1 2 3
StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/30/10 7:23 p.m.

I work at a Marina, so I talk with/hear people talking about expenses. I think the cheapest, more fun way to go would be a little 21 foot Center console (sailfish, boston whaler, Robalo,Trophy whatever) with a 125 four stroke Yamaha on the back. You can fit about 5 people comfortably, plenty of room, great for fishing, and cheap to maintain. Also, a slip at my marina for a year is $3k, for an uncovered slip.

If you're looking for a bowrider, look for a Sea Ray. bowriders are good for having fun on lakes or whatever because you can throw a tube in there easilly.

Have fun, Steven

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 9:14 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: I work at a Marina, so I talk with/hear people talking about expenses. I think the cheapest, more fun way to go would be a little 21 foot Center console (sailfish, boston whaler, Robalo,Trophy whatever) with a 125 four stroke Yamaha on the back. You can fit about 5 people comfortably, plenty of room, great for fishing, and cheap to maintain. Also, a slip at my marina for a year is $3k, for an uncovered slip. If you're looking for a bowrider, look for a Sea Ray. bowriders are good for having fun on lakes or whatever because you can throw a tube in there easilly. Have fun, Steven

Up for a few more questions? What do you think/know about Hurricanes? And does it make a big difference to go with a four stroke vs a two stroke? Are the fours that much better?

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/31/10 3:53 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
StevenFV19 wrote: I work at a Marina, so I talk with/hear people talking about expenses. I think the cheapest, more fun way to go would be a little 21 foot Center console (sailfish, boston whaler, Robalo,Trophy whatever) with a 125 four stroke Yamaha on the back. You can fit about 5 people comfortably, plenty of room, great for fishing, and cheap to maintain. Also, a slip at my marina for a year is $3k, for an uncovered slip. If you're looking for a bowrider, look for a Sea Ray. bowriders are good for having fun on lakes or whatever because you can throw a tube in there easilly. Have fun, Steven
Up for a few more questions? What do you think/know about Hurricanes? And does it make a big difference to go with a four stroke vs a two stroke? Are the fours that much better?

I can't tell if youre being sarcastic or not, so I'm just going to answer the questions.

Hurricanes- They can be pretty bad, I watched my two of my neighbors boats get completely destroyed and sunk during hurricane Isabel, but if you buy insurance on the boat, they should pay for it.

4 vs. 2 Stroke- Four's are better for many reasons, they ususally have more power, and do not put out annoying smoke when they're idling like every two stroke does. most two strokes also always need to buy oil when they buy gas, four strokes dont. four strokes run a lot quieter too, so they're way more pleasant to have on the back of your boat than a two stroke. I can't even hear a four stroke Yamaha idling from 10ft away.

Steven

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
7/31/10 5:55 p.m.

If you were referring to a Hurricane deck boat I have no experience with that brand but i do own a deck boat (or ski barge). I bought the deck boat to take my kids and their friends skiing etc. If you dont have a herd to take to the lake start small and see if this sort of thing floats your boat ?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/10 7:23 p.m.

I would not run a 2 stroke anyway. While they are lighter and more compact, I have been around enough of them to know that if you get the oilmixture wrong.. they either melt down (bad) or smoke more than usual.

the 4 strokes, like said above, are quieter, less smelly, and are easier to deal with. As far as fuel goes, just fill and go.

A word of advice.. if you are going to trailer your boat in and out of the water all the time.. Fill her up at the local gas station. not only is it cheaper (even with the taxes) but you are less likely to get water or other crap in your fuel than from a gas dock

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/10 10:52 p.m.

I will start by making a friendly suggestion... Bayliners win a lot of style contests, but not durability/quality. They were a less expensive boat that looked good for the casual boater.

For a new boater, probably perfectly fine. Just something to consider if you plan on using it a lot or if it ever comes in contact with a rock or log at speed.

But I'm also a little concerned that you GRMers are calling them holes in the water that you put money into. Hogwash. If you go buy parts at a Marina, yes. Just like with a GRM car... if you own a GRM 83 mercedes, do you go to the dealer for parts? Heck no. You're grassroots. You use refrigerator parts and bailing wire, or at least scour the junkyard for something that will work.

I bought an 83 Baja 19' SS with a locked-up 305 and grass literally growing out of the rotted plywood floor. Paid $1000 and the trailer was worth almost that much. Replaced motor stringers, floor plywood, dropped in a reman vortec 350, upgraded to aluminum exhaust manifolds, replaced the wasted gimbal housing, had the outdrive rebuilt, and put in a stereo. I even had a back seat from a dodge extended cab covered with vinyl and fabricated an engine cover. Total investment is under $5k and I have a 300-hp, 60+ mph boat that looks really nice.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/10 6:37 a.m.

did you put a ram air snorkle on that boat? if so, I approve

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/1/10 8:20 a.m.

