Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/5/24 4:00 p.m.
feature_image

Just because you can swap a Suzuki Hayabusa engine into a Geo Spectrum, doesn’t mean you should, right? Well, this seller certainly ignored that advice.

Billed as being a “freshly ‘finished’ project” that does run and drive, the Geo still needs both the exhaust and air cleaner setups finished, per the seller.

The A/C doesn’t currently work, but the radio, …

Read the rest of the story

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
2/5/24 4:06 p.m.

Well it could be faster and get better MPG. 

Colin Wood
2/5/24 4:54 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I didn't consider that. Sounds like an absolute win when you look at it that way.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/5/24 4:59 p.m.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
2/5/24 5:13 p.m.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Spectrum!! 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Dork
2/5/24 8:38 p.m.

You must shift it with the auto selector. One down four up.   :0D A clutch pedal is present.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/24 9:26 p.m.

A Geo Spectrum? I don't know that I even knew that existed!

travellering
travellering Dork
2/5/24 9:29 p.m.

If you're on the spectrum, now you can be in it too!

2/5/24 10:11 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

A Geo Spectrum? I don't know that I even knew that existed!

Yep, it was the Chevy Spectrum until Geo was created.  They made a sporty version of it, relatively speaking 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 11:50 p.m.

I mean, I don't hate this. 

I'd like to see more pics of the chain drive setup, and I think the price is "a tad" optimistic, but it would not be slow. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/6/24 8:10 a.m.

I've mentioned owing a 86 (or 87) CRX SI new... that's the pos we traded in on it!!!

A Briggs & Stratton would have been an upgrade!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/6/24 11:28 a.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

I can't remember the last time I saw a Spectrum!! 

Same here–probably in my dorm parking lot. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 12:51 p.m.

seems like the wipers move kinda slow, which made me think:  will the bike alternator support a car's electrical load?

also, ad says something like "stock CV's are coupled to a chain drive sprocket".  i wonder if that means there's no diff.

DavyZ
DavyZ New Reader
2/6/24 2:09 p.m.

Interesting idea, but I don't like the exhaust coming up straight out of the engine compartment. Has he no class? lol

I think just putting some better wheels on it will make the car more attractive and may make a gearhead jump on the deal.  

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
2/6/24 6:35 p.m.

Could they not have tilted the engine forward a bit more and cleared the hood?  Or at least popped a hood scoop on it? :-/

nealt
nealt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/7/24 10:07 a.m.

I mean...exhaust running into the low pressure area at the base of the windshield won't instantly kill you. But if you don't even cut a hole in the hood, it might.

But otherwise the idea sounds kinda fun.

2/7/24 10:42 a.m.

If anyone ever finds one of these, let me know.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/7/24 11:02 a.m.

I'll be the Debbie Downer:

The weight is a killer. Sure, the bike engine has ~200hp, but it's all at the high end. Getting the car off the line will be a chore, and hell on the tiny clutch. Bikes don't have flywheels, so clutch engagement will be a light switch. Sure, it'll eventually be fast but will get beat off the line by just about anything.

I got a ride in a BEC (Bike-Engine Car) Lotus "Seven" and even the experienced owner stalled it a bunch of times. Also, because there's no flywheel, it got into this odd oscillation at constant freeways speed, where the drive train would start this back and forth clunking, made worse by the driver's foot on the gas. Fun to drive for a hour maybe, but wasn't for me. That said, on-track, it could be a real blast... but on the street, not so much.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/24 1:37 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

What bike engine was it running?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/8/24 8:54 a.m.
MyMiatas said:

You must shift it with the auto selector. One down four up.   :0D A clutch pedal is present.

That's brilliant

2_3
2_3 Reader
3/29/24 1:10 p.m.

Somebody bought the car and made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxA5_kp83I

Colin Wood
3/29/24 3:17 p.m.

In reply to 2_3 :

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Good to know it didn't just disappear into obscurity.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/24 8:43 p.m.

Someone bought it for $3000.  At least that is the last price listed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5LRlO1Y3Oy4KJowlfUQEXg7yGUSH3hfwszuh0Yz3lOeu0190mpX1ScyiqUtBfEX