SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/11/13 11:08 a.m.

It sure did.

I still remember it like yesterday.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/11/13 11:13 a.m.

Actually, our world is changing all the time, it just happens very slowly.

Our national and political perspective got a bit of reset 12yrs ago for sure.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/11/13 11:14 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Actually, our world is changing all the time, it just happens very slowly. Our national and political perspective got a bit of reset 12yrs ago for sure.

I was going to say the same thing, but without the plate techtonics.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/13 11:24 a.m.

I remember it like it was yesterday down to the dumbest little details.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/11/13 11:25 a.m.

Yeah, it has been a theme in some of the other threads today.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/major-heather-penney-sept-11-mission/70492/page1/ http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/can-we-please-stop-hotlinking-pics/20411/page2087/

It is my generation's Kennedy Assassination event; a tragedy so powerful that we can all recall with crystal clarity were we were, and when we figured out exactly what was happening.

It was an emotional rollercoaster for the general public.....shock/horror ("we can be attacked at home?!?!?!") followed by a feeling of unity and resolve, followed by sadness that things could not be resolved the way we wanted on the timeline we expected.

People's behavior changed that day. I was flying less than a week after the event, and sat on the aisle instead of the window. I was worried that I might need to get to the aisle to do something if we were attacked. (I know that sounds paranoid now, but it is what it is.)

Since then, I don't fly or even travel that much....I'm very much a home body.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/11/13 11:27 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Our national and political perspective got a bit of reset for the worse 12yrs ago for sure.

FTFY

Every time this date rolls around I really have to ask myself who really won in that mess, I don't think we really did.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/11/13 11:33 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: People's behavior changed that day. I was flying less than a week after the event, and sat on the aisle instead of the window. I was worried that I might need to get to the aisle to do something if we were attacked. (I know that sounds paranoid now, but it is what it is.) Since then, I don't fly or even travel that much....I'm very much a home body.

Paranoia is human nature for a reason.

My wife was a flight attendant for a while. I could have flown for free anywhere. Its a dream for anyone like us who would be happy to go pick up a car from Atlanta and drive it back to StL. Never did.

As for her, shes a tough gal. She would have done whatever she had to do. Previous job was as a fire marshal for Mopar.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
9/11/13 11:46 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Our national and political perspective got a bit of reset for the worse 12yrs ago for sure.
FTFY Every time this date rolls around I really have to ask myself who really won in that mess, I don't think we really did.

But...but..she's brown. Of course you need to shake her down.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/11/13 11:51 a.m.

At least the 9/11 files showing hulk hogan at the WTC aren't being posted....

I can still remember the day, crystal clear in Indiana, and a strange ominous feeling as I went to school. We ended up doing zero classwork and watched the news instead for the remainder of the week. A horrible tragedy for sure.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/11/13 11:55 a.m.

I wasn't ready for this but plenty of other people seem fine w/ it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/wisconsin-golf-club-offers-retracts-11-special-20210555

To me it's still a day of reverence, always will be. No 9/11 sales or specials please. That's just me.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/11/13 11:56 a.m.

I was at work, we had a small tv as a monitor on one of our units. The radio said a plane had hit the tower, I immediately thought of that WW2 bomber that hit the Empire State building in the fog way back when.

We turned the little tv to the news just in time to see the 2nd plane hit.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/11/13 12:00 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Yeah, it has been a theme in some of the other threads today. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/major-heather-penney-sept-11-mission/70492/page1/ http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/can-we-please-stop-hotlinking-pics/20411/page2087/ It is my generation's Kennedy Assassination event; a tragedy so powerful that we can all recall with crystal clarity were we were, and when we figured out exactly what was happening. It was an emotional rollercoaster for the general public.....shock/horror ("we can be attacked at home?!?!?!") followed by a feeling of unity and resolve, followed by sadness that things could not be resolved the way we wanted on the timeline we expected. People's behavior changed that day. I was flying less than a week after the event, and sat on the aisle instead of the window. I was worried that I might need to get to the aisle to do something if we were attacked. (I know that sounds paranoid now, but it is what it is.) Since then, I don't fly or even travel that much....I'm very much a home body.

Jr. in HS when JFK was killed .. we got the word during 5th period (ironically, civics class) ... was at work for 9/11 at a factory that produces parts for military and civilian air ... our world changed quite a bit from then on

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/11/13 12:03 p.m.

