1 2 3
Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/31/23 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I don't know any more than that, other than his comment on the converter. Apparently the BMW race team uses a dual mass damped FW and that's what he's going to run. I'll ask more next time I see him.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/23 6:21 p.m.

I started answering the thread title with "no berkeleying clue," and have since located multiple ways to adapt the 8hp to my engine....

I Am Never Gonna Financially Recover From This - Meming Wiki

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
10/31/23 8:01 p.m.

I like the idea of setting it up like a faux sequential manual transmission with a nice tall shifter so I can pretend I'm driving the Hoonicorn. 

robert777
robert777 New Reader
11/1/23 3:06 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I googled converting this trans to a clutch and the way they do it is with the dual internal clutches you ad an adapter switch that works like a reostat switch hooked to a pedal and controls the internal clutch system. So you can just eliminate the torque converter with a flywheel/flexplate. This is awesome.

Drifters are using it and I seen them, on video, use this for burnouts with reckless abandon as in laying down long strips of rubber. All I want it to get the car going because I am going to road race it not do burn outs or drift it.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/1/23 2:11 p.m.

^ I think you can only do that with a dct/dsg, the 8hp is still a full automatic with a torque converter. 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
11/1/23 3:09 p.m.

This is my plan for Asphalt Gundam number 2.

Very interested in seeing the whole process 

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/2/23 1:01 a.m.

Only 516 ft-lbs rated? Seems low considering the animals this transmission lives behind...

Have been in the Supra community forever now, and I was skeptical when the MkV was initially only available with an auto, but can confirm that I've really not heard anything bad about them from that crowd.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/2/23 9:41 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

^ I think you can only do that with a dct/dsg, the 8hp is still a full automatic with a torque converter. 

You can program the 8HP to unlock internally and program a pedal to actuate that function. That's why the drift guys like it. Clutch launches and clutch kicks become fully realistic.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/2/23 10:28 a.m.

You make a compelling case for the auto and if I was building a car to race in a class where I thought it might give me an advantage I'd go that way.  However, I enjoy driving a race car with a manual box so from a pure enjoyment perspective that's the way I'd go. 

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
11/2/23 10:48 a.m.
robert777 said:

I googled converting this trans to a clutch and the way they do it is with the dual internal clutches you ad an adapter switch that works like a reostat switch hooked to a pedal and controls the internal clutch system. So you can just eliminate the torque converter with a flywheel/flexplate. This is awesome.

Ok... Now this really has my attention!

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/23 11:35 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

You can program the 8HP to unlock internally and program a pedal to actuate that function. That's why the drift guys like it. Clutch launches and clutch kicks become fully realistic.

That. Is. Awesome.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/2/23 12:00 p.m.

Clutch by wire. Crazy.

I wonder how progressive it is... Like, there's not a ton of feedback through the pedal on a normal clutch. I wonder how hard it is to be smooth with it, and how it would hold up to the slippage of getting a car rolling...

I guess you probably still want something to soften the blow between crank and trans when shifting? Or maybe I've overestimated the role of the torque converter there?

I was about to say i need to venture beyond the Seems Legit site for info, but i think I'll just look forward to what you guys find out for now... smiley

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/23 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

These guys have a ton of 8hp content. Click at your own risk

Zero to 60 on youtube

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
11/2/23 12:23 p.m.

Down yet another financially questionable rabbit hole. Thanks a bunch, guys, 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/2/23 1:55 p.m.
iansane said:
JG Pasterjak said:

That. Is. Awesome.

Pretty wild, wonder how hard it is on clutches!

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
11/2/23 2:15 p.m.

Pretty wild, wonder how hard it is on clutches!

I was thinking about that too. The main thing that kills clutches is slipping them, whether that's from time spent partially engaged or outright overpowering. Wet clutches also tend to handle slipping better than dry clutches. So for a track-only car, I could actually see them holding up pretty well... Not so much in stop-n-go traffic, or even easing the car up onto the trailer. As long as the internals will hold up to the shock loads, which it sounds like they can, just treat it like a race clutch: Slip the tires, not the clutch. devil

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
11/2/23 2:29 p.m.
iansane said:

That. Is. Awesome.

8HP the Zonda?... It might have actually been easier than adapting the T5. devil

robert777
robert777 New Reader
11/2/23 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I wonder how progressive it is...

I read it is extremely linear as in percentages of engagement per degree of pedal movement but the pedal is tied to a reostat switch. Watch this video below. This type of stuff is what I can't let go, of this idea. Seems I just gotta try this as I think it would transform the car into something a lot more fun and even more easy to drive fast.

If I can build my own adapter well I'm going for it. I am not at the transmission part of my build but I am tempted to buy one of these now. There is an 8HP75 from a 2016 ram 1500 2wd for 400 bucks and it is claimed to only have 900 miles. It looks perfectly clean like the claim is true.

Was not planning of buying one now but I might have to jump on this. Dude has had it up for sale for a while and no takers so he is lowering the price and lowering it more, at 400 now. Might throw an offer of 300 and if he bits I can't resist I'll buy it. Then I can start on the trans adapter to the boss 302.

Here is another dude from Sweden who has an old dodge with a 440 and made his own adapter and is using the 8HP70 behind the 440. It's quite the build. Link >> Dodge 8HP70 swap

iansane
11/3/23 10:05 a.m.
Driven5 said:
iansane said:

That. Is. Awesome.

8HP the Zonda?... It might have actually been easier than adapting the T5. devil

You're not wrong there. Only one funky adapter instead of 3. Now I want to 8hp swap SOMETHING just so there can be a clutch pedal.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
11/3/23 11:50 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

I want to 8HP something just so there can be a clutch not-pedal. Motorcycle hand lever on the shifter, motorcycle twist grip on the shifter, button on top of the shift knob, trigger on the front of the shift knob, button or 'horn' on the steering wheel, big red button on the dash, maybe some kind of less obvious 'touch sensor' somehwere... So many possibilities.

iansane
11/3/23 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I was literally just texting a friend the same thing; I just don't know what.

rustomatic
rustomatic HalfDork
11/3/23 5:33 p.m.

For anyone interested, here's a thread I just came across for modding/swapping the 8HP:  https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59958.

I have one of these in my Ram, and it really is a great trans.  Size-wise, it seems to fit much better than the GM 6Ls, too.

Caperix
Caperix Reader
11/11/23 9:16 a.m.

While I think you should have an article on swapping a newer auto trans into an older vehicle, I feel this application would be better without a torque converter.  The 8hp is a good auto, but it still seams better suited for a street car.  A sequential shift conversion or a dct would fit this car better to me.

Akbarratt
Akbarratt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/23 3:07 p.m.

I autocrossed my 8spd challenger all this last season, for fun, and anticipated using the manual mode and paddle shifters to make the car do as I wanted. I found myself leaving it in sport mode and ignoring it because it nearly always seemed to be in the right gear. Only occasionally would I have liked it to downshift one more in a tight corner. Off throttle and braking hard into a element the thing has manual locked-up feel and is banging downshifts. I was very surprised, and wouldn't hesitate to put one in a project now that I know the electronics have a good solution.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
12/9/23 4:39 p.m.

I must have missed all this the first time around.....but, I have the 8HP in my Audi SQ5, and I can say honestly that this is the first auto trans that has impressed me. I've had several cars with DSG trans, and much prefer the HP, it'll be very interesting to see where this goes.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OLM70lcPlRzkzOW8e7NOlXxgkjhRNyXZ5AWNucFq0csQtvQpDi2lWClHvPfPiAZU