1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/5/18 10:01 a.m.

I have a zip tie installer / cutter at work and it is one of the greatest creations on earth.  I hate grazing a zip tied wire bundle or hose and getting one of those cuts that is just deep enough to get all on the nerves.  Zip tie cutters leave a flat and smooth cut right at the joint.  They also have adjustable tension to get every thing just right with out crushing too hard.

Not a canoe, just buy one and enjoy.  Panduit makes one and I'm sure other also.

The German RV wiring thread reminded me to post this.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/5/18 10:26 a.m.

Those are really nice. When I was installing wire bundles in aircraft they were great for making sure that you don't over tighten the zip tie. They can be a bit of an issue in tight spots however.

I keep a set of those green handled flush cuts in my box for zip ties at home. I used to scold junior mechanics all the time for cutting safety wire with them with the work box sets.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/18 10:40 a.m.

This is the one I have. Love it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/18 11:01 a.m.

All you really need are a pair of these:

... and about 1 second per ziptie's worth of care in workmanship.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/5/18 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

The small ones with a little custom grind work best but the cutters make an absolutely flush cut.  I don't have a tie cutter at home yet and use sidecuts there. 

Most areas are not a real concern but in areas that your arm may contact one of those buggers even a careful side cut can leave an opportunity for a blood sacrifice.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/5/18 11:40 a.m.

I bought my zip tie gun at an estate sale and I actually didn't know what it was at the time. I just figured for $1 or $2 i'd just buy it and show it to my friend later who would almost certainly know what it was. That's what happened, and i've been happily using my zip tie gun ever since. cheeky

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/5/18 11:54 a.m.

nail clippers. cuts to a curve w/out the pokey edges of the zip tie. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/18 12:34 p.m.

Close to 40 years ago I was reprimanded by my mechanic for the sharp ends on a zip tie.

He taught me to grab the loose end close to the buckle with a pair of needle-nose vice grips and twist the tag end off. No sharp edges.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/5/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Good idea, I'll pick up a large set for the garage.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
12/5/18 12:50 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Close to 40 years ago I was reprimanded by my mechanic for the sharp ends on a zip tie.

He taught me to grab the loose end close to the buckle with a pair of needle-nose vice grips and twist the tag end off. No sharp edges.

Came here to say this.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/5/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Yup.  Except I use a pair of Klein lineman's pliers.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
12/5/18 1:17 p.m.

Since I work at a bicycle shop, I use the 3rd hand tool for zip ties it's meant for brake cables but 99% of the time mechanics use them for zip ties lol

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/5/18 1:27 p.m.
echoechoecho said:

Since I work at a bicycle shop, I use the 3rd hand tool for zip ties it's meant for brake cables but 99% of the time mechanics use them for zip ties lol

I miss having one of those always handy.

Working at a bike shop is also where I learned to use the nail clippers.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 1:30 p.m.

I use a set of Xuron flush cutters. No razor like cuts for me. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/5/18 1:55 p.m.
echoechoecho said:

Cool, i just bought one. Never even seen one before! I'll use that for when my zip tie gun ends up cutting the tip before its pulled as tight as i want it (larger ones). yes

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
12/5/18 2:02 p.m.

I WAS a THINKING HE WOULD SEND ME HIS  cut tie wraps to extend tie wraps ........................... 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 2:02 p.m.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/18 2:03 p.m.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/18 2:25 p.m.

I've lectured at conventions about this very thing; true story. I've got a 35 year old scar on my left thumb from a zip-tie that was poorly terminated. Regular side cutters can leave a knife so I suggest getting a pair of flush cutters like the ones Woody shows up there. The zip-tie tensioner/cutters are the best, but sometimes you can't get them into where you're properly aligned and then you'll want the flush cutters.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/18 2:27 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Yeah, that's a solution. Trouble is, looks like E36 M3 when you're wrapping a wiring harness with a billion of 'em. Or pretty much anywhere.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/5/18 3:02 p.m.

Yes, you can cut them off with side cutters, everyone knows that.  However, the dedicated tool does a better and more consistent job.

pirate
pirate Reader
12/5/18 3:05 p.m.

Have one of these that tightens and cuts off zip tie end flush with buckle thingy. Works great especially when you have to reach or can only use one hand in a tight space. Mine is Eastwood but purchased on Amazon. There are other cheaper models but can say this one works great. Works on all size zip ties at least all I have ever used.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/5/18 3:35 p.m.

I can't remember how long I've had mine. Decades. I like to run down the row of zip ties, bang, bang, bang. Each one equally tensioned and cut off smooth as quick as you can pull the handle.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/5/18 3:49 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Yup.  Except I use a pair of Klein lineman's pliers.

Those are the same ones I use for twisting them off.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/18 3:55 p.m.

Yeah, I picked up my flush cutters like the ones Woody linked to for $3 at the local hardware store.  I bought a second pair for the wiring bag.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6g1CZjJEg8Fn7aEV5Sb41QODA4FuY92wt5FQOlSKpuCpKTjLkmMlE9BLKlmx2AJF