I'm getting bit by the adventure motorcycle bug again. I think a TW200 would fit the bill well. I've had a few dirt bikes but I've never ridden on the street so this would be a learner bike.

It would be used for running errands, exploring rural areas and commuting. My commute is 11 miles; about 7 miles of that is a two lane county road that has a 55mph speed limit. I'm 5'9" and a chonky 210lbs. My only concern is that the TW200 wouldn't be enough with me and a headwind to sustain 55mph.

I like that it's a small bike with a reasonable seat height. To be honest, I'm kind of intimidated by bikes with a higher seat height (the KLR650 for example).

I can't really find any TW200s in the local area. I wouldn't mind having an earlier one for a couple grand but those don't seem to exist inside a 500 mile radius. People are selling ones that are a few years old for less that a grand less that a brand new 2024.

Thoughts?

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/24 12:39 a.m.

I have nothing to contribute that is specific to the TW200 but am interested in what others have to say. I am 5'7" and spent a lot of time on an old XL250R in my youth. Seat height was modest compared to MX bikes and manageable even for me, although the weight (~275lb dry) was a liability in rough stuff. Power was adequate for the mountainous area (meaning no freeways) that I lived in, but no more than adequate. Even with less weight to lug around than I have now it was a chore to maintain 55 or 60. It would do it, but there just wasn't much in reserve  and I always wished I had stepped up to a 350 or 400.

How do you feel about an older, larger displacement dual-sport bike? Something like a Honda XL500 or Yamaha XT500 would have plenty of power to run those speeds, and twin shock models have lower seat heights than newer stuff. On the other hand, they are nearing 50 years old. And you'd be faced with the prospect of kick starting a big-bore thumper.

I may have a less foolish idea. Stand by.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/24 12:56 a.m.

I weigh at least as much as you do, and had fun ripping around town on one a while back. I was on urban surface streets and I probably didn't take it over 40mph, but it did OK in that setting. Kinda fun to be able to pin it without having to worry about instant death/go straight to jail speeds. I imagine it would do 55mph without too much trouble, but might not have a lot of acceleration/passing oomph at 55.

Riding a smallbore dual sport in traffic requires the right mindset and the right degree of caution, but can be tons of fun.

I also rode a Suzuki DR350 everywhere for years, and with the right gearing that would do 70mph, and was also cheap to buy. It does have a higher seat height, which worked for me (I'm 6'2") My buddy who is around 5'8" also rides a DR350. He put a lowering link, low seat, and lowered forks on his. I can understand not wanting to mess with all that, and the TW200 is probably tough to beat for seat height in the category.

Can you find one to rent/test ride?

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/24 1:12 a.m.

Apparently a Royal Enfield Scram 411 is only about $100 more than a TW200.  Very different, but maybe worth a look if you end up having to buy new.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EtWyl8DDozVaSaHBFDRUT3FtgpuHQmYjaflJihIhOhrzC3WoQyJNnGcMvyvlxjlM