1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 5:56 p.m.

4-lane, divided highway running north and south.

At an East-West intersection, the Southbound traffic has a dedicated right turn lane. At the end of this lane, there is a yield sign.

Northbound traffic has a dedicated left turn lane with a left turn signal. This is not an intersection where said left arrow ever goes red. I.e., when the light is green, I would yield to Southbound traffic if I was turning left.

SO, if I'm heading South and attempting to turn right on a GREEN light at this intersection, and someone heading Northbound decides to turn left, and I don't give up the right of way, who gets the ticket? Keep in mind, I have the Yield sign. I assume the purpose of this sign is to let me know I need to yield to traffic heading west if the light is red. Am I wrong?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/15/13 6:00 p.m.

If there is a yield sign at the end of your lane, you get the ticket, I'd say. If you were proceeding straight through the intersection, the left turner would have to yield.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/15/13 6:01 p.m.

You had a green light. No need to yield the right of way. Lefty gets the ticket.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 6:16 p.m.

It begins....

And I like ZW's answer better. Btw, this E36 M3 happens EVERY berkeleyING DAY, and drives me insane.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/15/13 6:16 p.m.

Is this what you mean, with regards to that dedicated right turn lane with a yield sign?

If so, around here, you get the ticket for failing to yield.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 6:19 p.m.

No. That is not at all what I mean. I'll draw a funny picture tomorrow. There is no stop sign. There is traffic in all four directions.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/15/13 6:19 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: 4-lane, divided highway running north and south. At an East-West intersection, the Southbound traffic has a dedicated right turn lane. At the end of this lane, there is a yield sign. Northbound traffic has a dedicated left turn lane with a left turn signal. This is not an intersection where said left arrow ever goes red. I.e., when the light is green, I would yield to Southbound traffic if I was turning left. SO, if I'm heading South and attempting to turn right on a GREEN light at this intersection, and someone heading Northbound decides to turn left, and I don't give up the right of way, who gets the ticket? Keep in mind, I have the Yield sign. I assume the purpose of this sign is to let me know I need to yield to traffic heading west if the light is red. Am I wrong?

You aren't talking about the intersection of Chamblee-Dunwoody Rd and I-285 West bound are you because for the love of God and all that is wrong in the autoing world this exact same thing exists there, except both have a 'lane' for 2 car lengths that merges, yet no one turning left ever seems able to stay in their lane and since they know I have a yield but they have nothing more than an unprotected left hand turn, I'm nearly always getting into an accident there... OK after re-reading it's not exactly the same, they don't have a protected left hand turn, but they have that 'lane' split, so it adds a different wrinkle of ambiguity...

OH, and I follow the exact same thing ZW, since I have green, and I'm turning RIGHT, I have Right of Way...

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
1/15/13 6:25 p.m.

I googled yield sign and green light and found a similar topic

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90867

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 6:31 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: I googled yield sign and green light and found a similar topic http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90867

Couldn't read that enough times for it to make sense. My post is probably just as bad. I'll link a satellite pic tomorrow. Tough to do from phone.

Or if you're interested in looking it up, it's Philadelphia Road and Hwy 515, Jasper Ga. I'd be at the "top left" of the intersection; headed Southbound, turning right on green.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 6:40 p.m.

In SC, if you are turning left you yield to everything. That said if the right turn lane has a yield sign, it takes precedence. The right turn lane should yield to everything.

I have nothing to back that up, but that's how I would read it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/15/13 6:40 p.m.

I'm pretty sure you're expected to yield to everyone. The NB left turn light yields to on coming SB traffic. SB right turn yields to NB left turn traffic.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/15/13 7:16 p.m.

I didn't catch that YOU had a yield sign. You should probably have to yield to lefty

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 7:35 p.m.

The right turn yield is for crossways traffic. The left turn yields to oncoming traffic even if they are turning right.

The vehicle turning right needs to watch for crossways traffic, not turning traffic.

