1 2
RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
5/12/24 10:45 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Strong suggestion.... if you like the tractor and the rest of it is still serviceable, consider a re-power.

Lawn equipment like this is usually configured for off-the-shelf engine options, and the rest of the tractor is probably all configured to accept any one of a dozen engines from Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh, Honda, Subaru/Robin, etc.  Honestly, you might be able to find a Predator sitting on the shelf at HF that would work.  Worst case, you find an old Cub Cadet with a blown hydrostat and you can probably scavenge the Briggs out of it for next to nothing.

I've had some engine trouble on my riding mower and have swapped in the still working, different brand motor off the broken mower that came with the property while I fixed it. They're very much plug and play within a certain power level. Measure the shaft size and bolt pattern and go from there. Harbor Freight should have cheap options.

I have a hard time seeing how fuel getting into the crankcase is going to be a carburetor issue. I'd keep a close eye on that one.

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar Reader
5/12/24 1:27 p.m.

Is it possible the float is stuck down, or the needle/seat is stuck open allowing fuel to overflow into the carb throat and then into the open cylinder?  It would also have to bypass the rings to get into the crankcase, but a slow leak might allow this.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
5/12/24 1:30 p.m.

The fuel shutoff is the problem.  If it is an old carb without a solenoid in it the needle valve is shot.  Fuel overflows the bowl and then into the intake and then crankcase.  The newer carbs with some sort of solenoid are crap, never had one work.  I used to put a shutoff on the fuel line and run the motor dry.  If I needed a tractor now I would convert it to propane.  But being retired and only having 3/4 acre I went with an electric mower and get some exercise.

octavious
octavious Dork
5/12/24 6:07 p.m.

I don't need a rider for cutting grass, but I do have a buddy getting ride of a Cub Cadet LT1045. My son wants to get it and turn it into a racing mower. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or if it can be done?

YouTube research looks like taking the deck off and swapping the pulleys turns it into a speed demon. But I've never done it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/15/24 8:25 a.m.
porschenut said:

The fuel shutoff is the problem.  If it is an old carb without a solenoid in it the needle valve is shot.  Fuel overflows the bowl and then into the intake and then crankcase.  The newer carbs with some sort of solenoid are crap, never had one work.  I used to put a shutoff on the fuel line and run the motor dry.  If I needed a tractor now I would convert it to propane.  But being retired and only having 3/4 acre I went with an electric mower and get some exercise.

This one has the carb solenoid AND a fuel shut-off. I am guessing the shut-off valve was left open by some idiot (that would be me) and that's exactly what happened. There was definitely less fuel in the tank than when I left it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rzNWiGPMGeAni7gqwntzXwfuITQF5zHLXuacLEjQnTVF0RVXIebT7YaOzNx9pDpV