slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/23/24 9:52 a.m.

I'm going a different route this year with heating my detached garage office. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-8KW-Heater-Parking-Adjustment/dp/B0CFQNR4SP?th=1

So far I've mounted it to the wall near my window A/C unit. I plan on running the exhaust thru the wall using this:

https://www.amazon.com/VTurboWay-Stainless-Straight-Exhaust-Hardware/dp/B09H2RY6BT

And I bought a 12v power supply that I'm going to mount on the wall: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWG6YT8

The plan is to mount the diesel fuel tank on the outside of my office (but still inside the garage) so I can fuel it without worrying about diesel smelling up my office space. That's the main reason why I didn't buy the all-in-one unit, as I didn't want the fuel tank inside my office.

Seems like these things are REALLY popular across the hobbyist world. Lots of them in use for DIY campers, portable camping heaters, and workshops. I'm starting with a simple setup but I'll probaby modify things as time goes on. I already have a big jerry can I'm eying as a replacement fuel tank that I only need to fill every few weeks. We'll see how loud the fuel pump is before I try the silencing tricks I've seen online.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/23/24 10:13 a.m.

I've got one in my 25 x 25 shop and it works well.

You'll want a battery as well because the startup draw is more than most 12V power supplies can handle.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/24 10:51 a.m.

I work for a company that has about 12 service trucks (think UPS/fedex trucks) that run around a terminal at the port. Up until now the guys have all been running 480v electric heaters in their trucks because we have 480v hookups all over the place. We tested one of these type of units in a truck last year and the guy loves it. It's way quieter than the electric setup and provides way more heat. I bought a few of them and will be outfitting all the rigs with them. They're great. I can't say I've ever thought about hooking up in a house though? If you also have a window rattler going why not bite the bullet and throw a mini split in?

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/24 11:09 a.m.

I use one on my porch. It works very well and is fairly efficient. I bought an all-in-one for $120 and mounted a $26 12V 30 amp power supply to the side so no battery is required. 

The pictures are links to the South America River company. 

Power Supply:

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
10/23/24 12:08 p.m.
iansane said:

If you also have a window rattler going why not bite the bullet and throw a mini split in?

Money. I don't have any.

I was all about doing a mini split until I looked into the heat portion. I'd have to leave the heat running constantly (because heat pump), which seems silly when I'm only in here on week days. Last time I tried heating my office with electric heaters my power bill felt the heat too. This seemed like an efficient solution for the few months of the year I need it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eWffOiQVQvVAGoBpZk2XfFdVq7pMCrzLqrSVs2bJFHYgiL9mpUuXdbV2Zl66gEAC