1 2 3 4 5
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/13 1:03 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: People get bent out of shape about the wrong things.

But this isn't one of them.

Kinda like people who say Vokeswagon. That one needs a throatpunchin'.

Knurled
7/26/13 1:05 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
turboswede wrote: Mostly because Porsh typically refers to the ignorant masses that bought them without a clue as to why they are such good cars.
This. Why would anyone WANT to be perceived as willfully ignorant? This is part of the problem with society today, holding dumbass opinions for the sake of holding them has gotten to be more important than knowing what you are talking about. Why sound like you're on the set of Idiocracy? Is it some sort of reverse elitist thing where you want to say things wrong just to piss of people who do know what they are talking about?

Ever read any car magazine out of the UK? They take willful ignorance and make it a form of art. I think there must be some aristocratic bent in the subconscious where only the lower classes know how things work, so being blatantly wrong on technical matters means that you're of better parenting.

Just my observation from Over Here, anyway.

(and this is just one more reason why Top Gear is unwatchable)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
7/26/13 1:06 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Shall we discuss lieutenant ? N.B. It's prounounced 'lef-TEN-ent'
Yeah, and Prius is pronounce "Pry-us".

No, it's prounounced Pius

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/13 1:08 p.m.

Did they make one of those language maps somebody posted a few weeks ago about this debate?

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/26/13 1:11 p.m.

With a name like this, you would think the would be a more laid back crowd.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/26/13 1:12 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
turboswede wrote: Mostly because Porsh typically refers to the ignorant masses that bought them without a clue as to why they are such good cars.
This. Why would anyone WANT to be perceived as willfully ignorant? This is part of the problem with society today, holding dumbass opinions for the sake of holding them has gotten to be more important than knowing what you are talking about. Why sound like you're on the set of Idiocracy? Is it some sort of reverse elitist thing where you want to say things wrong just to piss of people who do know what they are talking about?
Ever read any car magazine out of the UK? They take willful ignorance and make it a form of art. I think there must be some aristocratic bent in the subconscious where only the lower classes know how things work, so being blatantly wrong on technical matters means that you're of better parenting. Just my observation from Over Here, anyway. (and this is just one more reason why Top Gear is unwatchable)

Don't get your torques all in a wad, there Pius!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/13 1:19 p.m.
Knurled wrote: (and this is just one more reason why Top Gear is unwatchable)

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/26/13 1:21 p.m.
sporqster wrote: Ferdinand Porsche designed the Porsh. ;-)

I believe you are incorrect. Then again, I don't really care.

Knurled
7/26/13 1:21 p.m.

Top Gear never tests any interesting cars, anyway. Just exotics and other crap.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/26/13 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

And you use the word "test" very, very loosely.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/26/13 1:26 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: I'm just racking up new ways to irritate car snobs.

You mean like Oil/Air-cooled vs. Water-cooled Porsche guys?

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
7/26/13 1:29 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: This. Why would anyone WANT to be perceived as willfully ignorant? This is part of the problem with society today, holding dumbass opinions for the sake of holding them has gotten to be more important than knowing what you are talking about. Why sound like you're on the set of Idiocracy? Is it some sort of reverse elitist thing where you want to say things wrong just to piss of people who do know what they are talking about? Might as well say Alpha Romero (and there's a guy around her with a GTV6 that has that on the side of his car in big vinyl letters. Jesus, it's printed correctly on the back, why can't you get it right?)

we do it just to annoy people like you... it's like a game... if i ever get an old air cooled Porsh, i'll just refer to it as a glorified People's Car and give Hitler credit for the design...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
7/26/13 1:35 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: we do it just to annoy people like you... it's like a game... if i ever get an old air cooled Porsh, i'll just refer to it as a glorified People's Car and give Hitler credit for the design...

Hear hear.

I always refer to my friend and neighbours Porsh 356 as a Karman Ghia, helps keep things in perspective.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
7/26/13 1:35 p.m.

I saw a Porsh 911 driving on the Kangamangis Highway in New Hampshire this week!

I was speaking with a Native American a while back. He gave me a quick lesson in pronouncing it the correct way: Kanga-maugus... Not the lazy Kanga-mangis most use.

