1 ... 4 5 6
Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/16 10:36 a.m.
AaronBalto wrote: In reply to Tyler H:A really nice 1994 NSX coupe sold for $80k on Bring a Trailer last week. I think that $100k for a quality car is obviously on the horizon.

Totally agree. The fact that there is an example of a really nice NSX selling for $80k, when other similar really nice NSX can be found anywhere from $42k to $60k, should indicate that the market is about to explode. And for any of you 'bubble' naysayers:

(Scene fades / wipes....flash back to 2006. Black Eye Peas song starts playing the background.)
"That guy wants $7500 for a 912, LOL. Hey look! There's a 77 3.0L Carrera grey market car for $10k." "911SCs will never be worth more than $12k when you can buy a nice 3.2 Carrera for $14-15k all day long"

NSX has always had number jockeys point to it's low HP numbers. That's just fine by me. Regardless of output, it is a car engineered and built to a standard far above same-period F cars and thus has a lot of intrinsic value.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/16 10:36 a.m.

Joe,

That is a good call out. It's all about the special cars. Either the halo cars or the truly special editions of the regular models. Most of what I've seen here are barely inflation beaters. Great if you want a cheap cost to own but not really $$$ makers.

Follow the prancing horse. Look at the rises in the 355's lately.

The 348 is still not too bad compared to the rest of the lines. I bet that goes up 30-40% in 5 years.

Another interesting one to watch will be the SLP Firebirds and Camaros that were made. Are they going to be the be the next generation COPO cars?

Also, What happens when you can actually earn any money from investments constantly. I see a lot of speculation in the market right now because of the cheap credit.

Tyler H
2/18/16 10:39 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: The 348 is still not too bad compared to the rest of the lines. I bet that goes up 30-40% in 5 years.

Agree...the 348 and 964 are ones to watch. They straddle that awkward period between old and new-fangled and never really hit their niche. They also had low production numbers.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
2/18/16 10:47 a.m.

The SLP cars aren't likely to see much difference in the short run. Saw a Firehawk at auction recently and the numbers were pretty dismal. Factory approved tuner specials won't pull nearly as much as a real factory special (and we're not talking just sticker packages)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/18/16 11:25 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Something to consider. Only the very best examples of these cars will be worth big money.
This is true, though at one point in the late 90s I saw a for sale ad in the Kirban newsletter for a GNX with around 180k miles on it and they were looking for $15k. Granted the car had probably been fixed up, but I couldn't help thinking that guy got his money's worth out of the car.

WHAT!You mean that clapped out 68 Charger that needs glass, floors, quarters, grille, and interior isn't worth $6,500? Has Craigslist been lying to me the whole time?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/16 11:25 a.m.

If you want an NSX--- and I agree they will go up in value--- find an Alex Zanardi special edition. Those will be the ones that bring big $$ in the future. Not all NSX's will be crazy in price. Unlike many "exotics", people actually drove NSX's like real cars. High mileage ones may not cost you much in depreciation, but they won't make you big $ either. Only the pristine, totally stock cars will be high priced.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/18/16 11:34 a.m.

Sorry if this has been said, don't have time to read the whole thread. I think it follows the money demographics. Right now, it's the late '60's muscle cars that bring insane prices. That's because the people who drooled on them as teenagers are now later in life and have the cash to buy them. So a large stash of cash combined with a very dwindled supply = high prices. Twenty years go, the 60's cars didn't bring anywhere near as much and IIRC it was the 50's stuff that was the rage, or even just pre-post WWII stuff. 15-20 years from now, old farts like us who grew up in the 80's will pay big bucks to relive the good 'ol days of the CRX or IROC-Z.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/16 11:43 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Sorry if this has been said, don't have time to read the whole thread. I think it follows the money demographics. Right now, it's the late '60's muscle cars that bring insane prices. That's because the people who drooled on them as teenagers are now later in life and have the cash to buy them. So a large stash of cash combined with a very dwindled supply = high prices. Twenty years go, the 60's cars didn't bring anywhere near as much and IIRC it was the 50's stuff that was the rage, or even just pre-post WWII stuff. 15-20 years from now, old farts like us who grew up in the 80's will pay big bucks to relive the good 'ol days of the CRX or IROC-Z.

Tend to agree. Let's be honest, as cool as some of the 60s and 70s cars can be, they are mostly big pieces of garbage in every area. Mechanicals, build quality, performance and even aesthetically in some cases. The only thing driving demand is the nostalgia and the fact that most of them have either rusted to pieces or been driven into the dirt.