For some reason this has turned my head.

http://www.adventurecraft.com/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/1/10 8:55 a.m.
curtis73 wrote:

A Three Hour Tour... A Three Hour Tour...

dyintorace
8/1/10 10:40 a.m.
StevenFV19 wrote:
dyintorace wrote: Up for a few more questions? What do you think/know about Hurricanes? And does it make a big difference to go with a four stroke vs a two stroke? Are the fours that much better?
I can't tell if youre being sarcastic or not, so I'm just going to answer the questions. Hurricanes- They can be pretty bad, I watched my two of my neighbors boats get completely destroyed and sunk during hurricane Isabel, but if you buy insurance on the boat, they should pay for it. 4 vs. 2 Stroke- Four's are better for many reasons, they ususally have more power, and do not put out annoying smoke when they're idling like every two stroke does. most two strokes also always need to buy oil when they buy gas, four strokes dont. four strokes run a lot quieter too, so they're way more pleasant to have on the back of your boat than a two stroke. I can't even hear a four stroke Yamaha idling from 10ft away. Steven

No sarcasm intended. I was asking about Hurricane deck boats. I'm looking for something that can comfortably seat 8-10, and do a little bit of everything (skiing, tubing, fishing, cruising, etc).

Thanks for the info on 4 strokes. They sound much better!

dyintorace
8/1/10 10:41 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: If you were referring to a Hurricane deck boat I have no experience with that brand but i do own a deck boat (or ski barge). I bought the deck boat to take my kids and their friends skiing etc. If you dont have a herd to take to the lake start small and see if this sort of thing floats your boat ?

That's what I was asking. What kind of deck boat do you own? Any recommendations?

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
8/1/10 10:44 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
TRoglodyte wrote: If you were referring to a Hurricane deck boat I have no experience with that brand but i do own a deck boat (or ski barge). I bought the deck boat to take my kids and their friends skiing etc. If you dont have a herd to take to the lake start small and see if this sort of thing floats your boat ?
That's what I was asking. What kind of deck boat do you own? Any recommendations?

If you get a deck boat, only use it in lakes or ponds, some rivers are OK, but they dont handle waves and rough water too well

Steven

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
8/1/10 10:48 a.m.
StevenFV19 wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
I can't tell if youre being sarcastic or not, so I'm just going to answer the questions. Hurricanes- They can be pretty bad, I watched my two of my neighbors boats get completely destroyed and sunk during hurricane Isabel, but if you buy insurance on the boat, they should pay for it. 4 vs. 2 Stroke- Four's are better for many reasons, they ususally have more power, and do not put out annoying smoke when they're idling like every two stroke does. most two strokes also always need to buy oil when they buy gas, four strokes dont. four strokes run a lot quieter too, so they're way more pleasant to have on the back of your boat than a two stroke. I can't even hear a four stroke Yamaha idling from 10ft away. Steven

My 2 stroke boat motor smokes less than my caravan that pulls it so doesn't bother me

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/1/10 12:22 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: did you put a ram air snorkle on that boat? if so, I approve

Yup. The vortec intake and holley carb combo puts things too high for the engine cover. So I cut a clearance hole and put on a Moroso scoop. :)

MedicineMan
MedicineMan New Reader
8/1/10 2:29 p.m.

curtis that is awsome...

I just wanted to throw in a vote for a pwc (jet ski or whatever you want to call it)

We got one about a month ago and love it...no you dont have to be an idiot on it! But its a blast if you want to push it. There are several around hear pretty cheap.

Ours is a 3 person seadoo gtx se, pulls skiers or tubes really easy and the mileage is great.

Im actually going to rig it to do some freshwater fishing with it soon...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
8/1/10 4:35 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:

I have a 1986 21 foot Harris Kayot with a 350 chevrolet inboard motor. I found this boat for $3500 6years ago after shopping near lakes nearby and putting the word out. I chose an inboard because they get a little better fuel mileage and the 350 is proven technology I am comfortable with. Deck boats are a more open roomy platform for carrying people. Buccaneer and Hurricane are two of the bigger names for deckboats and have good reputations.I had one friend say he wouldn't own an inboard because if the motor frags the boat is junk. Outboards you pull one off and put another one on.If i were looking now I would probably look for a 16-18 foot 6 cylinder inboard with a Mercruiser outdrive. Buy the best example you can afford and do some research.Definitely get a bimini top!

dyintorace
8/1/10 4:56 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote:
dyintorace wrote: That's what I was asking. What kind of deck boat do you own? Any recommendations?
I have a 1986 21 foot Harris Kayot with a 350 chevrolet inboard motor. I found this boat for $3500 6years ago after shopping near lakes nearby and putting the word out. I chose an inboard because they get a little better fuel mileage and the 350 is proven technology I am comfortable with. Deck boats are a more open roomy platform for carrying people. Buccaneer and Hurricane are two of the bigger names for deckboats and have good reputations.I had one friend say he wouldn't own an inboard because if the motor frags the boat is junk. Outboards you pull one off and put another one on.If i were looking now I would probably look for a 16-18 foot 6 cylinder inboard with a Mercruiser outdrive. Buy the best example you can afford and do some research.Definitely get a bimini top!

Thanks! I'm looking exclusively at outboards, because, at least occasionally, the boat will see saltwater and I've heard outboards are a lot easier to flush and keep clean. I've been looking at Hurricanes but will check Buccaneers too. This time of year is just not a great time of year to buy a boat, as folks are busy using them.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
8/1/10 5:25 p.m.

We sold our duck-boat a few years ago, and have a working solution. 1: Pick your favorite lake 2: Call a Marina and rent a boat 3: Show up and have fun 4: Go back home and leave the maintanence headaches behind.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V0GAfTgqHnCdmLgJkXM76lgHfoem6wqlwyclSER41X7zGzSCqMJdxgoX2DwB9GQ2