1 2 3
N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 8:47 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Regardless of how many more details you give us, the LEFT TURN WILL STILL GET THE berkeleyING TICKET!

Wait... you didn't mention you had a turn lane with a merging lane. now you're merging with traffic, not turning into it. Now its your ticket.

Hal
Hal Dork
1/15/13 8:55 p.m.

I have two intersections like that near my house. I can guarentee you that if I do not yield I will get a ticket, BTDT. I live in MD same as Foxtrapper and a yield sign takes presidence over any others.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:04 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to poopshovel: Regardless of how many more details you give us, the LEFT TURN WILL STILL GET THE berkeleyING TICKET! Wait... you didn't mention you had a turn lane with a merging lane. now you're merging with traffic, not turning into it. Now its your ticket.

How the berkeley is that a "merge" lane? I'm getting OFF a 4-lane hwy ONTO a 2-lane road.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to poopshovel: Regardless of how many more details you give us, the LEFT TURN WILL STILL GET THE berkeleyING TICKET! Wait... you didn't mention you had a turn lane with a merging lane. now you're merging with traffic, not turning into it. Now its your ticket.
How the berkeley is that a "merge" lane? I'm getting OFF a 4-lane hwy ONTO a 2-lane road.

It separates into a lane designated for turning (therefore you are no longer oncoming traffic) and merges back into the other road, so you should be yielding at the sign for oncoming traffic. Since you were not in the group of oncoming traffic, the other vehicle had the right to turn and you will merge into that lane, so they have right of way.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/13 9:13 p.m.

In Georgia I don't know, but here in the Lone Star State( you know- God's Country). The seperate lane for the yield signal on a 4 lane divided roadway turning to a 2 lane road makes a difference. TRC 545.121 covers left turns , but 545.543(I think that's the one) says that a collision at an intersection with a lane governed by a yield sign is prima facie evidence that you did not yield the lane. EDIT: sorry that is TRC 545.153(d) for the yield statute Clear as mud huh?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:14 p.m.

I have no more arguments because I just popped a Valium. Goodnight.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:20 p.m.

I think I'm just going to stop signaling, and stop using the turning lane, i.e. "Late apex." Problem solved. At least the E36 M3 stain turning left will be BEHIND me at that point, instead of in front of me doing 35 mph brake-checking me all the way home.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:22 p.m.
Valium

berkeleyer. Evan and Nyquil for me.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/13 9:32 p.m.

If theres no collision theres no such thing as right of way.

In other news...Jerry Jones has turned into Al Davis and is running the Cowboys into the ground, and Spaten Oktoberfest is pretty good.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 9:54 p.m.

There are few things I enjoy more than watching the Cowgirls fail. On that short list is bestowing justice upon those who've commited traffic sins with my big white hammer of justice, so I'm gonna have one more whiskey, two more nyquil tabs, and park my ass at that intersection waiting to berkeleying t-bone a van full of nuns and orphans. I'll let you know what the cop says regarding right of way.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/15/13 10:13 p.m.

There is a yield sign. You are coming to the yield sign. The yield sign is for the lane in which you are travelling. That means yield to other traffic in every jurisdiction I have ever encountered. By the time the left turning guy is to your position by the yield sign, he is now through traffic, since you are coming onto a single lane of traffic. If you drive through a yield sign and hit a car, you are at fault because you ignored the yield sign which was telling you to yield to the car you just hit.

Yield signs generally mean you yield right of way...I could go on, if you would like.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/15/13 10:25 p.m.

Got it. Seems berkeleying retarded to me. I yield when I'm going northbound turning left at that light. As the guy turning left (in theory) I don't know the guy turning right has a yield sign. Whatever. berkeleying retarded, but them's the rules, I suppose. I'll do the late apex thing with no signal from now on.

Mental
Mental PowerDork
1/16/13 4:50 a.m.

Everyone who has ever spent any time with knows good and well;

You get the ticket. You could be turning left from the west bound lane, sitting at the stoplight, watch the soutbound car get smacked by the deadicated turn lane with the yeild sign and still get the tickett. It always your fault. I am in the middle east and almost got sideswacked by a minivan of Third Courty Nationals (TCNs) this morning.

