1 2
townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
5/18/10 10:55 p.m.

Thanks to my CL addiction I'm now the owner of a somewhat cosmetically challenged, 31K mile, but well maintained, 2001 KLR650. Seemed like the thing to do for $1,1000. Is four bikes too many? If I count the scooter it's five.... I think I need help.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/10 11:17 p.m.

Yes, four bikes is way too many, the solution is to give one to me.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
5/18/10 11:19 p.m.

You could give me one as a late b'day present. Because you can't ride all of them at once.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/18/10 11:33 p.m.

KLR650... jealous.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/18/10 11:51 p.m.

pics or... do i have to say it?

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
5/19/10 6:53 a.m.

It's still raining so no good pics yet. Here she is just after loading for the trip home.

alex
alex Dork
5/19/10 9:25 a.m.

I've been looking for one of those. No question, when you see one for a grand, you pull the trigger. Well bought.

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
5/24/10 6:35 a.m.

I've started the conversion to bed liner black.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/24/10 6:50 a.m.

I kinda liked the green... how about olive drab / flat black camo paint job?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/10 7:28 a.m.

Awesome bike, especially for a grand.

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
5/24/10 1:30 p.m.

I have the same problem. My issue is that I'm 30-45 minutes between 2 bigger craigslists locations. So I scout both. Daily. The guidence that has saved my financial ass sofar is this, "how am I going to explain this when she gets home?"

That keeps the garage pretty much like a garage and less like a battle ground.

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
5/24/10 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

Though it didn't look too bad in the photos the plastics were faded and pretty beat up. The bed liner gives me that nice "Mad Max" look that the ladies will love.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/24/10 6:16 p.m.

At that price, you'll need at least two more bikes.

Josh
Josh Dork
5/24/10 8:30 p.m.

Aren't all KLRs cosmetically challenged? And isn't that kinda the point?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/25/10 9:22 a.m.

How is the KLR at highway speed for any length of time? Buzzy, make your fillings rattle or as acceptable as an I-4?

Dan

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
5/25/10 9:50 p.m.
914Driver wrote: How is the KLR at highway speed for any length of time? Buzzy, make your fillings rattle or as acceptable as an I-4?

I haven't even registered it yet so all I've done it ride it around the neighborhood a couple of times. Hope to have a plate on it by the end of the week. I'll let ya know how goes.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/26/10 12:14 a.m.

Friggin sweet deal. If I ever upgrade my DR, the KLR is in the running. For 1100 that is just a stupid great deal. I got into dual sports in 08 when a buddy loaned me his KLR650. It was fine at freeway speeds, even up to breif stints of 90 (on a decline). Way better than my DR400 on the freeway

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
5/29/10 6:22 p.m.

I sold my KLR and I have regretted it ever since, I think it was the same year as yours, it had the same color scheme, I hardly ever rode it, could never find anyone to go biking. I only sold it because I needed money bad. Have fun with it!!!

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
6/10/10 10:46 p.m.

Being a project bike it'll never be complete but here's what it looks like now.

I've ridden it about 250 miles so far, about 40 of that on the highway. It'll run 70-75 without working too hard. The vibration isn't all that bad but you are aware that you're on a big single. Well worth the $1500 I've spend. Going to need sprokets / chain and front tire fairly soon but they're pretty cheap.

Beater KLR650 - $1100, IMS 6.6gal tank - $245, Barkbuster Storm handguards $102, RubberMaid trunk from WalMart - $19, 3 or 4 rattle cans of bed liner - $25+/-

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/11/10 6:08 a.m.
5ev3n wrote: ...... "how am I going to explain this when she gets home?" That keeps the garage pretty much like a garage and less like a bedroom..

FIXED

alex
alex Dork
6/12/10 7:20 p.m.
townsend7 wrote: Being a project bike it'll never be complete but here's what it looks like now. I've ridden it about 250 miles so far, about 40 of that on the highway. It'll run 70-75 without working too hard. The vibration isn't all that bad but you are aware that you're on a big single. Well worth the $1500 I've spend. Going to need sprokets / chain and front tire fairly soon but they're pretty cheap. Beater KLR650 - $1100, IMS 6.6gal tank - $245, Barkbuster Storm handguards $102, RubberMaid trunk from WalMart - $19, 3 or 4 rattle cans of bed liner - $25+/-

You're going to have to stop posting about this bike. You're making my desire to get one too much to bear.

I LOVE that top case. I have evil plans for making saddlebags out of cheapo toolboxes from a big box store. Take that idea and run some beta testing for me, wouldja?

townsend7
townsend7 New Reader
6/12/10 11:02 p.m.
alex wrote: You're going to have to stop posting about this bike. You're making my desire to get one too much to bear. I LOVE that top case. I have evil plans for making saddlebags out of cheapo toolboxes from a big box store. Take that idea and run some beta testing for me, wouldja?

I was thinking ammo can saddlebags. Something like:

alex
alex Dork
6/13/10 9:28 a.m.

I like those, but they're pretty hefty. I was going to put some on my TL-S streetfighter and turn it into a hooligan commuter since it wouldn't notice the extra weight.

What size are those cases? By which I mean, do you know what size round they originally held? The biggest ones I can find at local surplus stores are .50 cal, and they're not quite that large. In order for it to be commuter-worthy, it needs to be able to fit my 'Stich one piece, and at least a gallon of milk (or handle of whisky).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/13/10 10:46 a.m.

I just got a catalog from Whitehorse Gear in the mail the other day, and I noticed they carry quite a few accessories for the KLR650: http://www.whitehorsegear.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=klr650&x=0&y=0

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
6/13/10 7:16 p.m.

The biggest negative about hard saddlebags is when you crash, they are sharp, heavy objects heading straight towards your groin, legs, face, etc..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OOTMtf1y5JJI8JRPmX7XO2D8WWjPXlhIOWvr1EM3rBgh8Joy1juqM1alB8hoGvm