The vehicle turning left will yield to the oncoming vehicle that is turning.

Left turn gets the ticket.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 7:42 p.m.

That's what the berkeley I'm talkin 'bout! We need a LEO on GRM.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/13 7:45 p.m.

In Texas right of way on a public roadway is defined by who shall yield. In most cases the vehicle crossing traffic, in other words turning left, shall yield. There are some cases where this may not be true such as some controlled access roads, frontage roads, and upon direction from a uniformed traffic control device( a cop).

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/13 7:47 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

I am

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 7:57 p.m.

Sweet. So in this scenario, I would have the right of way, correct? Does there need to be a pair of skid marks, or can I just tee-up on the front tire and pin it?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 7:59 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Since they are turning traffic and not cross-ways traffic in that specific situation, they get the ticket because they didn't yield to you, the oncoming traffic.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/13 7:59 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: The right turn yield is for crossways traffic. The left turn yields to oncoming traffic even if they are turning right. The vehicle turning right needs to watch for crossways traffic, not turning traffic. The vehicle turning left will yield to the oncoming vehicle that is turning. Left turn gets the ticket.

Wait a minute...

We've got an intersection in town I drive through every day.

It is a "Tee" intersection. That is to say, road "B" dead ends into road"A", therefore road "A" has NO cross traffic.

My route home includes heading WB on road "A", and making a right onto road "B". There is a turn lane for those making a right.

I am making a right turn from road "A" onto road "B" with NO POSSIBILITY of crosstraffic, but there is a yield sign in the turn lane. The only possible traffic to yield to are those making a left turn onto road "B".

I think it is pretty weird, since people making a left should always yield the right of way, but not at this corner. Cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B" from the west.

I've always just chalked it up to being a product of the GA public school system.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/15/13 8:02 p.m.

I'm seeing a pattern of these funky yields, 3 in GA and counting...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 8:04 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Every intersection can be different, every state law can be different, every school system can be different.

Does that left turn ever get a green light? That would mean the right turn has to yield to the left turn which is now considered oncoming traffic due to a green light.

At a stop sign, if two vehicles arrive at the same time, left yields to forward which doesn't have to yield to right (because no one does).

So:
Right > Straight > Left

Should be the same with yield signs.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 8:11 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: The right turn yield is for crossways traffic. The left turn yields to oncoming traffic even if they are turning right. The vehicle turning right needs to watch for crossways traffic, not turning traffic. The vehicle turning left will yield to the oncoming vehicle that is turning. Left turn gets the ticket.
Wait a minute... We've got an intersection in town I drive through every day. It is a "Tee" intersection. That is to say, road "B" dead ends into road"A", therefore road "A" has NO cross traffic. My route home includes heading WB on road "A", and making a right onto road "B". There is a turn lane for those making a right. I am making a right turn from road "A" onto road "B" with NO POSSIBILITY of crosstraffic, but there is a yield sign in the turn lane. The only possible traffic to yield to are those making a left turn onto road "B". I think it is pretty weird, since people making a left should always yield the right of way, but not at this corner. Cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B" from the west. I've always just chalked it up to being a product of the GA public school system.

The yield sign is there to let you know to yield if you're turning right on red. Same as in my scenario. I would assume that the people heading the opposite direction on road A have a left arrow; so you need to yield to them when they have an arrow and you have a red light.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/15/13 8:21 p.m.

Since the SB right turn is a separate lane, putting the right turner a little further from the intersection (if I'm picturing it right), by the distance the NB left turner would be, wouldn't the left turner essentially be WB then, making him the traffic that SB right turners should yield to?

Sorry for the run-on sentence.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/15/13 8:27 p.m.

Is this it?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 8:31 p.m.

That is the intersection. I would be at the top left, heading south, turning right (West)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sjl9E0eDSKDbkkRcW7bJhSHGCPDwTysWNiTnKZc5k1tBZwm54lcpbjQ4nxjo7fAg