1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/28/10 4:01 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Sailboating is wonderfully romantic in the movies, on the water, it's much less so. Some years ago I raced in the Catalina fleet. There's no breeze when you're underway, so you bake. It's slow going, even when it's fast. And if it's fast, it's only in the direction you don't want to go. It's very involving to sail, and not at all relaxing.

That's what I like about it. I had a great time racing in college. Racing a sail boat is a lot like racing a momentum car. You really need to work hard to make it go right, but if you do, it rewards you. You really feel like you've accomplished something if you're able to hold good speed.

Not relaxing, but a lot of fun.

The ones we sailed were essentially the same, but without the trapeze. So I had to hook my feet in a sling, and hang my butt over the edge to balance it.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
7/28/10 8:38 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Froggy II would be an excellent start. Make no mistake, a 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat with a 7-10 hp outboard on the back will take the three of you out on the water very easily. They are a lot more weight and material capable than many people think. An excellent starting point and backup boat. Wonderful for those spur of the moment trips onto the water. All the more so if you like exploring smaller water ways. Sailboating is wonderfully romantic in the movies, on the water, it's much less so. Some years ago I raced in the Catalina fleet. There's no breeze when you're underway, so you bake. It's slow going, even when it's fast. And if it's fast, it's only in the direction you don't want to go. It's very involving to sail, and not at all relaxing.

I like mine.. also i was weight limited due to my heavy duty car being a second gen caravan lol not exactly a towing monster... Now to find a bigger motor for the boat..

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/28/10 9:05 p.m.

Another vote for the best boat is a friend's boat!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/28/10 9:23 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I'm partial to Dutch Barges. http://www.bowcrest.com/ http://bourgogne-marine.com/

Don't you have to constantly worry about people with swords coming onboard to cut your head off and yell something about "there can be only one"?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
7/28/10 9:37 p.m.

I've heard more than once that the 2 happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys a boat & the day he sells it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/28/10 9:48 p.m.

Most of my boating has been in a kayak, but I also have a 10' alluminum with a few rivet leaks that I want to patch up and put a small outboard onto. That would be great on the river.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/28/10 11:31 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Most of my boating has been in a kayak, but I also have a 10' alluminum with a few rivet leaks that I want to patch up and put a small outboard onto. That would be great on the river.

Choose your river carefully:

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Dork
7/29/10 12:25 a.m.

Whitewater rafting is fun. Of course I got booted when the thing high-sided, along with the guide who seemed to be unaware that he was floating away (some of them seemed a little "earthy") Still great fun, just don't dangle your legs down or you could hook a rock and get caught under.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/29/10 1:28 a.m.

My father is approaching retirement and is looking for a hobby to keep himself busy. I have not been able to talk him into becoming an autocrosser but he was successful in convincing me to take a couple of dingy sailing classes with him last summer. It was a lot of fun.

This summer we are taking the keelboat class. So we can learn how to handle this beast.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/29/10 1:34 a.m.

Honsetly, as others have said, avoid a used Bayliner product at all cost. They are the lowest of the low quality boats. You could do better for the same money.
Lowball the E36 M3 out of anyone selling any used boat.

For me, big sailboat racing on other people's boats. For the past 4 years I have had the luxury of racing on all 4 coasts each year.
Actually, this year has been an off year for racing but in 2006 there were only 2 weekend between Memorial Day and Labor Day that were not dedicated to full weekend 2 and 3 days of sailboat racing.
Oh, did I mention that my marrage came frighteningly close to ending in Nov 2006?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/29/10 1:37 a.m.

Capri 22. Fun, safe boat. Well made. Good value.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Dork
7/29/10 2:30 a.m.

Build your own! There are programs in various places that will teach you how to build one and then let you take it home. One in Beaufort (Bow-fert, not Byoo-fort) NC will do it the old fashioned way or in modern fiberglass.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
7/29/10 8:14 a.m.

No. I hate boats. HTH!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/29/10 8:53 a.m.
cwh wrote: Crew on big sail boats is like crew on an independant race car. Miserable hard work, no pay, great times. Sailboats feed you better.

True, true but unlike cars, with the sailboat racing you too are on the race course with the vehicle not waiting at the pits.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/29/10 10:01 a.m.

My advice would be to get a small fiberglass, or aluminum boat 13-15 ft. Use a 15hp or so outboard and steer with the tiller. Keep it as simple as possible and see if you actually use the boat as much as you thought you would. A small boat doesn't require much maintenance, and you can get a feel for the water and how much you enjoy being out there. (just make sure to hose off the boat and flush the engine after each use---especially in salt water) A bimini top is a good thing as it will keep you from baking in the sun. A boat this size would have no problem taking on 4 people and their gear.

Also, lock up your outboard motor. The small motors are theft bait in a bad way. (ask me how I know) They are also expensive to replace. (almost worth as much as the boat)

If you are looking at a fix-er-upper check out www.fpmarine.com for parts. It's my brother's company, so make sure to ask for the GRM discount!

Is a canoe inappropriate in a thread about boats?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/29/10 10:10 a.m.

Oldsaw, I was thinking more of the susquahanna river. Wide, flat, relatively shallow.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/29/10 10:42 a.m.

