WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/18/21 12:51 p.m.

Well, thanks to your suggestions, it looks like I'm close to doing something, largely because of my SCORE mentor's introduction, not even the original idea I was asking about!

I'm supposed to get the offer/contract tomorrow to review, but I was wondering if any of you GRMers are lawyer-type people who could look over a business contract for me?  Unfortunately, it's not directly related to motorsports at all, but they can't all be winners :)

I'd rather give money to someone in network, ya know?

If not, any recommendations on how to find one?

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
8/18/21 1:01 p.m.

Maybe. I'll ask my wife is her firm does this. I think they have a branch in you area.

WonkoTheSane
8/18/21 1:15 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

Maybe. I'll ask my wife is her firm does this. I think they have a branch in you area.

Thanks!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/21 2:23 p.m.

You'll want someone in Connecticut. Most things are the same everywhere but there can always be a few nuances that are specific to a municipality. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/18/21 3:45 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

You'll want someone in Connecticut. Most things are the same everywhere but there can always be a few nuances that are specific to a municipality. 

Agreed 100%.  Contract overview can be reviewed by an attorney in any locale but a CT bar member is key to details specific to your location that can be expensive and painful later on.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/24 9:42 a.m.

If you strike out I can refer you to my lawyer that I use for just this purpose.  He is in MA.  I don't know if he is also registered in CT.  Just a regular guy who happens to be a Lawer.  

WonkoTheSane
5/7/24 6:27 p.m.
dean1484 said:

If you strike out I can refer you to my lawyer that I use for just this purpose.  He is in MA.  I don't know if he is also registered in CT.  Just a regular guy who happens to be a Lawer.  

Thanks for the offer, Dean, but I've found a good one in the 3 years since I posted this.   Good guy, spec e30 racer, etc. 

If anyone in CT is in need of a lawyer, I'd be happy to refer you :)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/24 10:10 p.m.

So did you end up buying it? If so, do tell!

WonkoTheSane
5/7/24 10:32 p.m.
dyintorace said:

So did you end up buying it? If so, do tell!

No, unfortunately that original deal didn't pan out..  it was a slightly more complicated situation than I outlined, owned evenly by 3 people.  The original goal was I was going to get a loan big enough to buy out 1/3rd with the plan & contact in place to give the other two a 5 year window to retire, but then a larger firm came along and made them an offer that they would have been stupid to refuse.

I started my own company doing contact CNC programming, training, machining, and process engineering and that's been going pretty good.  I'm now well into my third year of that, and I should equal or exceed my corporate job pay this year if it keeps going on this vector.

The tips I learned in the original thread really made it a lot easier to navigate, especially the SCORE mentor thing, which got me hooked up with the SBA's local chapter and may end up with me doing some government contract manufacturing via the SBA's APEX accelerator. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/24 9:30 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

While not the original plan, it sounds like this one is working out very well. Congratulations on the success!

WonkoTheSane
5/8/24 12:55 p.m.
dyintorace said:

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

While not the original plan, it sounds like this one is working out very well. Congratulations on the success!

Yessir, this as worked out well.  Thanks!

That's cool, glad it is working out for you!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UQXywJCy7z9yXFoTpRQ0EZqki1fVgZqp32kegICAlpbMkVFYUt8SlBN4LpE1Om8m