1 2 3 4 5
donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/7/13 6:54 p.m.

mom and dad where from Michigan... but I grew up a military brat..l lived overseas for 12 of my first 16 years.. then I lived in the panhandle of FL (more lower AL than FL honestly)... Michigan is "home" but I use very few of their words... that being said... I use many of those words interchangeably depending on where/when/whom i'm speaking to

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
6/7/13 7:05 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: BTW - is the "honey"/"sweetie" thing a West Virginia thing or an IHOP thing?

It is clearly a WV thing. I just went through orientation at a major hospital in Charleston, WV. They hammered the point home, you can't talk to patients in the sugary/syrupy tone. I can say I don't. It's either ma'am, sir, or by Mr/ Mrs....

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/7/13 8:58 p.m.
ransom wrote: When I was a kid, I grew up saying "soda" and "bag". A friend in middle school browbeat me into saying "pop" at least some of the time, though I never adjusted to "sack". "Coke" as a generic term for soda makes no sense to me. It's actually problematic in terms of conveying meaning, and I therefore abolish the practice starting now

Coke is a generic term when you tell some one your going to the store "for a coke" but when you are at a restaurant it means Coke or the closest approximation of it (ie. Pepsi). What is confusing to me is asking if Pepsi is ok when you order a coke. Same thing with Dr. Pepper when they only have Mr. Pibb there.

Oh and Piggly Wiggly started in Memphis, TN. It was also the first self service grocery store.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
6/7/13 8:59 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
kazoospec wrote: BTW - is the "honey"/"sweetie" thing a West Virginia thing or an IHOP thing?
It is clearly a WV thing. I just went through orientation at a major hospital in Charleston, WV. They hammered the point home, you can't talk to patients in the sugary/syrupy tone. I can say I don't. It's either ma'am, sir, or by Mr/ Mrs....

No its southern in general. Granted the more Appalachian you get the worst it is.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/13 9:14 p.m.

Honey that's normal 'round these parts.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/13 9:59 p.m.

the first time I heard "coke" used as a generic was in Ok. It was one of those moments that almost made my mind need a hard reset

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
6/7/13 10:10 p.m.

Seventh map down should include "You'uns."

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/7/13 10:19 p.m.

FYI: I'll be excommunicated for sharing this, but "honey" and "sweety" are basically a polite southern woman's way of saying "You poor mouth-breathing yankee retard."

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
6/7/13 10:31 p.m.

I don't know where the boundaries are for this phenomenon, but in the Lexington area of Kentucky, seemingly EVERYONE says "flustrated" instead of "frustrated," and "supposably" instead of "supposedly." I think they are completely oblivious to the existence of the correct forms of these words.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/8/13 6:16 a.m.

I think "Supposably" is more of an idiocracy thing than a regional thing.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/8/13 6:59 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: What is confusing to me is asking if Pepsi is ok when you order a coke.

Why is that confusing? Coca-cola is delicious. Pepsi is not - way too sweet and nasty. Regular Pepsi is approximately equal to Diet Coke. Diet Pepsi is undrinkable pig swill.

I get offended if I order a Coke and they bring me a Pepsi without asking if that's acceptable. So much so that if I don't know, I just ask which brand they serve before I order.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/8/13 7:11 a.m.

Here's another one:

What do you call this kind of headwear?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/13 7:43 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Stocking cap.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/13 8:12 a.m.

Ski hat.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
6/8/13 8:16 a.m.

Watch cap

EastCoastMojo
6/8/13 8:18 a.m.

Beanie.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
6/8/13 8:19 a.m.

Duh. That's a toque.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/8/13 8:49 a.m.

Sock hat.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/8/13 8:53 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Also on this one: I never realized that was limited to MS and AL. That's what we always said growing up.

Really? I thought that one had to be a joke. That's the only one on the site that I had never heard before.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
6/8/13 9:18 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: FYI: I'll be excommunicated for sharing this, but "honey" and "sweety" are basically a polite southern woman's way of saying "You poor mouth-breathing yankee retard."

So I pretty much reinforced this by answering "The brown, fizzy kind", didn't I?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/8/13 12:15 p.m.

This one is funny to me, because I never heard the expression growing up a little south of Philly. My wife complained about how everybody used it where she was growing up and how stupid and illiterate it sounded.

Turns out is is pretty much restricted to Minnesota, the Dakotas - and a tiny area within a 30-minute radius of my wife's hometown :

[edit] How are you guys linking to the maps? I am trying to post the map to #51 - Would you say "Are you coming with?" as a full sentence meaning "Are you coming with us?"

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/8/13 1:58 p.m.

I would have liked a map of people who either wash, or worsh their clothes. Of all the little dialect things, that's the one that irritates me- Its just wrong, and there is no possible excuse.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/8/13 2:05 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I would have liked a map of people who either wash, or worsh their clothes. Of all the little dialect things, that's the one that irritates me- Its just wrong, and there is no possible excuse.

I love it. WV has a berkeleying awesome dialect (IMO.) My brother Mark was called "Moork" by most of our relatives up there. A bushel is a "Boo-shul." And yeah, wash is "worsh." I've probably only got a soft spot because my grandma spoke like that, and she is the sweetest berkeleying person who ever lived.

jere
jere Reader
6/8/13 3:36 p.m.

What does everyone else call the grass between the sidewalk and the road that is government property? In Akron it's called the "devil's strip". I planted a small tree in the devil strip and someone from the city came by and pulled it up, and drove off. I guess that's why it's the devil strip as in owned by the devil or something.

Possum or opossum is one my grandfather always asked me which I said. We both grew up in the same city but he said "possum" and I say " opossum". I wonder if that is regional or just a time related one.

For the most part I have heard or used words both ways on the word map aside from sack and the devil beating his wife.

EastCoastMojo
6/8/13 3:41 p.m.
jere wrote: What does everyone else call the grass between the sidewalk and the road that is government property?

That's the tree lawn.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BFULsVR1KeAbY9GNDjAKdKQygDzURMBR9Vt8Q6UjbICOHX29ck9o2hWUz43fiEjj