iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/24 11:32 a.m.

I do not like this.

Nice work though.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
8/6/24 12:26 p.m.

Poor thing. Someone put it out of its misery.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/24 1:30 p.m.

Looking at this thing a little closer, it doesn't appear to be finished very well at all. It's surprisingly rough. Even browsing on a fairly old phone, you can zoom in and see an awful lot of flaws. There are chips and gouges in various places around the interior, lots of unfinished edges, a really poorly shaped panel in the center of the dash, raw edges under the dash, open bolt holes, and visible gorilla snot all over the place.

Here's an example. Check out the install on the windshield. Pretty uneven, to the point that it doesn't even look like it is fully sealed up.

It looks like someone had big dreams but ran out of money or talent. Or maybe they realized they were going to lose the shop if they didn't make it to the show this weekend. Hard to say.

From a design standpoint, one thing that really stands out, past the incongruous nature of the whole thing and the disregard for the inherent shape and proportion of the original car, is the lack of compound curves. Most of the new work looks to be made of flat sheets of steel that were bent in one direction only. The car was built with compound curves tapering into sharp edges that fade away gracefully. The modifications are a collection of simple curves that come together in blunt, square, straight edges. It just doesn't work.

My prediction is that both the seller and the new owner are going to be mightily disappointed. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/24 1:33 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

That's all kinda normal, really.  Most cars built to this level have a lot of tiny flaws when examined closely.

And if it's hidden by interior panels... hoooo boy.

I'm also personally not impressed with the "let's make a C8 out of a Camaro" direction, but people have different tastes.  My point here though is that I haven't seen a custom that didn't bear detail flaws.

DarkMonohue
8/6/24 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Everything has flaws. That's going to happen. This thing looks genuinely rushed.

I'm admittedly not a show car guy, and I don't know what is typically expected, but I'd think "OEM or better" would be a good threshold for fit, finish, and detail.

Thoughts?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/24 5:49 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

OEM fit and finish was actually pretty crappy, by modern standards.  Panel gaps were rarely even or even on the same plane or level.  And that was before the body mounts settled on the frames.  The trim NEVER sat right on the bodies.  They were always different on the left side vs the right.  And so on.

On the customization side... if they are being built to order, they have time constraints if they want to stay in business, and if they screw up an interior panel fold or whatever they're going to just fettle it as best as possible instead of scrapping a few dozen hours of labor and whatever the materials costs are to make another one.  For example.

The cars you see that are 100% perfect are generally done by hobbyists, not professionals, because they can afford to care enough to do something two or three times to do it Right.

But these cars are also the ones that take a decade or more to get finished.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
8/17/24 6:48 p.m.

Well it says it sold on the auction site....anyone know for how much? 

Looks like you need an account to see sales price.

DarkMonohue
8/17/24 7:47 p.m.

In reply to jamscal :

Hard to believe, but they're saying $115,500.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/24 7:57 p.m.

I hope someone is happy with it.

footinmouth
footinmouth GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/18/24 6:42 a.m.

A Camaro only a mama could love

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bvr971Att8xVXybHd5uXHu4946g1kQCR9pmMqxxDi1ueKgepIEVP5HcoAcKDySKh