This morning I took a dozen crullers and 2 quarts of coffee to the firehouse/police station that I pass on my way to work every day. cost me about $20. Its by no means an all encompassing gift, because no single gift can adequately represent or cover the debt we owe to first responders. But still hope it made a modicum of difference in their day, or just reminded them that the people they service are mindful of their dedication and are appreciative of their efforts.

I will never forget.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/13 12:06 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
FTFY Every time this date rolls around I really have to ask myself who really won in that mess, I don't think we really did.

I don't wonder. It was a huge runaway success for Al Qaeda, sadly. I used to think the focus on taking out Bin Laden was about taking out a figurehead, but later I realized that he was the brains of the operation and he was frighteningly smart...evil, but smart. He planned everything out in advance and it all went according to his plan.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/11/13 12:15 p.m.

Of course I remember the horror of that day, from the minute I got up-- turning on the TV just as the 2nd plane had hit.

What I also remember is how the country came together in the immediate aftermath. In my lifetime I've never seen the country so united. For a short time there was no Democrat, or Republican.....no white or black or asian, or latino--- we were just Americans. It's a shame we couldn't have held onto that spirit, as it was incredibly powerful. Now we are back to our petty ways, always blaming others. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/11/13 12:19 p.m.

Yeah, there's no way to ever forget what happened. It's etched into our memories forever.

I was in college. I lived at home and commuted, and it was my off day, and I had planned on a morning junkyard run with fellow GRM'er Pseudosport. I woke up and checked my AOL home page (LOL AOL) and there was a pic of the 1st tower on fire. I called him up and told him to put on the news, as I just did myself. Then we both saw the 2nd impact on live TV. Words cannot describe what I felt at that moment.

After watching the TV for a bit longer, seeing people jumping from the towers and the eventual collapse of each tower, I shut it off and went to pick him up. I called my friend in NY to see if he was OK, and he was. He could see everything from his apartment. We hit the junkyard as planned and a record store just to get our minds off of what was going on, and I picked up the new Slayer album "God Hates Us All". That title... wow... Pretty much what I was thinking that day.

Like many others, I thought at first that it was a freak accident. It wasn't until later on that day that I found out the rest of the details. I remember saying to myself, "This is our Pearl Harbor, and the world will never be the same." being a History major, I was witnessing possibly the most important event to occur in my lifetime unfolding before my eyes.

I still cannot believe it happened...

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/11/13 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

We get that way in times of grief and it always comes at a time of great loss. Pearl Harbor was the last time we had such unity.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/11/13 12:24 p.m.

I was sitting in a 7th grade classroom when I saw it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
9/11/13 12:25 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I was at work, we had a small tv as a monitor on one of our units. The radio said a plane had hit the tower, I immediately thought of that WW2 bomber that hit the Empire State building in the fog way back when. We turned the little tv to the news just in time to see the 2nd plane hit.

That is exactly how it went down here!

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork

Those "benchmark" memory events (knowing where you were) are pretty interesting. I think these are the only ones I specifically remember:

• Challenger Explosion (waking up hearing it on the radio)
  • Harvey Milk being shot (in PE in school)
  • Reagan being shot (in German class in school)
  • 911 (waking up, hearing it on the radio)
oldtin
oldtin UltraDork

I think the sad part is that we responded on script, according to someone else's plan. A bit of a disappointing reality check on our determination to maintain our own freedoms.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/11/13 12:27 p.m.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/11/13 12:28 p.m.

I worked at the mall at the time, selling shoes. I walked in, and the cookie store lady was telling me the twin towers got hit. I thought she was screwing with me. Got to work, everyone was in back gathered around the radio. It still sounded like they weren't taking it too seriously. Only when the first tower collapsed did we realize the magnitude of what was going on. All the malls in the metro were shut down- leading me into a 5 day weekend. We went and filled up all the cars we had (we knew there'd be a run on gas) and spent the next 4 days camped out in front of the TV. Scary stuff.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/11/13 12:30 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:

Not us. Here is to a bunch more years of the government E36 M3ting on our rights in the name of safety.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AUBmbczzRWicZS9mdSUNhEX5K66q7KfxWgyVG4J05Zu6NpbDVoydc22jvPMLoLdF