1 2 3
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/16 8:18 a.m.

I went on a vision quest Monday night. Abby woke up at 2am like she does, because she is 2, and I couldn't fall back asleep. In my sleep deprived state I began having visions. Glorious visions. Insane never been done before and sure to be a top car in all 3 facets visions.

Last night i busted out the sawzall and got after it. $2017 work has officially begun. This one is staying closer to the vest than the LS swapped Datsun. No build thread, no hints, no teasers, and the inner circle will be castrated if the slip up.

Needless to say, if you find a wrecked or broken frame 2wd 4.8/5.3/6.0 pickup for $500 send it my way. LS swap the EVERYTHING.

Who else has physically begun a clean slate build for next year?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/15/16 8:23 a.m.

Well... I kind of started.... Still working a spreadsheet over on what to do given the rules. Also have another idea that I want to build too, which wont be disclosed.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/15/16 8:24 a.m.

We have. Before this challenge. Amc spirit. Letting it all hang out. No secrets from anybody, except the size of the nitrous pills.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/16 8:34 a.m.

Does the work on the Q45 for last year count? We were supposed to go get our truck this morning but the guy had to go out of town.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
10/15/16 9:09 a.m.

Trying to figure out how to widen a Chevy Luv cab to fit over a C4 chassis. If I solve that conundrum, then I must figure out how to lengthen the cab so my big are will fit

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/15/16 9:13 a.m.

Mine is not going well, not a huge surprise being that it's a 928. Edging towards abortion and start over time.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/16 9:20 a.m.

Mine is started.

I've decided to finally bring something that at least 5 other Challengers have failed to bring.

I'll share (some of the build), when I move a little further. But the best part of the build will definitely NOT be revealed in advance.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/15/16 9:36 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Mine is not going well, not a huge surprise being that it's a 928. Edging towards abotion and start over time.

I tried to bring a 928 to the challenge 3 years ago and it ate the budget alive in deferred maintenance costs.

My 2016 build is continuing for 2017. I'll have some progress to post on my thread soon.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/15/16 9:37 a.m.

I've got an Opel Kadett sedan, Vortec 454, Corvette 4+3, 48" Dana 60, and a giant turbocharger with a budget total under $1k so far. All I need is time...

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
10/15/16 9:51 a.m.

I also have a secret build for next year, all Im willing to say is its going to have not one but TWO snails on it.......

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/16 10:03 a.m.

Kind of. If the car survives between now and then. I'm not skilled or talented enough to keep that build a secret though.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/16 11:05 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Mine is started. I've decided to finally bring something that at least 5 other Challengers have failed to bring. I'll share (some of the build), when I move a little further. But the best part of the build will definitely NOT be revealed in advance.

torque?

a clapped out lotus?

tb
tb HalfDork
10/15/16 11:05 a.m.

Nope, not at all. I have a plan, if that counts for anything...

I am going to do several things that I have never done before in an attempt to make it easier on my crippled ass. The Acura (Honda?) will return, making it the first time that I have brought the same car more than once. It will be towed down to FL, making it the first time I have ever pulled a car to any type of racing event. Also, I will probably bring my wife (not her first challenge) and my daughter (possibly her first event and certainly first challenge) to help out and enjoy the fun.

The car has one appearance left as a Halloween prop at a local event and then it gets put to bed for the winter. Withing a month it will be up on jack stands and under a cover until the weather gets nice again and I have gathered a large pile of parts. Next year I will start on prettier, lighter and boosted.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/16 11:21 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
SVreX wrote: Mine is started. I've decided to finally bring something that at least 5 other Challengers have failed to bring. I'll share (some of the build), when I move a little further. But the best part of the build will definitely NOT be revealed in advance.
torque? a clapped out lotus?

Well, I'll say the weight to power ratio will be about 8.7:1, it won't have a turbo, it will be RWD, and it won't be a Miata. :-P

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/16 11:53 a.m.

I am building an ex Challenge car with a heart transplant. Still need to determine how to afford wheels and tires, but if that's my biggest problem I'm okay.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/16 12:05 p.m.

I traded my Challenge car for another Challenge car, which will be the donor car for the actual Challenge car. I daily drive one of them right now.

Somehow I still have a fiance.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/15/16 1:04 p.m.

Yes, that is all

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/16 1:19 p.m.

Yes. Somthing that I have pondered for a very long time. Somthing that with the help of getting some parts from MO30 I think I can actually pull off. The only issue will be my time. But that is always an issue.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
10/15/16 2:09 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: Trying to figure out how to widen a Chevy Luv cab to fit over a C4 chassis. If I solve that conundrum, then I must figure out how to lengthen the cab so my big are will fit

A saws-all and welder can fix ANYTHING!

I just picked up wheels with what I believe to be the correct offset for the Lincoln... Plus some 4 piston brake calipers (not sure if they will work yet)

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/15/16 2:23 p.m.

Does working on acquiring the vehicle count?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/16 2:26 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Does working on acquiring the vehicle count?

I say it only counts after your first sawzall cut.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/15/16 5:38 p.m.

I have started as well. I may actually keep this one for awhile after the challenge. A pickup truck is handy to have around.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/16 5:41 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
patgizz wrote:
torque? a clapped out lotus?
Well, I'll say the weight to power ratio will be about 8.7:1, it won't have a turbo, it will be RWD, and it won't be a Miata. :-P

Pretty sure I know what that means. If it does, I'll be sad that someone finally beat me to it, but glad it'll be you

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
10/15/16 5:43 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: Does working on acquiring the vehicle count?
I say it only counts after your first sawzall cut.

Darn, then I'm at least a month from starting. Unless I buy a drivetrain donor before I get the challenge vehicle

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
10/15/16 5:53 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: Yes we have

This Is Intimidating

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IurNs4Mtjl9JY2u0icqgVej5BYlWs1Rx6hybzMUT4uztkf6Ky9bL7Ap8E5jQEEYs