Ah blotta blitta blotta blitta...

Favorite Movie: Sail Boater - Ghandi, Power Boater - Debbie Does Dallas

Favorite Birth Control Method: Sail Boater - Abstinence, Power Boater - Gobble-do-gee!

Last Book Read: Sail Boater - I'm Okay You're Okay, Power Boater - The Kamasutra!

Bow Decoration: Sail Boater - An anchor, Power Boater - A bikini babe!

Last birthday gift from their wife: Sail Boater - A subscription to "Time", Power Boater - menage a trois...!

Favorite Drink: Sail Boater - White wine, Power Boater - Jack Danials!

Favorite Politician: Sail Boater - Ted Kennedy, Power Boater - Eisenhower!

Favorite Car: Sail Boater - Volvo, Power Boater - LIncoln Continental

Favorite Snack: Sail Boater - Wheat thins, Power Boater - the bearded clam!

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
7/29/10 1:22 p.m.

Here's the GRM boating solution. One summer in college a roommate and I built a plywood boat from plans off of this page. We used a small trolling motor from a local sporting good store and some second hand oars. Worked well enough in the coverted rock quarry lake... not sure I'd put it in a real lake.

Photo from the above site:

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/29/10 2:47 p.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Froggy II would be an excellent start. Make no mistake, a 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat with a 7-10 hp outboard on the back will take the three of you out on the water very easily. They are a lot more weight and material capable than many people think. An excellent starting point and backup boat. Wonderful for those spur of the moment trips onto the water. All the more so if you like exploring smaller water ways. Sailboating is wonderfully romantic in the movies, on the water, it's much less so. Some years ago I raced in the Catalina fleet. There's no breeze when you're underway, so you bake. It's slow going, even when it's fast. And if it's fast, it's only in the direction you don't want to go. It's very involving to sail, and not at all relaxing.
I like mine.. also i was weight limited due to my heavy duty car being a second gen caravan lol not exactly a towing monster... Now to find a bigger motor for the boat..

Buddy of mine in college found an old 15' glasstron wet boat (cable steer - yikes!) on CL for like 250 bucks, "ran when parked" but won't fire now. he bought a new battery, gas tank and lines for it, hooked it all up and all they could do was get it to kick over and then backfire out the exhaust. i took the cover off of it and looked at the plug wires. one was longer than the other, but the longer was hooked up to the shorter run. strange, lets see what happens when we swap them back how they look like they should go.... cranks, fires, we we on the lake that weekend for the float test. turned out it needed some kind of thermostat or something that he ended up getting fixed and kept it for another year or so, then sold it for a profit.

the funny thing - he pulled it behind his civic dx

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
7/29/10 10:11 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Also, lock up your outboard motor. The small motors are theft bait in a bad way. (ask me how I know) They are also expensive to replace. (almost worth as much as the boat) If you are looking at a fix-er-upper check out www.fpmarine.com for parts. It's my brother's company, so make sure to ask for the GRM discount! Is a canoe inappropriate in a thread about boats?

I forgot to put mine up thanks for the reminder... Does your brothers company sell whole outboards? Didn't see any..

EricM
EricM Dork
7/29/10 10:32 p.m.

7 years US Navy, qualified master helmsman, San Diego small boat handling school. (1988ish)

now, staff adviser to the University of Illinois sailing club, and I help my 69 year old father with his 31 foot sailboat.

I love boating, did that answered your question?

this is how we roll:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/30/10 10:08 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Also, lock up your outboard motor. The small motors are theft bait in a bad way. (ask me how I know) They are also expensive to replace. (almost worth as much as the boat) If you are looking at a fix-er-upper check out www.fpmarine.com for parts. It's my brother's company, so make sure to ask for the GRM discount! Is a canoe inappropriate in a thread about boats?
I forgot to put mine up thanks for the reminder... Does your brothers company sell whole outboards? Didn't see any.. No, Flounder Pounder usually doesn't carry outboards. He's a good source for about everything else though. (hardware, bow-rails, poling platforms, seats, radios, seat fabric, anything Sea Ray....etc. etc. etc.)
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 2:27 p.m.

i have a 1966 Lonestar Cruiseliner III all aluminum 24' cabin cruiser that someone gave me for free. his dad died a while ago, the boat was last on the water in 1991, and he meant well by bringing it home but never touched it. i brought it home, cleaned the hell out of it, and am replacing the ignition(engine ran but then ignition fried) and a little patch where the wood deck rotted. supposedly the 105hp chrysler outboard is enough to get it going pretty fast.

so far havent had it on the water but hope to be able to do so sometime in august. it came with the original trailer even.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 4:37 p.m.

just remember what when you put that boat in.. it IS going to leak until the wood swells

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
7/30/10 6:51 p.m.
EricM wrote: 7 years US Navy, qualified master helmsman, San Diego small boat handling school. (1988ish) now, staff adviser to the University of Illinois sailing club, and I help my 69 year old father with his 31 foot sailboat. I love boating, did that answered your question? this is how we roll:

You are not going to be able to get enough coors in that to make it worthwile driving all the way to texarcana....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uiYaBpxa7xBjf3DibV4RdIV94XqHZiUmI0w5Qa0NxwFhiIxTa34XlG9T9Nseby54