You still get the tickett.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/16/13 5:54 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
SVreX wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: The right turn yield is for crossways traffic. The left turn yields to oncoming traffic even if they are turning right. The vehicle turning right needs to watch for crossways traffic, not turning traffic. The vehicle turning left will yield to the oncoming vehicle that is turning. Left turn gets the ticket.
Wait a minute... We've got an intersection in town I drive through every day. It is a "Tee" intersection. That is to say, road "B" dead ends into road"A", therefore road "A" has NO cross traffic. My route home includes heading WB on road "A", and making a right onto road "B". There is a turn lane for those making a right. I am making a right turn from road "A" onto road "B" with NO POSSIBILITY of crosstraffic, but there is a yield sign in the turn lane. The only possible traffic to yield to are those making a left turn onto road "B". I think it is pretty weird, since people making a left should always yield the right of way, but not at this corner. Cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B" from the west. I've always just chalked it up to being a product of the GA public school system.
The yield sign is there to let you know to yield if you're turning right on red. Same as in my scenario. I would assume that the people heading the opposite direction on road A have a left arrow; so you need to yield to them when they have an arrow and you have a red light.

There is no traffic light in my example. I gave ALL the info. The ONLY sign is a yield sign for those making a right turn.

Again, cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B".

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/16/13 6:35 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: That is the intersection. I would be at the top left, heading south, turning right (West)

So it is what I showed, that you said it wasn't.

You have a yield sign, and are merging into traffic, after the intersection. You would get the ticket around here, usually.

That said, laws vary and you can get local weirdness. We've two here, the boulevard rule and the avoidance rule.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 6:56 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
SVreX wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: The right turn yield is for crossways traffic. The left turn yields to oncoming traffic even if they are turning right. The vehicle turning right needs to watch for crossways traffic, not turning traffic. The vehicle turning left will yield to the oncoming vehicle that is turning. Left turn gets the ticket.
Wait a minute... We've got an intersection in town I drive through every day. It is a "Tee" intersection. That is to say, road "B" dead ends into road"A", therefore road "A" has NO cross traffic. My route home includes heading WB on road "A", and making a right onto road "B". There is a turn lane for those making a right. I am making a right turn from road "A" onto road "B" with NO POSSIBILITY of crosstraffic, but there is a yield sign in the turn lane. The only possible traffic to yield to are those making a left turn onto road "B". I think it is pretty weird, since people making a left should always yield the right of way, but not at this corner. Cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B" from the west. I've always just chalked it up to being a product of the GA public school system.
The yield sign is there to let you know to yield if you're turning right on red. Same as in my scenario. I would assume that the people heading the opposite direction on road A have a left arrow; so you need to yield to them when they have an arrow and you have a red light.
There is no traffic light in my example. I gave ALL the info. The ONLY sign is a yield sign for those making a right turn. Again, cars making a right onto road "B" from the east yield to cars making a left onto road "B".

Sounds like someone put a sign where there don't need be no siiign.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 7:02 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: We've two here, the boulevard rule and the avoidance rule.

Dear lord. I think we have them every berkeleying five feet and each one is slightly different.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/16/13 7:31 a.m.

My opinion is that if the northbound person had a green left turn arrow, you are at fault. But I'm no LEO.

BTW, that intersection doesn't look like it has enough lanes.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 7:33 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: My opinion is that if the northbound person had a green left turn arrow, you are at fault. But I'm no LEO. BTW, that intersection doesn't look like it has enough lanes.

Most roads are designed by the special school district.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/16/13 7:35 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: My opinion is that if the northbound person had a green left turn arrow, you are at fault. But I'm no LEO. BTW, that intersection doesn't look like it has enough lanes.
Most roads are designed by the special school district.

You mean the special ed school district?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 7:41 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Same thing here.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/16/13 8:31 a.m.

disclaimer: I'm no LEO nor am I an attorney ... that said ... if it says yield, then to me that's what it means .... if I don't yield for whatever reason then I'm at fault ... but that's just my opinion/the way I see it

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/13 9:41 a.m.

poop, you'd get the ticket. once the northbound vehicle has made it across the southbound lanes, he is now westbound and you must yield to him -- or sack up and weld your diff so you can WOT that berkeleyer and get in front of him.

srsly, too much incorrect interchange of the words "yield" and "merge" above. "merge" means "take turns"; "yield" means "wait however long is required until you have a clear opportunity to proceed."

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/16/13 9:42 a.m.
once the northbound vehicle has made it across the southbound lanes, he is now westbound and you must yield to him

That makes sense. GOT IT!!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
1/16/13 9:49 a.m.

~I~ get the ticket. I know, it makes no sense. Doesn't matter where it is or what I'm doing, but that's the way it works. Accident happens, and the popo will come all the way up to ~my~ house, and give me the ticket just because. But ~I'm~ not bitter.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eO3pqGz6NKlfrIvjJgpVK6F3sVMSUk6PYQq6LqZndhRNTWSb7LdUmtH32sS9nP23