You can check the 60s Ferrari prices back in the 80s and most were just not going for much of anything, certainly nowhere close to the millions people are getting for them today and that's because at the time people evaluated them less for their cool factor and more for their practical aspects, of which there were and are none.

Tyler H
2/18/16 11:51 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: If you want an NSX--- and I agree they will go up in value--- find an Alex Zanardi special edition. Those will be the ones that bring big $$ in the future. Not all NSX's will be crazy in price. Unlike many "exotics", people actually drove NSX's like real cars. High mileage ones may not cost you much in depreciation, but they won't make you big $ either. Only the pristine, totally stock cars will be high priced.

True, but that's like calling out the difference between a 1973 911 and a 1973 911 Carrera RS. Once the needle swings past 'unobtanium,' they may as well cost the same. ;)

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/16 12:20 p.m.
Mike wrote: How about the second-generation "Bangle butt" 6 series? I never really disliked them, and they're aging quite well. They're also a lot of car for the money, and seem to be around the bottom right now.

It seems like these high end mass produced sports sedans never seem to rebound in price, but then again we've only been doing them since the late 80s early 90s.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/18/16 1:37 p.m.

There was a special edition f-body Trans-Am with the white paint and blueish tinted wheels, I could see that guy going up (only ever seen a couple on the road). I have no idea what they cost now, but they were trading hands in the 20s-30s awhile back. 30th Anniversary T/A

As for down the road, I was thinking Lexus IS-F. I always check on those things and they never seem to drop in value. Yamaha V-8 with a great exhaust note, very few mechanical issues. I could see holding on to one of those paying off down the road.

As has already been mentioned, the Sy/Ty twins (and turbo T/A) and Integra Type-R's (especially in Championship White).

I am hoping the bubble in the 60's collector car market pops, as someone in his early 30's that would love to get his hands on something from that era for a fun weekend cruiser (or truck). I'm not holding my breath, though, as I imagine it will be awhile.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/18/16 1:53 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: I am hoping the bubble in the 60's collector car market pops, as someone in his early 30's that would love to get his hands on something from that era for a fun weekend cruiser (or truck). I'm not holding my breath, though, as I imagine it will be awhile.

I've been seeing cars like AMC Javelins around still for decent prices.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/16 2:57 p.m.
Harvey wrote:
Mike wrote: How about the second-generation "Bangle butt" 6 series? I never really disliked them, and they're aging quite well. They're also a lot of car for the money, and seem to be around the bottom right now.
It seems like these high end mass produced sports sedans never seem to rebound in price, but then again we've only been doing them since the late 80s early 90s.

The BMW 8 series seems to have done well...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/18/16 3:09 p.m.
Mike wrote:
Harvey wrote:
The BMW 8 series seems to have done well...

That's not a sport sedan though. He's talking like 5 series.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
2/18/16 4:39 p.m.

E46 M3. Unlike it's predecessor, we didn't get a watered down version, and the 6sp manual, I6 configuration is a lot more "classic BMW" than any of the M-badged cars from current days. Plus, it came in a ton of iconic and limited edition colors to drive up value. Laguna Seca blue with the baseball mitt interior? That's my favorite.

Not that they are cheap to begin with, but manual transmission super cars are already commanding a huge premium. I think the 599 was the last Ferrari to get one. Granted, the value curve will probably taper off pretty quickly, since the population having nostalgia about driving them is dwindling pretty quickly.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy PowerDork
2/18/16 5:07 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: Turbo sprints/fireflys and suzuki swift gtis. Go ahead, laugh. Now try and find me a turbo firefly/sprint. Cheapest rust free one I've seen lately has been $3500. Swifts are approaching $5k territory if they are clean.
They'll never be worth substantially more than that. They're peaking right now because there are still people legitimately interested in them.

I don't think they've peaked. I've been seeing some GTi's for sale for $7k+. Will they ever be worth $20k? No, but a mint, 100% original GTi I could see eventually going for $10k to the right bidder. Not bad for a car that sold for what, $8k new?

I would also literally kill people for a mint, bone stock, unmolested (red) Turbo Firefly. They are all gone

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
obFiTXW0Zg74CPyZEaSQMoUoOgUSg7EadV9DoD474S1yixSJy5dsCODfyI8SN4QY