1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/20/13 2:57 p.m.

GRM has gotten involved with The Starting Line, an autocross school hosted by the SCCA, Evolution Driving School and The Tire Rack. The package includes just about everything needed to get started: instruction, helmet, SCCA membership and, of course, a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports.

Details: http://www.sccastartingline.com

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
1/20/13 3:02 p.m.

Are you implying I haven't learned enough by reading about Autocrossing online?

EDIT: Predictably enough, nearest event is 1200 miles South of me.
Curse you PNW, guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
1/20/13 3:27 p.m.

I've been a-x for 10 yrs now .. guess it's time to take a class

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/20/13 4:59 p.m.

7 locations for the whole U.S.? Well, I guess it's a start.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
1/20/13 9:37 p.m.

i don't need nobody to tell me how to autocross, I know it all.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/20/13 9:46 p.m.

You're s'posed to hit all the cones, and high score wins....right?

tausif
tausif None
1/21/13 2:42 a.m.

Is there something planned for Canada, especially Toronto area. I am also curious if there are a substantial number of GRM subscribers North of the border.

Looking for some autocrosses and autocrossers in CA

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/13 5:24 a.m.
tausif wrote: Is there something planned for Canada, especially Toronto area. I am also curious if there are a substantial number of GRM subscribers North of the border. Looking for some autocrosses and autocrossers in CA

There certainly is an active autox scene in ON and Quebec. I am not sure how many Canadian GRMers there are. I am one.

kylini
kylini New Reader
1/21/13 6:00 a.m.

Too bad I already bought my dad a GRM subscription! This is a hell of a deal for anyone still using a loaner helmet but wanting to race more.

EDIT: didn't notice the price hike if you actually get the helmet. Still, $400 for a day of school, two free events (one which is Nationals), a year of membership, and an open-face helmet ain't bad.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/21/13 9:54 a.m.

OOOH!!

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/21/13 10:03 a.m.
mndsm wrote: You're s'posed to hit all the cones, and high score wins....right?

Sadly, I normally take the opportunity to do this on one of my runs......occasionally, I find out I can go that faster than I thought.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/13 10:28 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: 7 locations for the whole U.S.? Well, I guess it's a start.

And pretty much nothing in the midwest... closest to me is Atlanta, a good haul away from my home here in Lexington.

Though I suppose I could drag a trailer down and bring back something from the mystical land of Atlanta's used car market...

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/21/13 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Pontiac is about the same time too.... But it's Pontiac, the land of asphalt, rust, and many other unmentionables.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/21/13 10:56 a.m.
mndsm wrote: You're s'posed to hit all the cones, and high score wins....right?

So that's what I have been doing wrong!

I do think the Starting Line is a good idea to help people get into autocross. Wish this was around when I started 11 years ago.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
1/21/13 12:38 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
carguy123 wrote: 7 locations for the whole U.S.? Well, I guess it's a start.
And pretty much nothing in the midwest... closest to me is Atlanta, a good haul away from my home here in Lexington. Though I suppose I could drag a trailer down and bring back something from the mystical land of Atlanta's used car market...

Nothing in the midwest... except for St. Louis, Pontiac MI, and Milwaukee.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/13 12:48 p.m.
mtn wrote: Nothing in the midwest... except for St. Louis, Pontiac MI, and Milwaukee.

I didn't notice the STL one (the page doesn't display well on the ancient browsers we have at work), but it's still a good haul from here. I probably wouldn't have said anything at all had I not been able to make the joke about getting cars from Atlanta.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/21/13 1:00 p.m.

I actually think I am going to do this. I am about half an hour from the Pontiac location and I have already auto crossed there in the past. I think I need all the help I can get after my last season.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
1/22/13 3:19 p.m.

Isn't that DILYSIDave's Civic in the background?

Reference photo...

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/13 3:47 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: EDIT: Predictably enough, nearest event is 1200 miles South of me. Curse you PNW, guess I'll have to learn the old fashioned way

I believe Evolution has made it to the Packwood, WA course before, though without the GRM assocation. Unless I'm mixing them up with a different school, I was on my way to mail in my registration when my E30 was rear-ended and totaled

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/13 5:10 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: Isn't that DILYSIDave's Civic in the background?

Yeah but he sold it some time ago.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
1/22/13 5:41 p.m.

550 miles ... kinda doable ... hmmmm ...

old_gregg
old_gregg New Reader
1/22/13 6:37 p.m.

That looks pretty sweet! If only I had $400 to spare I'd be all over it.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/22/13 6:46 p.m.

Coming from road racing, I tried auto-x w/ mixed results. We didn't really speak the same language and I felt like an outsider.. the progression was kinda assbackwards too but it never clicked.

being SCCA, GRM, have helmet already etc. outside the deal, are there schools otherwise?

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
1/22/13 9:07 p.m.

This looks like a really cool way to go from zero to racer in $325 (or more to get a helmet at the same time, which is also a pretty sweet option). Even now I've never experienced a national level SCCA event, and I've been autocrossing for around 15 years on and off. (Admittedly, I've driven a lot of events among national caliber drivers here in New England.) Hopefully getting shut out by top drivers doesn't frustrate people. From what I've seen, that shouldn't be a problem - they'll be too pumped about getting to drive like a maniac to care. I know I am.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
1/30/13 4:21 p.m.

I've been looking into this lately. The Pontiac Silverdome is literally 3 minutes from my G/F's house... I think we both might sign up...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QSdSSZ5IxhjixcYUGXXW3TJ2WPF941r5o8EvVkQ3T14HnTbLMZtvkck6aiSEEDMi