1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/17 11:21 a.m.
Huckleberry said:

I can't post any examples here, obviously, but there was some "still" work from my time as a stunt cock for the adult film industry.

It's just a matter of time before legendary Fluffers get the recognition that you deserve.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
10/5/17 11:22 a.m.

Got a face for radio and a voice for print. Ive hired them working in marketing though. As a fun thing I'd think it would be interesting. Making a living at it seems tough

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/5/17 12:00 p.m.

Trust me guys, I'm not considering a career change.  Just looking to make a little on the side with my mug.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
10/5/17 12:59 p.m.
chandler said:

I've always wondered how proud the parents of the actor/actress in the herpes commercials are. Look; that's my daughter on tv, the one with STDs!

Also, in the same vein, do people who have AIDS get mad when actors who don't have AIDS/HIV portray an AIDS patient in an ad? Like how Native Americans get mad when they are portrayed by non-Native Americans in movies.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
10/5/17 1:32 p.m.

Yes. Getting work is difficult, the actual work is (most often) incredibly easy and can pay well but don't quit your day job. Get as many shots done in as many outfits, long hair, short hair, styles, sports equiptment, poses ect. The more the better. with modern equiptment it is easier than ever to get the picture just right. all you need is a friend and a phone.

A legit agency won't care who took the photos (provided they are good quality pictures) they will just want as much varietey as possible to show prospective clients. For instance, If you have a picture or pictures in a fire suit and helmet and no one else has one in their portfolio, you probably will be selected if that is what the client is looking for .

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/5/17 4:30 p.m.

I would expect it to be like that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond when Robert is told that he has the "look" but he'll need a photo portfolio. Luckily they have their own photographer who can do it for only $1000. Go back the next day, everybody is gone.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/5/17 4:32 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

You need to protect your assets with a little SPF!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/5/17 5:02 p.m.

How has this thread gotten this far without this

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/17 5:13 p.m.
NickD said:
chandler said:

I've always wondered how proud the parents of the actor/actress in the herpes commercials are. Look; that's my daughter on tv, the one with STDs!

Also, in the same vein, do people who have AIDS get mad when actors who don't have AIDS/HIV portray an AIDS patient in an ad? Like how Native Americans get mad when they are portrayed by non-Native Americans in movies.

I don't know if THEY get mad, but I do.  I keep thinking with all the "real" people out there who could do it, why don't they hire them?

I got an audition for a voice-over for a national restaurant chain for their summer menu specials with Caribbean themes.  I not really allowed to tell you what the restaurant name was, but it rhymes with Led Robster.  They wanted genuine-sounding Jamaican accents and even referred to the character in Meet Joe Black who was an authentic Jamaican woman.  They wanted REAL Jamaican.  So I studied up, watched that scene a few dozen times, and listened to some audio accent training sessions.  I nailed it.  My audition was perfect.  I was even complimented by two actual Jamaican guys.  I didn't get the job, and neither did any of the other real Jamaicans there.  The guy that got it was awful.  He was worse than Sebastian from Little Mermaid.  He sounded like Geofrey Holder - the 7up "uncola" guy from the 80s.  I wasn't angry that I didn't get it, I was angry that they asked for authentic, none of the real Jamaicans got it, and the guy that did get it sucked.   Why ask for real when you're not using it?

Maybe all the Jamaican guys sucked at VOs, but at least give it to someone who sounds like what you're asking for.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/17 7:18 p.m.

I’m Mr. Welding Gloves in the Harbor Freight mailers from 1997 to 2005’ish.

Willis
Willis New Reader
10/5/17 7:41 p.m.
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/17 7:47 p.m.

Model no, but I danced from ages 22-26 in a mostly straight club. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/5/17 7:49 p.m.

Yes. And I do my little turn on the catwalk.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/39YUXIKrOFk

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/17 11:58 a.m.

