1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/23/13 11:09 p.m.

http://pix11.com/2013/01/23/airline-asks-man-to-remove-threatening-princess-bride-shirt/#ixzz2Ir9Rqhhv

Apparently not everyone has watched the classic film “The Princess Bride,” including several Qantas airlines passengers who were unsettled on a recent flight by a man’s Inigo Montoya t-shirt.

Wynand Mullins was settling into a flight from Australia to New Zealand when a flight attendant told him his shirt had some of the other passengers worried, and asked him to remove it, according to New Zealand’s Stuff Magazine.

“Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die,” was the terrifying quote — one of the most famous lines from the movie. Incidentally, it would likely please the writer to know that 25 years later, the line is still packing such a punch.

“I was wondering where they would find a shirt for me, being on a plane and all,” Mullins told the National Business Review online. “The thought did cross my mind that it would either be a blanket or the pilot’s jacket.”

Alas, the flight personnel thought better of the request and did not return to make sure he did. Quantas didn’t have any official record of the incident because it was handled in the air, according to Stuff.

“I thought it was all a bit silly,” Mullins told New Zealand’s Stuff Magazine. “The person next to me was laughing, because they knew the movie.”

Read more: http://pix11.com/2013/01/23/airline-asks-man-to-remove-threatening-princess-bride-shirt/#ixzz2Irn3GKaA

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
1/24/13 12:33 a.m.

I would have taken off the shirt. Then refused to cover up. They'd second guess their judgement when they begin to fear my moobs more than the shirt.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
1/24/13 12:41 a.m.

If that were me, the whole plane would be blinded by horrifying pasty whiteness.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/13 12:44 a.m.

They should have polled the passengers.

I would like to believe that if the intercom said "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya", some significant proportion of any planeful of people would have answered "You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/24/13 6:43 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: If that were me, the whole plane would be blinded by horrifying pasty whiteness.

Same here.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/24/13 6:51 a.m.

Following the logic here for a moment... wearing a t-shirt with the word "die" makes you a threat and removing it disarms the situation by removing the means with which you may bring harm to others. Forgetting that reads like the plot to a wiley E. coyote skit.... I will test this theory by wearing pants with the lyrics to Last Caress on them. Either way, I win.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/24/13 6:52 a.m.

I saw this earlier. Inconceivable!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/24/13 6:56 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I saw this earlier. Inconceivable!

I do no think that word means what you think it means.

[runs off to search for Rodents of Unusual Size......capybaras fear me]

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/13 7:03 a.m.

Well at least the Aussies aren't as big Bob Costases as the Brits:

http://weinterrupt.com/2010/12/man-barred-from-flight-for-transformers-shirt/

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/24/13 7:15 a.m.

Stewardess: Take off that shirt
Passenger: What shirt?
Stewardess to large security guy: tear his arms off...
Passenger: Oh...you mean this...shirt?

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/24/13 8:06 a.m.
ransom wrote: They should have polled the passengers. I would like to believe that if the intercom said "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya", some significant proportion of any planeful of people would have answered "You killed my father. Prepare to die."

My wife uses the quote as her voicemail message. Some people stil ldon't get it.

I sometimes use it on a nametage when at a convention/party that requires those stick on "hello, my name is" tags.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
1/24/13 8:13 a.m.

It's only a matter of time before someone wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words "Die Fledermaus" is led away in shackles for making people feel "threatened".

Ignorance reigns supreme.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/13 8:30 a.m.

I have that shirt! I get comments from total strangers when I wear it because they think its hilarious. Never been asked to get off of a plane, though.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9f70/?srp=1

Gotta admit, it's a pretty brilliant idea.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/13 8:38 a.m.

^ Wow I expected the words to be a lot bigger.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/24/13 9:59 a.m.

alex
alex UltraDork
1/24/13 10:15 a.m.

Fun fact: Wallace Shawn, who played Vizzini the Sicilian, is a lauded playwright, holds a degree in history from Harvard and studied at Oxford with the intent to go into foreign diplomacy. His father, William Shawn was the long-time editor of the New Yorker.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/24/13 10:23 a.m.

Would have been funnier if he had removed the shirt, only to have the words written on his chest in sharpie.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/13 12:11 p.m.
ransom wrote: They should have polled the passengers. I would like to believe that if the intercom said "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya", some significant proportion of any planeful of people would have answered "You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Even funnier if the intercom had said in reply, "stop saying that!"

Now I want to watch Princess Bride, if only I had a Holocaust Cloak...

BTW, two things to remember:

Never get into a land war in Asia and never go against an Australian when beer is on the line! Its one of the classic blunders!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/24/13 12:31 p.m.

The problem with this world is people seem to think they have a right not to be offended.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/24/13 12:36 p.m.

Is this T-shirt threatening? If not, I'll probably still buy it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/13 3:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: It's only a matter of time before someone wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words "Die Fledermaus" is led away in shackles for making people feel "threatened". Ignorance reigns supreme.

I had to look it up... it would be worth making the shirt just to wear it

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/24/13 3:25 p.m.

Do you think they allow Ice Cube to fly now that he's in kiddie movies even though he had a song called 'berkeley the Police'?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/13 3:29 p.m.
RossD wrote: Do you think they allow Ice Cube to fly now that he's in kiddie movies even though he had a song called 'berkeley the Police'?

Sure as long as his shirt isn't offensive.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
1/24/13 4:10 p.m.

"Have fun storming the castle, boys!"

Man I love that movie . . .

coolusername
coolusername Reader
1/24/13 4:49 p.m.

i had some tee shirts made up, the front says "CALL THE LAW" on the back it says "OAK TREE YOUR IN MY WAY" not quite as fun as I had invisioned but what he11.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
adNQrPwfjtVWlh1YZkhVMIcumrODabclUmf5aPR5fnaewIyuUh5qff2AQfNMa4py