1 2
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/14/09 12:00 p.m.
Duke wrote: What I want to know is what's up with all the giant overscaled grille openings these days, most of which are actually nonfunctional because they are just black plastic with fake ribs instead of a real air inlet? I mean, if you're making something hideous, at least make it hideous and functional.

Audi started it. Then everybody copied. It's my least favorite automotive styling trend.

sjd
sjd New Reader
4/16/09 7:29 p.m.

It's in the name of aerodynamics. That's why lights look like this.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/09 10:27 p.m.

Ummmm, no. Lights that pop the hell out of the bodywork like a fat chicks rolls are NOT aerodynamic. You see any of that E36 M3 at Bonneville or Maxton?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/16/09 10:40 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Yeah, protruding taillights are a new thing: Shawn

sjd
sjd New Reader
4/17/09 8:24 a.m.
P71 wrote: Ummmm, no. Lights that pop the hell out of the bodywork like a fat chicks rolls are NOT aerodynamic. You see any of that E36 M3 at Bonneville or Maxton?

Ummmm, yes.

You can't compare single purpose top speed cars with every day passenger cars that have to make design compromises.

Mazda talking about the 2009 MX-5:

"The bulge below the front fog lamps, the wider air deflectors ahead of the front tires, the redesigned side sills, the reshaped lower corners of the rear bumper and even the taillights all contribute to a measurably lower coefficient of drag."

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/2009-mx-5

I've read some technical articles on the aero benefits, but can't find them at the moment.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/09 8:44 a.m.

None of those attributes mention headlights that flare 3" out of the bodywork.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/17/09 9:11 a.m.

I'm no aero engineer but even I understand that if something sticks out past the surface it has the potential to create drag. Heck, that's why all the manufacturers went to the 'flush mount' side glass at no small engineering expense, the older deep set glass with chrome trim etc was creating all kinds of drag. Then there's the old skool 'flag' mirrors which gave way to the 'door patch' type, same reason. Even small stuff like emblems were moved or redesigned for that extra little bit of drag reduction.

So Mazda's contention that the bulging taillights help with aeros sounds a lot like 'rich Corinthian leather'.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
4/17/09 11:12 a.m.

Aircraft:

Countersunk rivets > Round head rivets.

'nuff said.

Shawn

subrew
subrew New Reader
4/17/09 2:19 p.m.

Many of the current bulging lights do away with the requirement for having a separate side marker light.

Chris H.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/09 2:33 p.m.

They did that with normal lights too though, especially the rear ones.

Fritz_the_Cat
Fritz_the_Cat New Reader
4/17/09 4:33 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Fins

I thought you were gonna break into a Jimmy Buffett song for a second there....

... but just for a second.

Moparman
Moparman Reader
4/17/09 7:00 p.m.

Things go in trends. The 50s had protruding lights. Recessed lights became popular from the 60s to the 80s (very unaerodynamic).

Fastbacks became popular in the 60s Hatchbacks and liftbacks in the 70s and 80s. The late 70s Monte Carlos had horizontal backlights. Ford ushered in the jellybean look with the mid 80s T-Bird, Tempo and Taurus.

One manufacturer will hit on a trend and the rest will copy. After a while, a laggard manufacturer will seek to boost sales and will start a new trend (Chrysler Mini-van, Subaru AWD cars, etc,) and it starts all over again.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
4/17/09 10:05 p.m.
subrew wrote: Many of the current bulging lights do away with the requirement for having a separate side marker light. Chris H.

^ FTW The accountants always have the final say.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
av0nbVkhUiPMzSPcfreuu1HC4WUyfUckSlgNuz0mt8ZsmWxDFhfo7T8KF0CM7tSQ