you bought the Swedish Wagon yet?

• Lee
NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/26/14 1:46 p.m.

That's a tough call.

Volvo is older but has less mileage, however the drivers side seat looks like its been beat to E36 M3.

Subaru has higher mileage but is 4 years newer.

I think I would get a PPI done on both and choose based on that.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
3/26/14 1:57 p.m.

Check out of both and judge based on overall condition then asses what your needs are if it meets it.

Or get the mazda6 wagon as someone suggested earlier. Never been happier.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/27/14 7:18 a.m.

Did Mazda make those wagons with a proper transmission? Or are they about as rare as a V70 wagon with one? ;-)

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/27/14 8:15 a.m.

They made 'em, but I am not sure how rare they are. This one is expensive.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4363010106.html

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
3/27/14 8:18 a.m.

Have you considered an accord or civic wagon? Civic can be had with awd if that's needed as well. Or there is always the taurus wagon. Good thing about the taurus is that parts are plentiful in ANY U pull it yard across the country.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/27/14 8:26 a.m.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-Mazda6-s-2004-s-Used-3L-V6-24V-Manual-FWD-Sedan-/161234251675?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item258a4f6f9b&vxp=mtr

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/27/14 8:28 a.m.

Accord wagon would also be a good choice.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
3/27/14 8:47 a.m.

Thrre are a few Buick Lesabre wagons in your price range on Ebay.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
3/27/14 8:55 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: Check out of both and judge based on overall condition then asses what your needs are if it meets it. Or get the mazda6 wagon as someone suggested earlier. Never been happier.

Yes but you gotta be patient and lucky like me. I paid about that much for mine for the black one listed above. Worth it. However finding on stick and leather? now THAT is maybe one of several hundred that year.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/27/14 10:35 a.m.

Wow, I do like that 6. Maybe I'll run that past the wife and see if she bites. Accord doesn't make a wagon anymore that I know of, and the Buick falls in the same category as the Roadmaster.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/27/14 6:21 p.m.

How about a Focus Wagon?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/27/14 6:27 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Ripping a T5 tag off a junkyard car and gluing it on your tailgate does not make it a real T5. That's what I mean. It's really not complicated. No different than there being registered Mustang GT350's tagged and on the road today than were ever manufactured by Ford. Caviat emptor.
Actually it's "caveat," but my question is "why?" You couldn't get a LPT 5-speed V70 in the US. Ergo, if it is a manual turbo, it is a T5. I'm just puzzled by your fear that someone is out there up-badging obscure Volvos. I mean, really? Who would not be able to immediately tell the difference?

I'm not overly fearful of it, just make sure it's real. All I see are some blurry pictures in a craigslist add. I've seen many faked cars, just make sure this isn't another. If it's what it's described as being, great!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
3/27/14 6:31 p.m.

Have you considered a Toyota Matrix XRS? 200hp and 6spd manual if I recall correctly.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
3/27/14 8:20 p.m.

The V70 would be twice the car the Subaru ever would be, assuming you don't want AWD. And a FWD Volvo does just great in the snow.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/27/14 9:44 p.m.

Matrix and focus too small, like a Mazda 3. I'm originally from up north, we don't need no stinkin' AWD in snow. 4 wheel drive is for real stuff, like crawling up a rock or a 45 degree muddy incline.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
3/27/14 10:00 p.m.

I would go with the Outback. I think it looks a little better and the maintenance would be cheaper.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/28/14 6:39 a.m.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4385861139.html datsun 210; located practically down the street from you, a mere SR20 away from greatness

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/14 7:42 a.m.

^I'd settle for a manual swap and non-stancey wheels.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
3/28/14 8:20 a.m.

The threshold issue for me is always the "tailgunner" seats. Subaru, Accord, Mazda wagons--all nice. No seating for seven. Why have a wagon that won't do that? My 940 t-wagon will carry seven plus five bicycles and go 120 MPH while doing it. Oh, and a full sized dryer will fit neatly in the back (sadly without the seven passengers--this isn't a school-bus, ya know.)

If you really want to carry a lot of things or people, and you really don't want a truck, it's very hard to beat the Volvo.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/28/14 8:30 a.m.
AaronBalto wrote: The threshold issue for me is always the "tailgunner" seats. Subaru, Accord, Mazda wagons--all nice. No seating for seven. Why have a wagon that won't do that? My 940 t-wagon will carry seven plus five bicycles and go 120 MPH while doing it. Oh, and a full sized dryer will fit neatly in the back (sadly without the seven passengers--this isn't a school-bus, ya know.) If you really want to carry a lot of things or people, and you really don't want a truck, it's very hard to beat the Volvo.

Those seats are not as useful as they appear. You have to be in a narrow range of heights to make use of them, and even then Tunawife disallowed their use on the basis of safety.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kMixIw7M2p0ytlz9zWBLjOrqHDBD1uegTYTTMu81MrO2Hf1D4XJTRF4ADkSUdnPX