Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/19/24 8:33 p.m.

70,000 mile Pilot that sat untouched at the airport for almost 10 days.  I start it up and 5-6 problems light up.  AWD, power steering, hill descent, emissions and two other unrelated issues.  Car is missing so I turn it off and upon restart all runs fine.  

All ran fine and I drive home 25 miles - no issues except for my Christmas tree dashboard.  Pop off the negative cable for 5 minutes and upon restart all is good with no dashboard lights. (good battery is 15 months old)

What's this all about?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/24 8:47 p.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/24 9:10 p.m.

Is that 15 months on a battery with a 12 month full replacement warranty and then heavily pro-rated after that?  

I still suspect the battery.  What was the weather like in your absence?  While you were gone did it stop being summer temps for the first time and start being fall-like temp lows for the evenings?  

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/19/24 9:18 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

15 months on whatever Interstate Battery Costco sells - I gotta find the paperwork. 

Sat inside the dark parking garage at Chicago Midway Airport - it did get down to 40dgF earlier in the week then 70dgF today.

Bad battery? Fricking communists....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/19/24 9:47 p.m.

Quality of auto batteries has really gone to sh!t.

Many lights on dash are often a symptom of low voltage.

A good recharge or even a good long drive may just be enough.   Will the car be back to daily driving?  It survived a 10 day sit, it just survived it poorly.  How likely are 10 days of sitting?

In the past 10 days, here in Ohio, I've had to add air to the tires of every car I have.  Deep drops overnight and some first windshield frost of the year has changed the air pressure in all my tires triggering the yellow light on the dash. 

If you're in Chicago, we are generally in the same climate.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/24 11:29 p.m.

My wife's '16 Pilot lit up just about every light on the dash once.  Things I'd never seen before like "brake system malfunction," etc.  I tested the battery, it was good for voltage, but I used a load tester and you could tell it was done.  Replaced the battery and everything returned to normal.  I would test the battery first (voltage and a load test).

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
10/20/24 12:06 a.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Without having the codes, hard to say.

My guess, depending on weather and drive time before being parked. Condensation may have built up in the Intake Manifold. Common symptoms are misfire/rough idle that goes away after an ignition cycle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
96chzsqmE5NACOLIOnGLYpEWSy7hVO8C5AhTEtCMGm0t0zqa32DGMsaBDUU0rO4M