ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/26/09 1:02 p.m.

I don't like the mag, but my sisters long time BF is an editor there.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/03/blender-magazin.html

bad time to be in print.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/26/09 1:19 p.m.

never read it. But I must agree it seems like a bad time for print.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/26/09 1:34 p.m.

Never even heard of it... but I can imagine the print industry is a rough one right now... especially for something as "current" as the music industry...

We car-guys seem to like holding an actual paper rag... more comfortable than sitting on the can with a lap-top... so I'm guessing car mags will be one of the last to go...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/26/09 1:35 p.m.

My M-i-L subscribed to Country Weekly or something like that. A couple weeks ago there was a letter from them saying the mag was no more and any remaining subscription would be transferred over to something else if you asked.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/26/09 1:49 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: My M-i-L subscribed to Country Weekly or something like that. A couple weeks ago there was a letter from them saying the mag was no more and any remaining subscription would be transferred over to something else if you asked.

I had that happen to a start-up biking magazine I subscribed to a number of years ago... after 3 issues, it folded and my subscription was transfered to Velonews...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/26/09 1:49 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: My M-i-L subscribed to Country Weekly or something like that. A couple weeks ago there was a letter from them saying the mag was no more and any remaining subscription would be transferred over to something else if you asked.

I died of boredom just reading the title of the mag...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/26/09 1:51 p.m.

Yeah

Blue Print - MSO mag has died

and

Wonder tIme

My sister worked at both.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
3/26/09 2:01 p.m.

Here's a funny societal comment I got from the original article:

Article said: The title was launched in 2001
and I actually worked at Blender for a long time
TR3only
TR3only New Reader
3/26/09 2:47 p.m.

Our local newspaper is shrinking in page SIZE and number, and the newstand price just went up (again) so it now costs $0.75 a day. I wouldn't pay $0.25 a day for it, and it looks like with the latest round of layoffs, it's only a matter of time before it folds....permanently.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/09 3:06 p.m.
ignorant wrote: Yeah Blue Print - MSO mag has died and Wonder tIme My sister worked at both.

Please, please, please ask her not to get a job at GRM.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/26/09 3:15 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
ignorant wrote: Yeah Blue Print - MSO mag has died and Wonder tIme My sister worked at both.
Please, please, please ask her not to get a job at GRM.

no problem..

She won't leave NYC no matter what. but the market for magazines is saturated. Natural contraction going on.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/26/09 3:42 p.m.

That's a bummer. I subscribed for a year. Decent enough magazine. I still subscribe to Spin, though--much snootier.

I think magazines will come back. There's still something to be said for reading a magazine on the couch on a Sunday. Much more tactile than a laptop, IMHO.

Actually, I hate reading magazines online--I think I've read one Winding Road in the past year and a half.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/26/09 6:30 p.m.

I subscribed to "european car" as a digital issue...it was about half price, and I think it was worth it. I wouldn't have paid full price for the subscription, but its okay at 6 bucks for a year...

I don't have a problem with digital issues...but for certain magazines, the tactility of it is important...evo for example wouldn't be the same in digital. GRM for another example.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dV1Fw1t4PaJ64a4jRXK6LrBrfYCOwHaZP80YVq0YKFI7vFECVXtKk2xzkffsAKE6