1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/6/12 10:44 a.m.

Rant

freaking type in anything and it asks for year/make/model of vehicle!

I'm searching for a generic relay and pigtail. Maybe the cost on a can of seafoam.

/Rant

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
4/6/12 10:52 a.m.

Try using it with some other browser besides IE....

Or just asking about a part I already have a number for and of course it isn't going to fit the last vehicle I was looking at. I thought the point of "searching" was to "sell" auto parts, not tell me it doesn't fit. NSSherLock.

I know that crap in a can called Seafoam is approaching $9/can at WelfareMart here....

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
4/6/12 11:19 a.m.

Go in and ask in person and I bet you will get asked the same question from behind the counter..

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon New Reader
4/6/12 11:31 a.m.

Relay part # r3177

Pigtail part # pt5688

Sincerely, A non retarded advance employee :)

failboat
failboat Dork
4/6/12 11:41 a.m.
GrantMLS wrote: Go in and ask in person and I bet you will get asked the same question from behind the counter..

LOL isnt that the truth. I went in once with an exact part number for a spark plug, and the damn guy insisted he couldn't find it without looking up yr/make/model.

I was looking for a single spark plug to use on my honda clone motor on my minibike.

I was smart and had wrote down at least 3 cars that would have used the same plug though. So I gave him one of those. He pulls up a car, but it has a different NGK plug # listed, so he goes and gets that plug. I tell him, look, "The one I want/need is probably in the box right next to where you found this one."

He says, "But it doesnt say that one fits this application so I cant guarantee anything!" I tried to explain that it was for a small engine, not in the car I told him, but what a waste of time that was. I think I really got the old guy confused....He could just could not grasp why I was looking up a plug for a mitsubishi soemthingorother, and I was not going to put it in said mitsubishi. I practically had to plead to him to just go look and see if the other plug is there, and even then he was reluctant to let me buy it because the computer said so.

berkeleying moron.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
4/6/12 11:52 a.m.

Yesterday's Advance Auto Happy Story

So, I stop buy AAuto on the way home and Frank the AA worker there looks up a 1988 Corvette radiator to put the 5.3l LS motor in the Jimmy. He says it is $134.99 and we have it in stock. I said Cool, and reached for my wallet.

He said No, Cool is ordering it online and you can save 15%. I said that I would do that, go home, order it, and pick it up tommorrow. Again he says No, you can use my computer and order it online in this store. I walked out 5 minutes later and saved $20.25.

Thanks Frank.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
4/6/12 12:09 p.m.

I hate their website. But I like their coupons.

I just finished an order with advance. Half I will be picking up tonight and the other half will be shipped to me within the week. With the $40 off $100 coupon it was cheaper than rockauto and I can get some of the stuff I need for working on the cars this weekend.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/6/12 12:14 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: Yesterday's Advance Auto Happy Story So, I stop buy AAuto on the way home and Frank the AA worker there looks up a 1988 Corvette radiator to put the 5.3l LS motor in the Jimmy. He says it is $134.99 and we have it in stock. I said Cool, and reached for my wallet. He said No, Cool is ordering it online and you can save 15%. I said that I would do that, go home, order it, and pick it up tommorrow. Again he says No, you can use my computer and order it online in this store. I walked out 5 minutes later and saved $20.25. Thanks Frank.

Now if i can just get them to honor their coupons on Griffin Radiators when said Griffin Radiators come up as valid items on their website when you shop via the coupon button up top, we'd be golden.

But apparently you can't buy special order things online, and you can't use the web coupon when you call the store, and it doesn't matter anyways because they can't order the Griffin Radiators through the store.

What the berkeley.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon New Reader
4/6/12 1:20 p.m.

Yup. It's stupid. The online discounts are way better than what we can do in the stores. It doesn't make sense, but there isn't much the employees can do about it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/6/12 1:23 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Yup. It's stupid. The online discounts are way better than what we can do in the stores. It doesn't make sense, but there isn't much the employees can do about it.

Can you get me a Griffin 2-26185-X?

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
4/6/12 1:54 p.m.
moxnix wrote: I hate their website. But I like their coupons.

I use this and rock auto for most of my shopping anymore. The things I usually need are stocked, so I get them in a few hours for less cash.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
4/6/12 2:22 p.m.

i been using them more than rock auto lately.. Rock auto's shipping has gotten out of control..

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon New Reader
4/6/12 2:32 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Can you get me a Griffin 2-26185-X?

That part number comes up, but is not available through me at the moment. I've tried 3 other vendors and none show anything available either. Sorry man :(

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/6/12 2:52 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
That part number comes up, but is not available through me at the moment. I've tried 3 other vendors and none show anything available either. Sorry man :(

BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/6/12 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

My local Advance used to have 3 guys like you working there. I went there because I could walk in with a part number and leave with a part without having to go through anything at all. I was on first-name basis with all of them, and they'd let me find what I needed behind the counter if I needed to find something odd, like a hose that's formed the correct way.

None of them work there anymore, and I order everything through the lowest cost vendor.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/12 7:53 p.m.

I love Advance Auto but they constantly advertise oil rebates that are good everywhere except Connecticut...

...inside their Connecticut stores.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/6/12 9:51 p.m.

Spoolpigeon used to work with me, but all that ugly started scaring children and small dogs...

rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
4/7/12 8:17 a.m.
GrantMLS wrote: i been using them more than rock auto lately.. Rock auto's shipping has gotten out of control..

Rock never has what I need in the same warehouse so it S&H times 2 or 3. Ruins the low prices.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon New Reader
4/7/12 8:30 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: Spoolpigeon used to work with me, but all that ugly started scaring children and small dogs...

The customer basis at my new store seems to deal with my horrible face better than the old store.

Derick, it's starting to become a rare breed of person anymore. Honestly, the pay isn't good enough to hire folks that know what the heck they're doing. We just have to train people the best we can (of course each store will be completely different). Occasionally you will find someone with good knowledge and people skills, but it's like a needle in a haystack.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
4/7/12 1:03 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Derick, it's starting to become a rare breed of person anymore. Honestly, the pay isn't good enough to hire folks that know what the heck they're doing. We just have to train people the best we can (of course each store will be completely different). Occasionally you will find someone with good knowledge and people skills, but it's like a needle in a haystack.

You TRAIN people?!?!?! I'm shocked. Everything I had to learn was from saying, "I don't know. Let me find out for you."

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
4/7/12 2:12 p.m.

In reply to rmarkc:

Last order I tried the fuel pump was shipping out of England. It was like 50 shipping advance had it to me in 3 days free..

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
4/7/12 8:49 p.m.

Steve, you need an avatar.

Pic of you in your helmet should suffice.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
4/8/12 4:31 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:

Summit has it for $249.95- maybe you can get the guy at Advance to call Summit for you..

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/8/12 7:06 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Summit has it for $249.95- maybe you can get the guy at Advance to call Summit for you..

Yeah, but Summit rarely has good sales/coupons.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/8/12 7:26 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: If you call and tell them you are an SCCA or NASA member they will sometimes do an instant discount of some small percentage. It ain't much but it is something. I got 10% off a $450 order of AN fittings, hose, muffler, wheel studs etc for just asking last time around.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tE2f20sLXPv01mBZo0RRH8HY4Gvl7fNadVJJ9hb7gmLYQuXd78ii2Zh58Lvsgora