I get the irritation. Mostly when it's just laziness that allows the butchering of the spoken language. And don't get me started on our current state of written language (ur welcum, lol, omfg)!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/13 2:02 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Knurled: And you use the word "test" very, very loosely.

This is getting way off topic, but their "tests" are the least interesting part of the show, IMO.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
7/26/13 2:18 p.m.

I am surprised people get so bent out of shape about this.

There are tons of French names in the US (especially in the Northeast obviously), and they are never ever pronounced correctly. I bought a GPS this week, and I tried it around here and the GPS lady voice, mis-pronounced all the French names so badly that I couldn't even understand what she was saying.

And I don't care because she isn't French and she isn't speaking French.

So why should anyone care about mispronouncing, in English, the name of a German car for snobs?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/26/13 2:47 p.m.

Yeah, those 914 and 924 drivers are so full of themselves....

All groups of car enthusiasts have good guys and douchebags.....Porsche is no different. I've met lots of great P-car guys.....and a few that were not so nice.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
7/26/13 2:48 p.m.

Matters not to me. But it does remind me of a former co-worker who corrected another co-worker about this exact same pronunciation issue. Which didn't bother me either.

But then not 2 minutes later as said corrector is talking to me, he told me about his upcoming trip to "SHANG-HI" and to "QWING-DOH;" I corrected him (because I like him and didn't want him to sound like a fool to others on this trip), and he said "whatever, like I'm supposed to pronounce foreign words the way they do."

Which I thought rather ironic since Porsche is, of course, a foreign name no different from Shanghai or Qingdao.

Americans suck at foreign word pronunciation. Most Americans only speak one language (unlike most foreigners, who speak several), and most Americans aren't interested in pronouncing said languages correctly. I've given up caring about it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/26/13 3:05 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Yeah, those 914 and 924 drivers are so full of themselves.... All groups of car enthusiasts have good guys and douchebags.....Porsche is no different. I've met lots of great P-car guys.....and a few that were not so nice.

Yeah, yeah, smartie fartie. Matt's 69 took something like 10-12 quarts of oil. I'm assuming the oil plays a role in dispersing heat.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
7/26/13 3:32 p.m.

You know, some of us actually speak Deutsch. You all could use some pronunciation help.

Watch this short video and things should be much clearer.

Everyone knows it should be pronounced PORE-SHA! with a hand in the air and flying spittle.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
7/26/13 4:00 p.m.

its written "PORSCHE", but pronounced - Throatwobbler Mangrove

M030
M030 Dork
7/26/13 4:31 p.m.

I'm fluent in German, and I've met members of the Porsche family. They say their name "porsh-eh"

The only car name pronunciation that sounds like nails on a chalk board to me is when people say "awe-dee" for Audi. In German, "au" makes the "ow" sound, so the correct way to say it is "ow-dee"

That said, Porsche people are a funny bunch. What other manufacturer's fans constantly question whether said manufacturer's new products are "real" (insert brand name)?

Not even Ferrari people do that. My Boxster & my 944 are REAL Porsches. Know why? Because when they were sold new (as now, when I buy parts), it is the Porsche company who profits. Case closed.

Know what? I've owned so-called "real" Porsches, too, like a 1965 356 that drove just like my '72 Beetle. So if a "real" Porsche is slow, leaky and drives like an old Beetle, I'll keep my "fake" ones, thank you.

/rant over

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
7/26/13 4:39 p.m.

Potato.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
7/26/13 4:59 p.m.

Kartoffel.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/26/13 5:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I do like how Alex Lloyd pronounces Datsun - DAT-sun 510. Everyone in the midwest pronounces it DOT-sun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOJOwZomUU @ 5:30 he drops it into 3rd gear and runs to 8,000rpm and blows his wad. (sorta)

He's closer to right....the romaji (aka "romanized", aka "american letters") version of the name does not match the katakana.

The name is actually written (click on the image if you're having trouble seeing the text.) That photo is from the website of the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers, so I'm going to bet on them spelling it in the most common manner.

Which means it ought to be spelled DATSAN

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mZHRNB1iPEGm1nSiBhG2Ct4xnWXphW4Rbaq8ZlAk5yY0wLMgnrWP8EqGGxyduz0A