1 2 3 4
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/23 2:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
DirtyBird222 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Do I share my thoughts for each car mentioned?

I think you're legally obligated to do so. 

Well in that case. 

I’m elbow deep in some Classic Motorsports editorial today, but I can add that to my to-do list. 

Thanks and keep those ideas coming. 

How important is it that the car be "writeable"?  That is, does it need to be distinctly different from other cars in the GRM fleet so that you can more easily write articles about it?

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/23 2:41 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

How important is it that the car be "writeable"?  That is, does it need to be distinctly different from other cars in the GRM fleet so that you can more easily write articles about it?

I was wondering about this also. A lot of the cars mentioned duplicate or partially duplicate vehicles already in the GRM project car or employee fleet that already get written about. I mean the 350z and the NC have engine swaps, but they still started out as a 350z and an NC and almost immediately got powered up to be competitive in the desired class/field.

ModularCal
ModularCal New Reader
8/17/23 3:03 p.m.

How about a Panther platform?

- Absolutely everywhere (Police fleets, taxi services, retirement communities, security) and can be had cheap, especially police auctions.

- Shared parts with a lot of the Ford fleet (2v 4.6 was used everywhere) means parts are cheap and plentiful.

- Double wishbones and a watts link in later models.

- Lots of room, comfy and decent gas mileage.

- When driving on the street with a push bar, people freak out and move out of your way, saving you time.

- Oh yeah, a push bar.

- Brett Madsen's Spec P71 shows how fun these cars are on track. https://www.racespecp71.com/

- If you want to be boujee, get a non-garage kept Marauder (32v DOHC).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/23 4:48 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:
DirtyBird222 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Do I share my thoughts for each car mentioned?

I think you're legally obligated to do so. 

Well in that case. 

I’m elbow deep in some Classic Motorsports editorial today, but I can add that to my to-do list. 

Thanks and keep those ideas coming. 

I’m thinking this would generate content, whether that’s in print or online. (Call it an occupation hazard, but I’m also thinking that I’m not the only one in this situation.) That content, of course, could range from “do this” to “don’t do this.”

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
8/17/23 4:53 p.m.

In reply to ModularCal :

Something like this? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/23 5:01 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

Sounds familiar. :) 

ModularCal
ModularCal New Reader
8/17/23 5:07 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

In a way!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/17/23 6:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I’m thinking this would generate content, whether that’s in print or online. (Call it an occupation hazard, but I’m also thinking that I’m not the only one in this situation.) That content, of course, could range from “do this” to “don’t do this.”

Yes I would love to see articles on a car one could run errands with, do some autocross and track day as is.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/17/23 6:01 p.m.

In reply to ModularCal :

I love that they are catching up the cars in front.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 6:09 p.m.
ModularCal said:

How about a Panther platform?

- Absolutely everywhere (Police fleets, taxi services, retirement communities, security) and can be had cheap, especially police auctions.

- Shared parts with a lot of the Ford fleet (2v 4.6 was used everywhere) means parts are cheap and plentiful.

- Double wishbones and a watts link in later models.

- Lots of room, comfy and decent gas mileage.

- When driving on the street with a push bar, people freak out and move out of your way, saving you time.

- Oh yeah, a push bar.

- Brett Madsen's Spec P71 shows how fun these cars are on track. https://www.racespecp71.com/

- If you want to be boujee, get a non-garage kept Marauder (32v DOHC).

I documented that fully with my P71 here back in 2007-2010. 

Mk5jon
Mk5jon New Reader
8/17/23 6:21 p.m.

To me the answer is obvious.... find a Golf that suits your needs whether its the Gti, R or GTD if you want max fuel economy. They're super reliable, tons of owner info about them and quick once you've spent some money sorting out the soft oem suspension and bushes, brakes are a good thing to upgrade too and maybe a diff if the oem electronic torque vectoring style diff is not up to your standards. You'll fit all the tools you'll ever need in the boot to.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/23 6:35 p.m.

I think that it needs to be unique, obscure, and original. The world's scariest Volvo. Do it right with more box flares. laugh

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/17/23 6:52 p.m.

How about a V12 Jaguar. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/23 7:18 p.m.

I have 2 very different suggestions:

As previously mentioned, and rightfully so, a K series powered SI. Let's be honest, it's the droid you're looking for. 

But on the other end of the spectrum we have a another option that's completely different and could possibly provide a wealth of editorial content. A retired V8 impala based police interceptor. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/17/23 8:43 p.m.

Isn't there an Integra GSR for sale here on the forum right now?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/17/23 9:24 p.m.
Tom1200 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Yes I would love to see articles on a car one could run errands with, do some autocross and track day as is.

I've got 2 in the garage. Want to see them? Convince Mr Wallens he should follow my advice lol

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/17/23 9:28 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to te72 :

My son and I tracked his LS400 and he's used it at a few track days........they do surprisingly well but they are still big.

Oh they absolutely are. I normally autocross Miata sized cars, so switching to big green was an experience in learning that I needed to be a foot further to the left on a LOT of cones. =P

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/17/23 9:49 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

For me adding a manual would make them really great.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
8/18/23 7:32 a.m.

BiTurbo.

Also, I believe it should be law that GRM employees be forced to only purchase vehicles and parts for said vehicles from the grm for sale section. Be forced to document second hand GRM handmedowns would be like eating food out of a waffle house dumpster.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/23 11:32 a.m.

other outside the box thought; because that's about all I'm full-up with:

Ford Maverick

Obviously, I'd orient towards the hybrid one.  But, I reckon "most" people would be more interested in the ecoboost.  It's a truck, so it ticks off all the "leave outside"/"be practical" things.  There's options to go tweak up a bit of power; good and growing aftermarket base.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/21/23 10:04 a.m.

Another option I would be interested in seeing you develop is a later model Mustang with IRS -- maybe the turbo four? 

Shortroundchris
Shortroundchris GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/26/23 4:32 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So much like yourself, I have been looking for all those things you listed...I had few e36s in my time. Great platform and easy cars to work on. But I'm done with wrenching. Wanted more seat time. So I bought myself the Hyundai Veloster N. And let me tell ya it brought back e36 m3 vibes but in FWD form. Best value per dollar!!!! The handling is superb and all the tech packaged is awesome. Thank you Alber Biermann!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/26/23 1:39 p.m.

How about an EV?  It doesn't have to be a Tesla plaid.  The model 3 seems to generate a lot of activity.  
  Or maybe a Chevy Bolt ?  
    Mustang Mach E ? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
69oCJ1BZlASyDowurFJ3sZpZqzGmU4eTC0a88itYhNB2ilQOjzqJHAcVewgJgP0P