1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
4/22/13 7:10 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: 1 word... Texas.

I'll see your Texas and raise you Montana.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/13 7:10 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: There is one in my town. Only one gravel road. Flipping ct.

You must be near Hartford or New Haven. The Litchfield hills are loaded with dirt roads and I'm pretty sure that the Northeast corner is similar.

When I bought my DRZ last year, I stop at a bunch of town halls and grabbed local maps. Then all you have to do is fill in the dotted lines. I rode hundreds of miles on dirt last year and I don't think I even left the state.

bluej
bluej Dork
4/22/13 7:14 p.m.

Cue Brooks&Dunn..

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/13 8:28 p.m.

Read in the news today that there are 17 miles of state owned dirt roads in Lexington County, SC. Not county roads, dirt state roads in one of the counties that are adjacent to the state capitol of one of the original 13 colonies...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/13 8:42 p.m.

Starksboro, Vermont. .9 miles of paved road. That's right, less than a mile. And no traffic lights, not even a blinking red. 1 mile to my house up hill at a thousand feet all dirt and gravel.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/22/13 9:01 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Starksboro, Vermont. .9 miles of paved road. That's right, less than a mile. And no traffic lights, not even a blinking red. 1 mile to my house up hill at a thousand feet all dirt and gravel.

My hometown in KY is the county seat, holds the county high school, & county courthouse. There is 1 stop light.

jere
jere Reader
4/22/13 9:33 p.m.

imnaha oregon around the national forestry areas, lots of mountains, gravel, cows and water crossings.

Nobel, ontario outside of the town there are a few that a subaru would be ascared of, mix of what was leftover from blastings.

Ocala National forest, FL has quite a few nice access roads, sandy clay.

Akron not so much, loads of rough asphalt tho

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
4/22/13 11:37 p.m.

Tons of them out this way

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/13 6:59 a.m.

I think Nevada still has more dirt than paved roads, but a fair amount of those in the back country require a proper 4x4.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/23/13 7:38 a.m.

Dirt roads? Where we're going we don't need any.... dirt roads...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
4/23/13 8:37 a.m.

On the site www.avdrider.com, I think there is a route from coast to coast that is all public dirt road.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
4/23/13 10:30 a.m.

None that I know of here, and I live in the South.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
4/23/13 11:39 a.m.

lots of gravel roads around here. sometimes I will hit a few of them on the way to or from work if I want to feel like a rally driver. but they can be avoided by using more "main" roads.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/23/13 11:56 a.m.

So anyone know of any around southern OH?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
4/24/13 7:03 p.m.

I think I read that there were only 14 miles of unpaved highway left in Ohio, there is none in my county.

I lived in southern Iowa; northern Missouri for some years growing up and there were far more unpaved roads than paved. My dads family home is on a dirt level C road with no maintenance and that only 60 miles from Des Moines. The old Power Wagon was a blast out there!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/13 7:11 p.m.

Yep, and if you're from coastal SC, a lot of them look like this.

And every once in a great while, they look like this.

I do love a good dirt road.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
4/25/13 5:44 a.m.

I even went as far to look up local off-road forums to see if there was any roads on Long Island. I belive the way they phrased it was "There is no legal way to drive off pavement" other than a few licensed parks. Bummer.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/25/13 7:16 a.m.

There are dirt city streets in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Lots of dirt roads in the surrounding countryside.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/25/13 8:32 a.m.

There are some fine 4X4 trails in the abandoned areas of Flint.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
4/25/13 1:54 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I think there is a route from coast to coast that is all public dirt road.

The trans-america trail. It is public, technically. Calling much of it a dirt road would be a stretch. Some day, I'd like to try it, with either the XL500, or the CD175.

We've a few dirt roads around here. Generally well groomed and boring. Though there are a few that have some interesting brief stretches.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/25/13 2:02 p.m.

Bing will show paved vs unpaved by color. Dirt is a light tan.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
enOFeEkla9pnbeTT2rPpN1UvlIE6kbWMQ4GEukgsDZh6IuDSsVL4viR4YeyAfA83