1 2
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/18/15 2:38 p.m.

Can't put my finger on it, but I've been shopping for a new car. Looking for v8 RWD and test drove some Challengers today. They make me instantly think of douchbags, like if I drove one for more than a week I'd wake up with a soul patch. Is it because it's pre packaged "cool", something you can just walk into a dealership and buy.. dunno, can't put my finger on my disdain for most modern cars.

I keep looking at newish cars, but the taste keeps pushing me back to 80's,90's, and early 2000 models which are secretly 80s-90s design.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
7/18/15 4:10 p.m.

That's pretty much it.

When I first read your title I thought you were commenting on people who participated in grm challenges.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/18/15 4:28 p.m.

Just practice saying "Bro" a lot and you won't have to grow the soul patch.

Not that I necessarily think a car makes the person (else I'd be a teenage sidewayz- Monster Energy-hat-wearing person since I drive a WRX), but almost every time I'm near a Challenger R/T or SRT in traffic, the driver feels the need to do something douchey - whether it be unnecessary revving, or hard launches from a light, or a 90mph right-lane pass.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/18/15 4:32 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: When I first read your title I thought you were commenting on people who participated in grm challenges.

Ya me too.

On the other note................all the new C7 convertible driver's around here I see have the sideways cap, big necklace, wrist draped over the steering wheel thing going on.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/15 4:49 p.m.

Chargers seem to be to attract the dudebro douchebag around here.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/15 5:50 p.m.
irish44j wrote: ...the driver feels the need to do something douchey - whether it be unnecessary revving, or hard launches from a light, or a 90mph right-lane pass.

Hell, I do that in my Accent on my way home from work every day.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/15 6:15 p.m.

All the Challenger/Charger drivers around here are mostly ghetto trash blaring music with smells of the devils lettuce being emitted from their car.

Then the others are douchebags

There was an auto-x I went to a while back, guy showed up in a SRT8 Challenger with a supercharger on it, had 5 point harness and Hans device, full on fire suit and IIRC forced air helmet. It was quite a sight.

He ran the slowest raw time of the day I'm fairly sure.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/18/15 6:16 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
irish44j wrote: ...the driver feels the need to do something douchey - whether it be unnecessary revving, or hard launches from a light, or a 90mph right-lane pass.
Hell, I do that in my Accent on my way home from work every day.

Yeah, this.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
7/18/15 6:23 p.m.

I dont care what the stigma is, out of all the "pony cars" the challenger is the one I want the most. Really want.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
7/18/15 6:24 p.m.

I thought this was going to be about challenger/charger guys revving incessantly and doing full burnouts in place while waiting for the light to change...with a line of cars in front and behind - cause that's been my experience with them. I guess they think the FR-S is a threat or something and do a fight/flight response...LOL

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/18/15 10:21 p.m.

I have to admit... I am driving a new Challenger this week and kind of like it.

There is something about a muscle car... And yeah I hear you about the D-bag aspect of it. Still, I kind of liked it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/18/15 11:08 p.m.

You can class it up a little if you wear a leopard skin smoking jacket.

Tim Suddard wrote: And yeah I hear you about the D-bag aspect of it. Still, I kind of liked it.
TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/19/15 7:44 a.m.

I'll take my new Challenger in bright green pearl

http://www.dodge.com/assets/images/mod-colorizer/challenger/2015/2015-challenger-vlp-colorizer-sublime.png

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/15 8:25 a.m.

around here.. anything-hemi is usually driven by a d-bag. The ram trucks are the worst here. They have to speed everywhere and if you are going slower than them, they will ride your back bumper until you get out of the way.. even if you are already 10 over

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
7/19/15 8:49 a.m.

Personally I don't take much stock in stereotypes like that - if someone is a d-bag, it doesn't matter what kind of car they're driving.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Reader
7/19/15 9:10 a.m.

Around here all the dbags are in lifted rams. Challengers are driven by older men and women. Still want one though.

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
7/19/15 9:51 a.m.

No one is mentioning Devils lettuce? Really? Well ok then.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/15 10:24 a.m.

What happens if you own a challenger, a Miata, a windowless van, a BMW, and a forester?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/19/15 10:35 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: around here.. anything-hemi is usually driven by a d-bag. The ram trucks are the worst here. They have to speed everywhere and if you are going slower than them, they will ride your back bumper until you get out of the way.. even if you are already 10 over

I'm with you on Ram guys.

My gf's neighbor has a certain gentleman caller with a quad cab Hemi Ram that can't ever seem to park in one of the designated spots in front of said neighbor's townhouse. Instead, he has to be 90 degrees to all other cars and right behind my gf's designated spots, which makes it extremely difficult for either of us to get out with out doing the forward-reverse routine half a dozen times. It just bothers the hell out of me because I'm pretty sure the point of parking how he does is solely to attract attention to his 10+ year old truck. Other such attention seeking behavior I have observed from him include (poorly executed) burnouts in the parking lot as well as the omnipresent blare of subwoofers any time he comes or goes.

Yesterday morning we happened to observe that all four of his windows were left wide freaking open during a fairly substantial rainstorm. Think we knocked on the neighbors door? Karma's a bitch

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
7/19/15 11:09 a.m.

There are a lot of Challengers on the roads here. I mean, more than I thought they sold total. They are almost as common as Mustangs. I don't see any more DB behavior out of them than anything else. Actually I'd say Jetta's are the worst. Anytime someone is running a red light they are in a Jetta.

petegossett
7/19/15 11:16 a.m.
e46potenza wrote: No one is mentioning Devils lettuce? Really? Well ok then.

I figured I was the only one who'd never heard it before. It's definitely been annotated for future reference.

petegossett
7/19/15 11:18 a.m.
nocones wrote: What happens if you own a challenger, a Miata, a windowless van, a BMW, and a forester?

Well if you tow the Miata with the windowless van, I'm pretty sure a rainbow sticker on the back of the Miata and a NAMBLA sticker on the back of the van are requirements.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
7/19/15 1:14 p.m.

By looking at their ads and marketing, I'm assuming they are marketing directly to the d-bag audience segment and doing it well.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
7/19/15 1:21 p.m.

I had not noticed this trend at all. I think they're cool cars regardless of their owners.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/19/15 2:34 p.m.

Yet another thread about hating on cars and their owners by supposed car guys. Quickly becoming one of the most closed minded groups of car guys on the web (second only to Corner Carvers, I swear).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9qLPSoXdIauPHe6A8HmtnoXOmmwgZNGk9s3u9fitFArXVX8pUPOjSbyWI47h7LMi