For two summers in college, I interned at a local company that makes party decorations. My usual duties mostly involved machining parts for and assembling new production equipment, however, being the strapping young lad that I was (am cheeky), one day I got dragged up to the art department to model some product. Not sure if any of my pics are still floating around out there, but I wish I would have kept a copy of the catalog. Made an interesting anecdote during job interviews at least.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/6/17 12:16 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Model no, but I danced from ages 22-26 in a mostly straight club. 

Seriously here as well. Hurts when you get older and the soccor moms go away and you get old ladies throwing quarters at you and you still dance. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/17 12:33 p.m.
curtis73 said:
NickD said:
chandler said:

I don't know if THEY get mad, but I do.  I keep thinking with all the "real" people out there who could do it, why don't they hire them?

I got an audition for a voice-over for a national restaurant chain for their summer menu specials with Caribbean themes.  I not really allowed to tell you what the restaurant name was, but it rhymes with Led Robster.  They wanted genuine-sounding Jamaican accents and even referred to the character in Meet Joe Black who was an authentic Jamaican woman.  They wanted REAL Jamaican.  So I studied up, watched that scene a few dozen times, and listened to some audio accent training sessions.  I nailed it.  My audition was perfect.  I was even complimented by two actual Jamaican guys.  I didn't get the job, and neither did any of the other real Jamaicans there.  The guy that got it was awful.  He was worse than Sebastian from Little Mermaid.  He sounded like Geofrey Holder - the 7up "uncola" guy from the 80s.  I wasn't angry that I didn't get it, I was angry that they asked for authentic, none of the real Jamaicans got it, and the guy that did get it sucked.   Why ask for real when you're not using it?

Maybe all the Jamaican guys sucked at VOs, but at least give it to someone who sounds like what you're asking for.

I always wonder, how goddamn hard is it to find an actual Jamaican for these roles. If there isn't one nearby, there's a clearly labelled island full of them, and most will fly economy no problem. "Jafakeans" are EVERYWHERE in the media, while real Jamaicans are extremely rare. You often even see "Jafakeans" in Hollywood movies filmed in Jamaica! My best guess is that maybe they think a real Jamaican accent is too hard to understand vs. horrible imitations of it, so they'd rather have you cringe through the ad but have no trouble understanding what it's saying.

You must be an elite voice actor to fake the accent to the point that real Jamaicans said it was good, kudos.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
10/6/17 12:50 p.m.

I dabble.  wink

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/6/17 1:11 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I have been modeling professionally for about 3 years now. There are many elements of the job I enjoy, but the stress and strain of it all can fatigue you sometimes. wink

Engineering humor...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/6/17 2:09 p.m.

Not me, but when he was a kid, my youngest brother did enough of it thae he retained me as his driver. 10% of any gig he landed.

He probably made 20k over the years but spent ( parents did) 25 k doing it when all factored in. You spend a lot of time doing to "Cattle Calls". You need an agent. If you are not in the union you pay fees. Yeah, you gotta pay for some expensive photos, but not as expensive as some of the scammers charge who promise to hook you up.

Residuals are a neat thing...money for nothing when you least expect it. Who the hell keeps track of the accounting I have no idea? He had money leaking in for at least five years for a commercial about a Phillips widget that combed and cut your hair at the same time. I was incredibly jelous and he did not share the residual $$

He was in the Movie Equs as an extra and never got to see it because it was R rated.

You can actually make a living ( not a great one)  as an extra if you live in a city where they shoot a lot of movies. All a case of getting a foot in the door and knowing who to know.

He quit acting and modeling when he discovered the stock market at about age 13. Guess which one of us is well-to-do?

pheller
pheller PowerDork
10/6/17 5:02 p.m.

Curtis, you are hilarious. 

curtis73
10/7/17 12:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
curtis73 said:
NickD said:
chandler said:

I always wonder, how goddamn hard is it to find an actual Jamaican for these roles. If there isn't one nearby, there's a clearly labelled island full of them, and most will fly economy no problem. "Jafakeans" are EVERYWHERE in the media, while real Jamaicans are extremely rare. You often even see "Jafakeans" in Hollywood movies filmed in Jamaica! My best guess is that maybe they think a real Jamaican accent is too hard to understand vs. horrible imitations of it, so they'd rather have you cringe through the ad but have no trouble understanding what it's saying.

