1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/11/10 5:06 p.m.

Yes, I'm excited.

I've never ridden a motorcycle in my life, this seemed like the best way to learn. I do have significant experience on pedal bikes and a good amount on snowmobiles, though, so I figure it can't be too much of a logical leap.

Depending on how it goes, I'll be looking to pick up a bike afterwards and start using it to commute instead of my oh-so-efficient Ford V8s. Based on my above experience, I know that I can't stand leaning back, so I figure a standard or sportbike is what I'll be looking for. There's a beat-to-hell-and-back-thrice 80's Kawi Ninja 500 on my local CL for < $750, might be just the ticket

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/11/10 6:05 p.m.

Have fun. I plan on taking the MSF when things thaw up here. My father used to teach the coarse back in the early 90's, so I have threats of much death if I go for my liscence with out it. And in NY, it means you no road test.

After that a Ninja 650R is in the works

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/11/10 6:28 p.m.

+1 on the MSF

next step....Craigslist for an armored riding jacket. Mesh with Armour for the summer. Leathers are too hot. AGATT is a term you will hear often. Obey it if you wish to live intact.

and I love my EX500. (aka ninja 500) Cheap all over..

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
1/11/10 6:40 p.m.

No can i know can say enough about MSF courses, myself included. You'll learn a lot more than just bike control, including situational awareness, correct safety inspection, and a desire not do skimp on gear (Or SIPDE, T-CLOCK, and ATGATT, in that order ) Thats about a fifth of the acrnyms you'll learn .

neon, where are you planning on taking yours? I did mine at Groton Cycle Center, which was very well run, plus they give 10% off all gear forever if you take it through them, or at least they did three years ago when i took it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/11/10 7:23 p.m.

Here in Cali it gets you a cert that gets you out of the practical exam.

Which is good, because my hours dictate that if I'm going to commute, I have to ride when it's dark out. Cali permit allows for daytime riding only, and I have to be at work about an hour before the sun does.

I geek out on gear, so ATGATT won't be a problem for me, lol.

I'm also not too concerned with getting some mondo bike right out of the gate. Friends are trying to convince me to get some 600 or 750, but my plan is to stay 500 or smaller for a first bike. I like the looks of the Kawi 250R, but I'm not sure I want to go straight into a sport bike. I don't want to be one of these guys:

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
1/11/10 7:30 p.m.

Have fun! I learned tons, even though I've been riding all kinds of two-wheeled contraptions for years. It isn't hard if you pay attention, though. I got a perfect score on the written and practical parts.

I did notice an abundance of acronyms. Don't get them confused, it will hurt you later.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/11/10 7:36 p.m.

the EX-500 / Ninja 500 is probably the best all around beginner / commuter bike....

very forgiving, big following (www.ex-500.com), reliable, 45-50mpg

I'm just looking to add luggage to mine

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/11/10 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Jamesc2123:

If they still do it I might go there, but otherwise I have to go out to the Binghamton H-D dealer

Turns out the one in Groton is MSP, Not MSF now. Not sure about the differences

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/10 8:21 p.m.

The MSF course will make you a better cage (car) driver as well. I drive much more defensively now that I am a biker.

The best starter bike is any mid-80's Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Spend no more than $1K, get a 750 (or 700 if it is after 1984) and have fun for a year or so. Drop it a few times, add a few things, wrench on it a bit, then sell it for $1K when you decide what kind of bike you want to live with long term.

If you know you like the sportbike life, hard to beat the Ninja 500. If you are not really sure, you could do an older Honda Nighhawk 750 and split the difference.

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
1/11/10 9:53 p.m.

Neon, I just checked, 1st MSP is what I took at Groton, and their course is the MSF course, just with a different name for some reason. Also, they still have the lifetime discount for grads!

Rev'nd, After buying a beat to hell and back bike for my first, and spending as much time fixing it as I did riding, I really wished I had bought something a little more complete. Fresh off my MSF course, I wanted to ride all day, every day, and weekends spend grounded were killer.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/12/10 12:31 p.m.

Thanks James, Groton it is

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/13/10 6:52 a.m.

