1 2
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/25/11 8:01 p.m.

GTO:

MINI:

etc, etc, etc...

We may be looking at a car to replace our smashed WRX soon and something fun would be nice. Problem is we have 3 kids. They are kids of course so they don't take up much room. , but we do need 3 rear seats. Token seats are fine BUT WE NEED 3 #$%#$ REAR SEATS! Cross the MINI and the GTO off of the list.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/25/11 8:12 p.m.

Try the Hyundai Elantra, be prepared for a big surprise, my 6'3" son rides fine in the rear, I have transported wheelchairs in the trunk and mine is a stick.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/11 8:16 p.m.

Well, both the GTO and MINI are sold as 4-seater cars, so I'm not following you. Cars have been sold with 4 seats for decades (66 Charger comes to mind...). If you want 5 seats, shop 5-seater cars.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/11 8:20 p.m.

Mazdaspeed3 /thread?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/25/11 8:23 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

So, tell us about your Elantra. Do you like it?

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
11/25/11 8:25 p.m.

Gee, a Mini isn't a 5 seat car? Who knew?

Aside from the cars you mentioned not being sold with 3 seatbelts in the back seat, don't you think putting 3 kids back there would be difficult?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/25/11 8:27 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: In reply to aussiesmg: So, tell us about your Elantra. Do you like it?

You just love to poke the bear don't you Neon

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/25/11 8:56 p.m.

um....try an 08+ wrx. The rear seat is flattish, and it has about 3-4" more legroom than the 07 and earlier models ;)

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/25/11 9:13 p.m.

3rd kid in trunk. Problem fixed.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/11 9:18 p.m.

Man, something like this would be perfect!

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
11/25/11 9:25 p.m.

Get a crown vic, two parents up front and three suspects in the back!

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
11/25/11 9:28 p.m.

I added the Saturn sedan rear seat belts to my SC2 so we could put a car seat in the middle. Something like that might be possible on the GTO. Coupes and car seats don't work terrible well together regardless.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/25/11 9:59 p.m.

I'm in for MS3, too. They depreciate fast, have manual transmissions, and are really fun to drive.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/25/11 10:15 p.m.

The point is that I keep thinking about cool cars and finding out the rear only fits two. Sucks! Used to be they shoved as many seats in every car as possible, not so anymore.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/25/11 10:16 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Get a crown vic, two parents up front and three suspects in the back!

Lol-they are 6/5/1. I hope I have a few more years before I worry about them becoming suspects.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/25/11 10:22 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Man, something like this would be perfect!

Evil evil man.

(Sadly I doubt it would make sense financially to have our reliable car be an M5 )

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/26/11 7:55 a.m.

I couldn't fit three car seats in the back of the E39 which is why I switched it up to a Mazda5 but it won't win on the auto-x course.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
11/26/11 8:03 a.m.

While you're complaining about 3 seats, can we add complaining about rear leg room in supposed "family" cars. My XR4TI has significantly more rear leg room than a new Focus, Mazda 3, Sentra, etc., and it only has TWO DOORS!

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
11/26/11 8:09 a.m.

Allow me to put on my tinfoil hat for a minute, but I blame the government. Before you declare me a paranoid idiot, follow my logic for a minute. I'm 36 years old, when I was a kid once you broke 40 pounds you were out of the 'baby seat' and could sit anywhere in the car you wanted. In its constant quest to eliminate any kind of possible injury, the government started mandating how long kids had to be in car seats and have been constantly extending it. Now kids can't get out of a booster seat until they're 4'9", 80 lbs or 8 years old (at least here in Ontario). If a family has 3 kids, odds are there is less than 8 years difference between the oldest and the youngest. Ever tried squeezing two baby seats and a booster seat in the rear of a car? Those seats take up a lot of space. Unless you're driving a Crown Vic or something large like that, it's a very difficult task (at least according to my brother who now has 4 kids). This is what has forced the explosion of 3rd row seats, minivans, etc. Carmakers have realized that having a third seat in the back seat is almost useless unless all of a family's kids are older than 8 years old so they're saving the money of an extra seatbelt in the back of non-family cars that may have had 3 seats 20 to 40 years ago - wasn't the original GTO a 5 seater or am I mistaken?

That's my ridiculous thought of the day.

Bob

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/26/11 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Schmidlap:

Bob-yep, gubments and our fault. Bigger outside, smaller inside. Fatter walls are safer. Fatter seats are more comfy. We hate sacrificing comfort. Why shove a family in a little car when for only $x more a month you can have a bigger car. I want the option of something fun for the 95% of the time it is just her, and something we can survive when she hauls the kids.

dyintorace
11/26/11 8:50 a.m.

In all seriousness, why not buy back the WRX and swap the bits into a Forrester? You end up with a super cool car. In the meantime, pick up a P71 for family hauling. Call me if I can help.

Build this!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
11/26/11 8:55 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Your Xr4ti is the same size of a 2011 Focus. It is easier to get more room in a 2 door than a 4 door if they are the same size car. So either the Focus is a small "family" car or the Merkur is a large coupe, your choice.

Sometimes, but not always... the 4 door XR4i (never sold in the US) had the exact same interior dimensions on the same wheel base. They just moved the B pillar forward and shortened the front doors to make room for the rear doors:

3 door XR4TI:

5 door XR4i:

Same size, same wheelbase, same interior, just two extra doors. And still has more leg room than modern hatches the same size. I know why, I just don't like it.

dyintorace
11/26/11 8:56 a.m.

Here's one nearby. Sell the running drivetrain for recoup.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/2718001234.html

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/26/11 8:56 a.m.

^^^ i like that

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/26/11 8:57 a.m.

I think another "problem" is far more "breeders" are only having 2 chillins... and most families have 2 cars... one for "the family" and then either something "fun" or "economical" to transport one person to work

we only have 2 kids so no worries for us

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B5HnYFunFnA0xgkz8baQuQBezXwBeIe4znxp0oYYZkAy8XszRwqxShdxCS5Fp4mZ