1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/13/11 9:44 a.m.

I think I may even do it too.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2684846657.html

Do I have a problem? Anyone know much about these things? Anyone close by that could look it over for me? I have been in contact with seller,and got a bunch more pics,as well as a video or two coming today.

I must be out of my mind,but I have wanted one of these style vans for many years.

-C

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/13/11 9:53 a.m.

"Why do I want this so much?"
I have NO idea

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
11/13/11 9:57 a.m.

Reminds me of a Ryder Isuzu cab over rental truck....with more seating.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/13/11 9:58 a.m.

I think he's asking a lot for "1980s nostalgia". It is cool, though. Auto would be a downer for me. I borrowed a similar Mitsubishi van when I needed to haul some stuff. It was less luxurious inside, but not bad fun to drive with a stick shift.

Also, check out the wheels on the (same model?) van in the background:

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/11 10:04 a.m.

I had the similar Toyota. It's a shame this layout isn't available anymore. It was my first automatic, and it managed to actually be fun to drive. all of the weight is below you, and at the time, I had a swervy road between me and work, and actually enjoyed driving the thing. Tons of room inside, great visibility, a very low loading height, and it wasn't particularly thirsty either.

The ride was a little rough, and some worry about being "first on the scene" of an accident, though I think this was a known issue to every designer of anything newer than a bay window VW bus. There is a VW promotional video out there addressing this issue in the Vanagon.

I've seen the Mitsus around here a few times, but I don't know anything about them.

There are of course, a few similar Nissans to be had, but they're even more rare than the Mitsubishis, as they were so prone to catching fire, Nissan bought as many of them back as they could, then crushed them all.

VW Vanagons are available, as are Toyotas. The Toyotas are really cheap.

Remember to turn slightly after you are past your corner, and have lots of fun.

alex
alex SuperDork
11/13/11 10:26 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: Remember to turn slightly after you are past your corner, and have lots of fun.

Heh. Yeah, because right after you pass the turn-in point, your front wheels are just getting there.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/11 10:28 a.m.

I think that van with a 4g63t and a fivespeed would be a LOT of fun.. if you go AWD... you have a mini ZAV

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/13/11 11:11 a.m.

A stick shift in this thing and it would already be on a flat bed coming east. I don't think the US ever git a manual in these vans,and I am not even sure how the shifter would would work,but it sure would be fun figuring it out. Pedals may also be an issue.

-C

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/11 11:23 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: A stick shift in this thing and it would already be on a flat bed coming east. I don't think the US ever git a manual in these vans,and I am not even sure how the shifter would would work,but it sure would be fun figuring it out. Pedals may also be an issue. -C

A stick is available in a Toyota or VW van...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/13/11 11:24 a.m.

Why do you want it? Because it's super cool. The only negative for me also is the auto. I don't believe I have ever seen a Mistu van like that (in person) and as previously noted by another poster there's another one on the other side of the street!

I have a thing for the square/boxy Japanese vans. I think I am the only one that likes the Nissan Cube which is a little different but kind of the same.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/13/11 11:51 a.m.

We had a similarly-shaped Toyota van where I worked years ago. Stick, 4wd, 4cyl something (22RE?), I still yearn for one of my own. Several years with a company SWB Fuso taught me the magic of cabovers. They're the Miatas of people/cargo movers: the power and ergonomics may not be there, but the fun factor certainly is!

Sure, the auto's a bit of a downer, but that Mitsu's awesome!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/13/11 11:54 a.m.

The blue van seen across the street in the pics also belongs to the seller. That one also has the super cool 3' factory sunroof!! There is a even cooler white one for sale on CL in Pensacola,FL that also has the moonroof. The seller is a complete flake,and has had his nephew text me a couple of out of focus thumbnail sized pics,and that is it. Also he wants $4250 for it. Never going to happen.

-C

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/13/11 12:03 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: There are of course, a few similar Nissans to be had, but they're even more rare than the Mitsubishis, as they were so prone to catching fire, Nissan bought as many of them back as they could, then crushed them all.

Boy, I had to look it up, I'd forgotten about them. According to Wikipedia, this is still in production, largely unchanged, in Malaysia as the Vanette or Sunny-Vanette.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/13/11 1:30 p.m.
mmosbey wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: A stick shift in this thing and it would already be on a flat bed coming east. I don't think the US ever git a manual in these vans,and I am not even sure how the shifter would would work,but it sure would be fun figuring it out. Pedals may also be an issue. -C
A stick is available in a Toyota or VW van...

I have a strict "NO VW" rule. Not gonna break it unless it is old and aircooled. I know that van exists but not in my price range.

mad_machine
11/13/11 3:01 p.m.

vanagons could be had aircooled... and even the newest are old enough to be very simple to work on.

The eurovan on the other hand

Hal
Hal Dork
11/13/11 3:22 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I have a strict "NO VW" rule. Not gonna break it unless it is old and aircooled.

How about if it is FORD powered?

mad_machine
11/13/11 3:57 p.m.

I always liked the Porsche and Suby powered ones

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/13/11 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Hal:

Ooo!I dig that!

So no flat sixes?

11110000 Reader
11/13/11 4:17 p.m.

I think we all like these because they resemble Star Trek shuttlecraft...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/13/11 9:54 p.m.

Beam me up Scotty.

mad_machine
11/13/11 9:56 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: In reply to Hal: Ooo!I dig that! So no flat sixes?

You can deliver this anytime you are in the area. I would not change a thing

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/14/11 4:02 p.m.

Anyone local in the Bay area that could look at this van for me?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/11 4:12 p.m.

I might be going to the Bay Area again in the next few days depending on how the S2k turns out. I will definitely be in the Bay Area the week after Thanksgiving so if it's still around then and you still want it looked at, I'd be happy to oblige.

That said, I believe we have a few members down in the Bay Area also.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
11/14/11 5:16 p.m.

You know I have a GSL-SE 6-port 13B hanging around as well as some 12A plates that I could make into a sweet 4-port 13B. I wonder how it would work in this little van? Sure would be more fun that the 4 banger I bet.

Chris

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/14/11 5:35 p.m.

I'll jump in as the voice of (in?)sanity - you want it so much just because it's unusual and not often seen these days. Because you have visions of cool things you could do with it mechanically (see previous about AWD 4g63 ZAV).

we had one of these when I lived in Italy on the Navy base (used to haul landscaping stuff around). It had a ton of room inside for its size. It seemed to be brokent down at least once a week (not that we treated it nicely). It was less fun to drive than the V6 plymouth voyager I had a couple years earlier, honestly.

And in the end, you'll end up with a not fast, wierd-driving van with Mitsubishi quality and reliability (ha), which is probably hard to find parts for at this point, probably a pain to work on. And really, aside from looking like a shuttlecraft, it doesn't really look all that cool. It just looks like the kind of van you can find delivering packages or used as taxis in most 2nd-world nations....so nobody else is going to think it's cool when they see you driving it either.

So, now that I've said that, you need to go buy it to prove all of those things I said are wrong!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k8zdTGxb8juKpnph73wCHtGcwn2YRLbatwgJHSuTSirqDgRvv53W9jWHH0tIhGAS