You must be an elite voice actor to fake the accent to the point that real Jamaicans said it was good, kudos.

I know, right?  This was in L.A. and probably 20 real Jamaicans turned out for the audition.

The JaFakeAn accent is the new transatlantic of the character voice.

Accents were always a very strong talent for me.  I'm a clasically-trained vocalist and spent 13 years training in dictions of all kinds of languages.  I'm that guy who can stop you in a store and correctly identify the town you came from in Georgia... Regardless if its Atlanta or Tbilisi.  One of my senior theses was about how brains process accents because it always amazed me that my Aunt from Pittsburgh never knew she had an accent, nor could she tell she was saying something different from every one else who grew up two hours east of her.  It made me figure that something about the language centers of the brain is either good at it or not good at it.

I once had a customer come into Home Depot and ask where the washroom was.  Dead giveaway he was Canadian, but I talked with him and guessed that he was from somewhere north and west of Guelph because of how he said "appliances" and "timber frame".  He was from Kitchener, which is about 45 klicks west of Guelph.  I was off by a half hour.

So, I wouldn't say "elite," but I would say its a nice little tool to have in my toolbox.

... and if I stop posting for a while its because the CIA has been monitoring this post.  They might need me to translate one of the Caighdeán dialects

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/7/17 6:57 p.m.

In reply to curtis73 :

Impressive. I once met someone here in Columbus who correctly placed my accent as coming from Sacramento.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/8/17 6:45 a.m.
curtis73 said:
GameboyRMH said:
curtis73 said:
NickD said:
chandler said:

I know, right?  This was in L.A. and probably 20 real Jamaicans turned out for the audition.

The JaFakeAn accent is the new transatlantic of the character voice.

Accents were always a very strong talent for me.  I'm a clasically-trained vocalist and spent 13 years training in dictions of all kinds of languages.  I'm that guy who can stop you in a store and correctly identify the town you came from in Georgia... Regardless if its Atlanta or Tbilisi.  One of my senior theses was about how brains process accents because it always amazed me that my Aunt from Pittsburgh never knew she had an accent, nor could she tell she was saying something different from every one else who grew up two hours east of her.  It made me figure that something about the language centers of the brain is either good at it or not good at it.

I once had a customer come into Home Depot and ask where the washroom was.  Dead giveaway he was Canadian, but I talked with him and guessed that he was from somewhere north and west of Guelph because of how he said "appliances" and "timber frame".  He was from Kitchener, which is about 45 klicks west of Guelph.  I was off by a half hour.

So, I wouldn't say "elite," but I would say its a nice little tool to have in my toolbox.

... and if I stop posting for a while its because the CIA has been monitoring this post.  They might need me to translate one of the Caighdeán dialects

As a frenchpuertoricancatholicjewfromnigeriaborninarizona, I would love to put your talents to the test. 

The wife claims that my speech changes when I cross a border. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/17 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Willis :

I loved those guys!

curtis73
10/8/17 10:36 a.m.

As a frenchpuertoricancatholicjewfromnigeriaborninarizona, I would love to put your talents to the test. 

The wife claims that my speech changes when I cross a border. 

I don't even need to hear you speak.  I can tell you were born in Arizona of French, Puerto Rican, and Nigerian descent, and you celebrate Sukkah by eating Menudo and Posole

How did I do?

laugh

I constantly change accents to blend in.  I spent many years of my life living in an RV and traveling.  I would stay in a place long enough to feel like a local (or until I got tired of it).  It took me about 1 week in New Orleans to get a Ponchartrain accent.  Just last night I helped a friend with a lighting load-out for an event.  Most of the crew was out of a Baltimore union house and I caught myself using "hon" when talking to people after spending 45 minutes in a van with Harbor folk.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O94DTC83EHDVoNgKBifFHVjhRBIATyMvKa7WGCpyadVsYCDsJ7kmCwLKROlGtlhk