1 2 3 4
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/11/09 11:57 a.m.

So, there's two armadillos digging the living hell out of our back yard. At first it was cute. "Oh, they're just aerating it" we'd say. Now it's gone too far, and they've earned themselves a trip to deep in the forest.

They're completely unfazed by me, to the point where I can pet them, so grabbing them and sticking them in a dog crate won't be a problem.

But here's my question: Do armadillos freak out and suddenly develop retard strength when they feel threatened? I expect they'll squirm a little, but should I wear welding gloves and a full face helmet so I don't get jail raped by an armadillo?

Anyone ever actually handle one of these things?

jg

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/11/09 12:07 p.m.

If this douche-nozzle can do it, I'm sure you can:

http://www.orlandorats.com/orlandoarmadilloremoval.htm

That being said, the whole leprosy thing is a little disconcerting.

PS: I saw a little kid catch, kill, and cook one on TV this weekend ("No Reservations" maybe?) So, you know; don't be a little girl.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 12:07 p.m.

LOL, jail raped...i think once they get spooked they just curl up into balls. But I would still use the welding gloves.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
2/11/09 12:10 p.m.

A good plastic pet carrier should be OK. If you only use the cardboard ones, buy a plastic one or rent a "humane trap" if you can and put the armadillo in it as a carrier. Usually the traps are made of steel wire.

He's a digger so he's pretty well-equipped for getting out of a cardboard box.

He'll most likely ball up and go into protective mode.

There's always tranquilizer darts.

Will
Will Reader
2/11/09 12:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: But here's my question: Do armadillos freak out and suddenly develop retard strength when they feel threatened? I expect they'll squirm a little, but should I wear welding gloves and a full face helmet so I don't get jail raped by an armadillo?

If that doesn't end up in the words of wisdom section of the mag I've lost faith in GRM. Whatever the answer to your questions, please videotape the process just in case the answer is yes.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/09 12:18 p.m.

retard strength can berkeley you up. so let's be careful out there.

JG Pasterjak
2/11/09 12:20 p.m.
Will wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: But here's my question: Do armadillos freak out and suddenly develop retard strength when they feel threatened? I expect they'll squirm a little, but should I wear welding gloves and a full face helmet so I don't get jail raped by an armadillo?
If that doesn't end up in the words of wisdom section of the mag I've lost faith in GRM. Whatever the answer to your questions, please videotape the process just in case the answer is yes.

I think there's a clause about employees not being eligible or something.

But, yeah, I have a HeroCam mount on my MX helmet. Might be able to get some first person armadillo capture action.

jg

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/11/09 12:23 p.m.

We have them out front. I figure they're eating the bugs. I'd rather have armadillos over bugs.

(Inside joke to JG: "Got bugs.")

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
2/11/09 12:26 p.m.

Word to the wise...Armadillos jump straight up when threatened....don't stand over them.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
2/11/09 12:29 p.m.

When surprised (not hard - they don't see so well) armadillos can move with surprising speed. Don't bet on them running away - they may not know which way away is. Their diggers cut through skin, muscle, and such pretty easily. and they have a mouthful of sharp teeth. The better for eating bugs and biting you.

OTOH, they can be good eating.

JG Pasterjak
2/11/09 12:41 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: If this douche-nozzle can do it, I'm sure you can: http://www.orlandorats.com/orlandoarmadilloremoval.htm

His alligator section is actually pretty funny.

But, yeah, it does look like he has a bit of a "chicks will dig me because I caught an armadillo look on his face.

jg

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
2/11/09 12:43 p.m.

One of my huskies caught one. He just balled up tight and played dead until I pulled the dog off with no appearent damage on either side. I had much worse carnage from a four on one Siberian Husky Pack vs Possum brawl. The backyard looked like Possum stew and I think one of my Siberians might have broken a dew claw.

minimac
minimac Dork
2/11/09 12:45 p.m.

If you chase them, don't follow them across the street. They rank right up there with opossums in street crossing ability.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/09 12:46 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: When surprised (not hard - they don't see so well) armadillos can move with surprising speed. Don't bet on them running away - they may not know which way away is.

My son and I just experienced this early this morning. I let the dog out back and heard some rustlin' (I live in North Florida ). We went to investigate and that little bugger took off! I was surprised to see how fast they could move.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/09 12:48 p.m.

our first siberian was actually what they call a "hybrid" now... she used to kill muskrats for fun.

good luck with the armadillos.. remember what Gallagar said about them.. "they look like speed bumps"

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
2/11/09 1:01 p.m.

Another note: Keep your approach speed low. They're roughly as dense as a bowling ball, so if you're going 75mph in a Camry and they run out in front of you and jump up in startled mode, they take out a chunk of the front bumper assembly, the radiator, the AC condenser and bend the subframe slightly. Then your Check Engine light comes on a mile or two down the road when the coolant has run out. Costs about $1200 to fix.

Not that I have personal experience with that.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
2/11/09 1:39 p.m.

this one seems to cover the bases pretty well:

https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/faq.html

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/11/09 2:01 p.m.

according to my co worker (who is a little crazy) they carry leprosy

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
2/11/09 2:19 p.m.

Didn't the guys from Spinal Tap stuff them in their trouser's? Might wanna give them a call.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
2/11/09 3:00 p.m.
EricM wrote: according to my co worker (who is a little crazy) they carry leprosy

according to my link above, the only cases of transmission to humans were from eating undercooked 'dillo. so make sure yours is well done

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/11/09 3:04 p.m.

What kind of ammo does it take to peirce 'dillo shell? .22lr up to it?

Brian
Brian New Reader
2/11/09 3:10 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: What kind of ammo does it take to peirce 'dillo shell? .22lr up to it?

Yes it is.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
2/11/09 3:10 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: What kind of ammo does it take to peirce 'dillo shell? .22lr up to it?

I've taken them with .22, but my favorite tool in those days was a .36 Navy percussion revolver, like this without the rebated cylinder: Photobucket Quite sporting!

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
2/11/09 4:06 p.m.

I've had a little experience with 'rassling 'dillos.

They can be quite docile until they think they are threatened. I've heard about them rolling up into balls but personal experience says that ain't gonna happen. When spooked they go into turbo mode and can move quite fast.

Those shells are hard and sharp on the edges. Those claws are dangerous! But so far none have bitten.

You probably can herd them into your box. In any case you want armored gloves.

Possums act threatening, but then give up and play possum quickly. You can pick them up by the tail and take them wherever you want, but I haven't been able to get an armadillo to play possum yet.

Will
Will Reader
2/11/09 4:55 p.m.

I have never actually seen an armadillo and thus I'm really fascinated with this topic. I know to those who live near these critters a dillo is nothing but a possum with a shell, but I can think of absolutely nothing funnier than an armadillo that's gone from Bruce Banner to Hulk smash.

Know what else is cool about armadiloes? That was the mascot of the team in Necessary Roughness. If Sinbad is down with an armadillo so am I.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IQf6zgOoTm5vZZ4Zc0OIxApzoXNcqgROgkiBttjIW4zrpY6Vk7OD6iwm8DuQJIFN