Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/21/24 10:37 a.m.
feature_image

The iconic look of a Shelby Cobra, but in a more compact package? How about an MGB bodied to look like a Shelby Cobra?

This Cobra lookalike retains its MG inline-four and four-speed gearbox, though does come fitted with rally-style wheels.

Find this 1977 “MG Shelby Cobra” available from Vicari Auction as part of its upcoming Biloxi auction, October 10-12.

Read the rest of the story

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/21/24 10:49 a.m.

The MGB engine is the doom of an otherwise great sports car. "All noise and no poise" when you step on the gas.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/21/24 11:07 a.m.

Wow, that’s, um, something. 

By the way, I love Cobra replicas built on off-beat chassis. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/24 11:14 a.m.

That's a neat build but it would be super disappointing to only have that MG 4 under the hood. With looks like that you'd want some substance behind them, no?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/21/24 11:43 a.m.

Hey, at least they started with a buggy bumper car instead of an earlier one.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
9/21/24 11:50 a.m.

That car needs a Rover V8.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/21/24 11:53 a.m.

Without the V8 it's made to look like an Ace.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/21/24 12:01 p.m.

A guy in SoCal built one decades ago   and tried to make it more like an AC Ace , 

The mock-up looked pretty good , but I never saw it finished.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/24 12:16 p.m.

The steering wheel has got to go.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
9/21/24 12:19 p.m.

Can't wait to see what it gets on the block.  Should make mine worth more

porschenut
porschenut Dork
9/21/24 12:21 p.m.

Forgot the money shot

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/24 2:19 p.m.

Without trying to yuck the builder's yum, it's tough to replicate the shape of a wasp-waisted car by adding extra material to an existing car that doesn't really have a waist at all. You don't capture the proportions. And proportion is where beauty and character lie.

Those "rally-style" wheels are just the standard steel Rostyle wheels that most MGBs got from about 1970 on up, for whatever that's worth. They're okay on a visually slender chrome-bumpered B, but on a bulked-up shape like this, they look tiny. The fact that the wheel wells are also tiny and low on the body make the car look extra thick and not particularly pretty.

Maybe the value in a car like this is that the builder got to express himself and enjoy a hobby without going bankrupt.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
9/21/24 2:21 p.m.
NOHOME said:

The MGB engine is the doom of an otherwise great sports car. "All noise and no poise" when you step on the gas.

They blew that one when they released the DOHC version of the B series engine in the MGA prematurely before sorting out all the bugs.   That version made 108 bhp and 105 ft-lbs. Scaled up to the 1798 cc MGB displacement would approximate 122 bhp and around 118 Tq

I created a hybrid version for my MGA vintage racer  - a 1950 cc 5 main engine that used the Twin Cam head and accessories. We figured around 190 bhp (12:1, radical cams etc.) in race tune - it easily walked away from cars like the 3.8 Jag XK 150 S on the straight.

Sorting out the issues of the DOHC engine before they released it  would have almost certainly have resulted in a sports version of the MGB with that engine, which would have carried it into the early 1970s - once smog standards hit it is hard to say what the effect would have been on power output.

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
9/21/24 3:25 p.m.
Colin Wood said: You Need This

You keep using this sentence

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Xf2hVUDPHVqgBIxGJSfq1LHi32tXd8P08XpgK6k6O1VpCI1aZVRIkxJh8nqHdrE