AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
11/24/13 8:57 a.m.

Looks like there is a new option for enthusiasts to get on track. Rules look to be more inclusive than other series, multiple classes using power to weight, rather than arbitrary values. Should allow many cars from the budget series as well as SCCA, NASA, etc to compete. They have a page on the book of faces and new website just out this past week. Looks promising.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/24/13 9:09 a.m.

link ????

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
11/24/13 9:10 a.m.

worldracingleague.org

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/24/13 11:12 a.m.

Others have tried but Chump and LeMons have the bulk of the cars now.

I do like the fuel cel rule. No certification required if it is a deformable bladder in a tin box. That's a $500.00 saving by itself.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/24/13 12:17 p.m.

It's interesting. However, I don't like that the rules are basically set up so that the race administrators decide what class you race in. Yeah, there is a power-to-weight ratio factor, but it sounded to me like they will pretty subjectively bump you around in class based on how well you do. So, if you're a good driver and/or build a very good car you're going to be penalized relative to a poorly-prepared car and a worse driver. It makes winning very arbitrary. IMO, that's not a good formula for encouraging competitive racing.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
11/24/13 5:24 p.m.

Weird the top class is capped at 12:1 hp to weight. That seems really low

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
11/24/13 5:30 p.m.

I don't think bumping a car up in class would be taken lightly, or occur very often. How do you balance giving racers the freedom to make modifications and encourage ingenuity while still maintaining a level playing field within classes. If a particular team, or teams, is constantly running away from the field in its class, think Redbull and Vettel, how enjoyable will it be for the others if they are constantly outmatched? There has to be some mechanism to keep the Redbulls in a class of equals. I think the combination of a classification system based on power to weight ratio with a mechanism to move the outliers up a class if needed strikes a reasonable balance. I think the final PWR numbers are yet to be finalized.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/24/13 11:08 p.m.

In reply to AugustusGloop:

Yeah, I understand the idea, and this is certainly an issue that most racing series struggle with. But, I'm still not convinced that a subjective class selection method is best. To continue with your example, what would fans and competitors think if the F1 administrators said "Hey, Vettel and RB have been winning an awful lot lately, and that's not fair to the teams who don't win much. So, we're going to impose different rules on them (or move them to another class) so they can't win as much."

I agree that "There has to be some mechanism to keep the Redbulls in a class of equals." I'm just not sure that giving that power to the race administration to make the call somewhat arbitrarily is the best solution to this problem.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
11/25/13 7:12 a.m.

Arbitrary rule changes to insure competitiveness? Isn't that why nascar sucks?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
11/25/13 10:27 a.m.

In any case, I'm glad to see more interest in budget endurance racing and hopefully having another series is a good thing for everyone involved.

steronz
steronz Reader
11/25/13 11:49 a.m.

Coming from Chump, I find the rulebook to be refreshingly brief and well-written. I read through some of the forum threads and it's clear that "Joey" doesn't consider this to be a budget racing series, at least not like the others. There's no mention of $500 cars or anything of the like. I don't see WRL cars costing substantially less than, say, IT or PT.

I'm curious as to how this will fit in. LeMons -- "Grab your friends and a crappy car and try to race it for 24 hours," no racing experience required and they take efforts to slow the cars down. ChumpCar -- "Breaking down at the track sucks, so let's pretend we're racing $500 cars but we actually spend a good chunk of change," also no racing experience required but a lot of the cars are pretty quick and I've always been concerned about putting my friends with no experience on track.

So WRL drops all pretense of being cheap but still lets pretty much anyone race without a license. There's some rules about having prior Chump/LeMons/DE experience, but even without that you can still get on track pretty easily. So a bunch of cars with up to 12:1 power to weight ratios and still rookie drivers?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/25/13 11:59 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Arbitrary rule changes to insure competitiveness? Isn't that why nascar sucks?

Budget isn't really an issue in NASCAR, though.

AtticusTurbo27
AtticusTurbo27 Reader
11/25/13 12:15 p.m.