Congrats!!! In a few or ten years when you get comfortable and start slacking off, take the advanced course. It's only one day and IIRC half the cost of the Basic Course.

UJMs FTW!

Dan

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/13/10 8:41 a.m.

Admittedly, my preference would be to buy 'Merkin, but the only American bikes I'm aware of are Harleys, Buells, and Indians.

The only Buell I'm aware of that would be in my price range would be a Blast, and I hear they're very hit or miss. I'm assuming any that are being hocked on CL are the misses.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/13/10 8:45 a.m.

Victory is domestic. Kinda clumsy for a beginner, UJMs are disposable.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-US/Victory-Motorcycles/Pages/Home.aspx

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/13/10 1:18 p.m.

Yeah, looking at Victory, they all look to be Cruisers.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/13/10 4:59 p.m.

Just make sure the buell has had the rocker box gasket upgraded if it is a 2001-2 and it will be good. My blast has about 28000 miles on it and keeps on going. It is loud, smoky, and obnoxious just the way I like it. It is the perfect bike for tearing through the streets of frisco because it is light an maneuverable. You could get one from between 1200-1500$ with less than 10k miles on it. It will do about 90mph on the freeway. I really like it and I run the bike to the rev limiter almost every time I ride it.

Watch out for the written portion of the motorcycle test there are some tricky questions about driving in the middle of the road and storing stuff.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/14/10 9:52 a.m.
benzbaron wrote: Watch out for the written portion of the motorcycle test there are some tricky questions about driving in the middle of the road and storing stuff.

Well, I already have my permit. Near as I'm aware, that's the only written portion of the exam, right? I thought the license test was just the practical, which taking the MSF gets you out of.

Or does the MSF cover the permit too? Did I just double dip?

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Blast - I'll be riding just an hour north of you from the sounds of things

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/14/10 10:09 a.m.

MSF gives you a permit, but is very worthwhile on the safety review.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/14/10 12:45 p.m.

All I know is I took the MSF course then I had to go to the DMV and take a tricky written test with all sorts of silly questions to get the M1 stamp on my license. Maybe because I was under 21 they had different rules. I think you can also go to the dmv and ride around a couple cones to get the m1 but I'm no expert.

I'm actually down on the peninsula, but if you ever make it to frisco I can tell you some of the funnest roads in the city. I love the street circuit, go in through twin peaks then down the hill into the haight. Another fun road is going over california with all the trolly lines and cars, it is like frogger on a bike. Once you are a better rider you can give "escape from the Mission" a try, but that is one of the more dangerous area to ride through because all the questionable drivers and double parked cars. You have to be ready to get on the brakes fast, always cover the rear brake.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/17/10 6:49 p.m.

Did it, rocked it. Aced the written, and was best-in-class for the practical.

So... someone 'round the bay got a cheap 250 they wanna sell me?

minimac
minimac Dork
1/18/10 7:25 a.m.

I've got an old KZ400 that's like new, but wrong side of the country. Since getting the Mrs.a scooter(Honda Elite 250) she doesn't ride the bike anymore. Congrats on aceing the class!

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith New Reader
1/24/10 3:05 p.m.

Nice.

The class was pretty fun when I took it a few years ago.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/24/10 4:17 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Admittedly, my preference would be to buy 'Merkin, but the only American bikes I'm aware of are Harleys, Buells, and Indians. The only Buell I'm aware of that would be in my price range would be a Blast, and I hear they're very hit or miss. I'm assuming any that are being hocked on CL are the misses.

Buy American....

http://www.bosshoss.com/

FTW

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/26/10 4:44 p.m.
wbjones wrote: Buy American.... http://www.bosshoss.com/ FTW

Heh, yeah, I've seen those before.

If I'm gonna go V8, though, why not go V10?

Dodge Tomahawk

oldtin
oldtin Reader
1/26/10 4:57 p.m.

If you were close to Chicago... I've got an ex 250 that's been just sitting for a few years.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l6QbZU1i63NGGPbP20IPFNSjrJSWmq1yEy4x62975IG6bjxFXBeNU482EnWPpEFx