Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
6/6/24 11:10 a.m.

After sitting for years in my in-laws garage and then for a few more in mine I finally decided to get this bike back into riding condition. Overall its not in bad shape, it needs new tires and tubes, a new chain and a tuneup along with a deep clean to get all the old grease and dust off the frame and drivetrain. While I am at it I will re-wrap the bars because the wrap is starting to look and feel a little crusty. my goal is to do this all on a zero dollar budget using just what I already have in the garage from other spare parts and hand-me-downs from my father-in-laws parts pile. 

First up is to get the saddle bag off and give the frame a good scrub down and degrease. 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
6/6/24 3:54 p.m.

Sometimes those gen Shimano brifters get weird about shifting because the grease starts to get dry and block the ratchet and pawls from ratcheting. A flush with WD40 and pulling on the cables can usually free them up. Those cables also love to fray right where they exit and jam. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
6/6/24 4:34 p.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

Thanks for the heads up on that. I will make sure to check that out and clean them up. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iimazm3RyCY0gqFHCSM6EJk6yWJrGMRkFNjzM7kcpqi3IuOS8XO4xI5OE3bBXdH9