I was intrigued, but then read this:

d. Springs: OEM or OEM equivalent only, may heat or cut e. Shocks/Struts: OEM or equivalent only

b. Additional modifications: The following modifications are allowed in any class, but may receive a lap adjustment, weight penalty or re-classing based solely on the discretion of the Officials. In any case, PWR will be 1:12.0 or greater. • Headers • Aftermarket ignition systems • Suspension: All aftermarket, non-OEM or homemade upgrades or changes not listed in Section 2 • Sway bars: Added or increase in diameter

sounds like it will be a mess classing cars evenly IMO.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/13 1:25 p.m.

How will they police engine mods?

What I see from this is another nail in the coffin of over priced over regulated club racing.

jt124
jt124
11/30/13 5:01 p.m.

Hey gang. First of all let me say I appreciate the interest in the new Endurance Series on the block. We had a fantastic launch on Facebook picking up 500 likes in less than 3 days, which isn't too shabby considering it was spread through 40 personal friends.

Just want to note that the class thing is not really that subjective. if the car is built to the specs in the basic modification section it automatically falls into a class based on its power to weight. If it's modified beyond that, and we expect that a lot will, then we have to take a look at the modifications and determine if they push that car outside the boundaries of its "native" class or not. in some cases they will, in other cases they won't.it's not as if cars will be moving classes all the time.

we hope you give it a shot, a lot of people are expecting to have a really good time with it

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/30/13 5:31 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: How will they police engine mods? What I see from this is another nail in the coffin of over priced over regulated club racing.

With the power-to-weight ratio.

hidollartoys
hidollartoys None
1/11/14 1:55 p.m.

I just found out about this today. Guess I have been under a rock. I know joey and if anyone can get and keep this sorted out it is him. I also know that he and his cronies have more than enough knowledge about this than you can "cheat" around.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/31/14 7:35 p.m.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but After reading about this in the last issue I went online and it looks like the rules are pretty reasonable for 2015. Has anyone here tried it yet.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
11/1/14 4:56 a.m.

As a canadian I don't get your insistance on calling it another "world" series where americans compete agaisn't other americans.

Just say'n wow is all.

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
11/4/14 10:12 a.m.

I've raced LeMons, ChumpCar, and WRL, so I may be able to comment on the appeal of each series. I started racing LeMons 6 or 7 years ago. Moved to ChumpCar about 4 years ago and built an E30 for ChumpCar. We developed our car and our drivers over several years and got to the point where we were consistently a top 5 car with several podium finishes.

LeMons is a great party with a bunch of gearheads that takes place at a track for the weekend, and you get to go out have some fun and drive some hilarious cars with some great people. I would say it compares to racing like a three-legged race compares to a track meet. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard as I have at some of the Lemons races.

We decided we wanted to try a series with more of an emphasis on the racing part, and that's where ChumpCar came in. In the beginning, home made engineering and ingenuity was encouraged and that appealed to us. Building the best race car you could at home on a budget and go to race and try to be competitive. The E30 was a natural choice to build to accomplish what we wanted. We tweaked the car with our budget improvements, think lawn edging splitter. ChumpCar evolved, or depending on how you look at it devolved, into discouraging the home made improvements and imposed an cumbersome points system to account for everything from the lawn edging we used, to having to measure the sq footage of the lexan we used to cover the rear qtr windows. This took a lot of the fun out of the engineering aspect for us, and became a nuisance and a deterrent.

Next came World Racing League, or WRL, at just the right time for us. Joey Todd, the founder of WRL, is the real deal and we have come to know him from his previous position in ChumpCar. He is genuinely a car guy and has a real interest in developing an inclusive racing series that can appeal to teams that have raced in other budget series, as well as those with a car in SCCA or NASA that want to try their hand at endurance racing. I would say the quality of the drivers and the cars is a step up from ChumpCar. Very clean driving with minimal contact. The class structure allows you to have a competitive race no matter what you drive. I have no affiliation with WRL but I can say if you are looking for a clean, competitive, endurance series, I would highly recommend it.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/14 11:35 a.m.

I agree with what has been said regarding CLEAN racing where just about anything can be classed competitively.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
11/4/14 11:44 a.m.

I see they are racing at Nelson, that defiantly peaks my interest. I may have to look for a ride.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWZP30KH5Jgs6LrJrFWlzCFIcbwYL33pta5EVywZ31RcqSwItOJXyjxTYosyZ4Ao