1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/15 5:16 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote: A little of both, I suspect (there's about 2-1/2" of ground clearance), but primarily damping, I think - correct me as required: - Over a single bump, it goes up and down ok, not too unsettling on the car. When it's a series of pavement irregularities, it's like the car is dancing on a washboard.

I wonder if the springs are too soft/rebound is too stiff and is causing the suspension to pack up.

chiodos
chiodos New Reader
2/11/15 6:36 a.m.

Dunno what pack up means but if it means pack up into the bumpstops constantly then yes.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/15 6:54 a.m.

If the suspension doesn't rebound quickly enough, every successive compression pushes it further up until it runs out of travel.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/11/15 7:12 a.m.

My recollection of Raceland coilovers is that they are all basically the same rates but with vehicle specific mounting. I did use a set of lowering springs on my VW, they were ok for progressive rate and cheap enough to be disposable. Not sure if they still sell them though since everyone wants adjustable coilovers.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/11/15 11:19 a.m.

I was happy with the racelands I installed on my 02 wrx I flipped. I had to jack them up all the way, but since the ride height is independent of spring preload with their design, it was all good.

$400 for a complete set of struts is a killer deal, and the car handled a bit better. Win-win, especially since I was trying to get rid of it.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/11/15 11:29 a.m.
Knurled wrote: If the suspension doesn't rebound quickly enough, every successive compression pushes it further up until it runs out of travel.

This was my thought, which why it's "ok" on some bumps, but not lots of irregularity in the surface.

Not sure about the spring rate, might be a little soft as I think about it (for as low as it goes, anyway).

I'll raise the car a little tonight, see if it helps, but I'll be calling Tanner in a little while here....

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/11/15 1:21 p.m.

if it's too low are they are least height adjustable?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/11/15 1:28 p.m.

Yes, but he's buying new suspension, so i don't know that it matters.

They aren't good at sane heights, they're just not quite as bad as what he's got going on now. From a comfort perspective only. Miata jacked down on bump stops probably handles better than Racelands as high as they'll go.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/11/15 4:55 p.m.

A friend of mine had a MKIV Jetta 1.8t with Racelands on it. It had a HORRIBLE vibration that he couldn't find, so I looked at it for him, and the LF strut was totally shot. Like, with the LF corner jacked up you could move the wheel nearly an inch in and out. He swapped them out for a full set of Bilstiens with Neuspeed springs that he found at the U-Pull (for $35!!!) and he said it drove like a totally different car.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/15 5:24 p.m.

Mister three-twenty gave me his ride height - he's sitting on the bumpstops. We'll see how his opinion of the Racelands changes with a bit of altitude.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/12/15 10:40 a.m.

Raised the car a bit (and a little bit less than KT recommended - I'm a slave to style, what can I say...).

I'm no longer hitting the bump stops, but the damping characteristics are still the same as I described at the beginning. Okay on one and done bumps, but for any "extended length" of irregularity, I still get the skitter effect and even still a little cowl shake depending on how bad the surface is.

I think my e30 on blown struts were better than these.

Still the worst. suspension. ever.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/12/15 10:41 a.m.

They're pretty bad, and i'm half-convinced that the spring rates are actually lower than stock.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
2/12/15 10:43 a.m.

Oh, and the guy has (well, now I do) the adjustable rear upper control arms.

Can I dail a little more camber in on these things, or does it not work that way? Eyeball only, but the rear looks like it's about 0 (fronts still have a noticeable bit of negative...).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/15 10:47 a.m.

Almost all those adjustable upper arms will hit the subframe under full compression, they actually limit rear travel. But the idea is that you can use them to dial in more camber.

If you didn't raise the car as much as I recommended, you're still spending a considerable amount of time on the bumpstops

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J9SCVgbZnVhRDwDvwDq0e1dCV0aF47sMbPSRfJQGdNNMcNrsYDP259IliT4nulcJ