David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/24 4:49 p.m.
feature_image

1980s vintage cred? Check.

Legit motorsports history? Yep.

Big box flares? Present and accounted for.

What we have here is a 1985 Volkswagen Jetta coupe prepared for SCCA GT3 competition. While SCCA GT regs allow a full tube chassis, this one looks to be tub-based–also allowed under the rules.

But wait, there’s more: According to the ad, this one has been …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/30/24 4:50 p.m.

That is just oozing with radness.

Super bonus points for being a race car that's (essentially) been turned into a show car.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/30/24 4:59 p.m.

Those box-flares are sweet. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/24 5:15 p.m.

That is crazy.  I like it.  Why do I keep looking at the alternator run off of the camshaft?

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/30/24 5:37 p.m.

Nice entry price-point for vintage racing.  Love it!

David S. Wallens
7/30/24 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

It would look so perfect on an HSR grid. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/30/24 6:39 p.m.

Kinda cool but unlikely to be competitive in gt3 

David S. Wallens
7/31/24 9:02 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Just looked at the GT3 results from last year’s SCCA Runoffs since I was curious. I think the Jetta could have easily scored a top-10 finish.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
7/31/24 10:41 a.m.

Ohhh... 8v of fury! surprise

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/31/24 11:02 a.m.

While I wasn't able to track down old footage of this car competing on YouTube, I did find some other really cool videos:

(I plan to do some more searching later after work.)

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/31/24 1:56 p.m.

Matt Ford has a nice spec gti for sale as well. No box flares though. . 

David S. Wallens
7/31/24 2:08 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Ohhh... 8v of fury! surprise

Total fury. My Rabbit GTI had a cam in it (well, an aftermarket one) and it pulled. Never dynoed it since this was before the era of the Dynojet, but I made it made 95 at the wheels–maybe. :) 

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
7/31/24 2:32 p.m.

The price for what the car is seems fair.  Nicely presented and tasty.

drsmooth
drsmooth Dork
7/31/24 3:27 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

That guy has some pure gold on his channel, in addition to everything from the 1980's runnoffs!! 

I consider this runoffs broadcast to be the first modern race broadcast. It seems like it would have been right at home on Speed channel 20+ years later. 

Definitly watch the Formula Vee race and pay attention to the pre race interviews instead of skipping them!! Then watch actually happens in the race!! It is a barn burner for sure! 

Also one of the races from this runoffs ( i think i posted it a few years back) was never meant to be broadcast, but they recorded it anyways; the announcers and camera operators had some fun with that one! One of the memorable highlights of that race was the camera featuring a guy (from the waist up) standing in the door of his RV taking a leak out the door to the very thirsty ground below. the commentators made some amusing comments about it then moved back to the race!!

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/31/24 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Thanks for posting.  Each video shows how to solve a modern day, manufactured stewarding dilemma of "track limits."  There were real consequences for running off the asphalt and on to the clay/grass/dirt.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/31/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

That first video is from a guy known as friedgreencorrado here on this forum.  I havn't seen him post in a while though.  He worked for TBS in Atlanta back when they did the production for the runoffs at Road Atlanta, so he had plenty of tape (not VHS, but studio tape) of several runoffs races from back in the day.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
7/31/24 8:53 p.m.

I keep seeing this thing on the streets minus the graphics, stickers, etc..can't help but wonder what the local cars & coffee folks would think of it.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qcegw8HZAH0hcdafhrwmfNd5CGsZY35PoGpAP9Pvlggop59yayvQhgdTeXOiQmP8