David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/24 4:57 p.m.
feature_image

Factory-built race cars didn’t only come from Porsche, Ferrari and Shelby. Oldsmobile played in that space, too. 

And it offered one with rather humble roots.

The year was 1992, with the now-shuttered brand conjuring up something special for the day’s professional street stock endurance racers–think IMSA’s Firehawk series, the predecessor to today’s IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge.

The starting point for …

Read the rest of the story

deaconblue
deaconblue Reader
10/10/24 1:31 p.m.

IIRC, that engine was supposed to be in the stillborn 1989 Fiero GT.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
10/10/24 9:15 p.m.

I still miss my 92 SCX, it was a fun car, just was getting a bit worn out.  Not easy to find one nowadays.  The W41 and HO Quad engines do make good swaps into Fieros.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/11/24 9:59 a.m.

I know we often say a lot of cars would turn heads at a Radwood show, but I feel like this is one that definitely would.

Most people probably won't know the significance, but for those that do, it'd be like seeing a unicorn in the flesh.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/11/24 11:24 a.m.

That one is straight out of the "way back machine."  Totally forgot about them.  

Kind of cool to be reminded of an old brand that had a coupe and some folks on the inside who modified it for better performance for a niche crowd.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/11/24 12:39 p.m.

Man, I LOVE these. 

I've told this story before, but when I was around 11 years old, I went with my dad, uncle, and cousin to the local Olds dealer to buy my cousin's first new car: A 1993 Olds Achieva. While I was sitting in the showroom waiting for them to do the paperwork, I sat on a couch and watched a loop of an Olds promo video that featured all the new Olds products and give a look at their motorsports efforts. In there was footage of the Aerotech concept, the 1994 Aurora, and all sorts of stuff on the Quad 4-powered SCX. My cousin ended up buying a 4-door silver-on-red Achieva S (I think) with a 5-speed manual trans, so there was a possibility it had the Quad 4. But the SCX they showed on that promo loop was what I was really hoping he'd buy! It looked so much better as a 2 door and without the awkward rear fender skirts his sedan had. 

I still want one! Someday....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/11/24 7:05 p.m.

I like this way more than I thought I would. 

The better half said, "It's adorable and ugly at the same time."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qjoz2x4XNHGfgSnUtApMrjg3gpVqwAc3JQM3c8zsq5LCRURRbT9P9RIxIFY4EO9J