1 2 3 4
HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
12/14/12 1:11 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: What would a millwright or maintenance supe make up there?

$65+/h if you went up north (or more, being a supe). In Deadmonton (where people are still needed), well over $40/h. Hell, I bet $50/h minimum at any plant that isn't north of Edmonton, tons of plants all over Alberta.

I mean, in Ft. Mac, a millwright with 10+ years of experience in and of itself would mean close to $65/h I reckon. And if you the company is willing, an individual could probably get 2 weeks on 2 weeks off fly in/fly out anywhere in Canada...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/14/12 1:13 p.m.

Very sorry Paul. Let me know if I can help!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/14/12 7:56 p.m.
ronholm wrote: During the spring and summer I remodel here in Kansas city I have much more trouble finding quality help than I do finding work. You sir would be welcome anytime. Seriously If I were in your shoes I would head to New York, especially if you have any experience with insurance work. Finding work is easy as simply being present and able, and there is no haggling on price or anything you make what exactimate says the job is worth.

For some strange reason, I have never done much insurance work. I've never quite learned how the system works, and I really regret it. It's the one area of the construction industry left.

I am pretty good with various estimating programs, so I am confident I could figure out Exactimate, but have never had any exposure to the ins and outs of insurance jobs.

I hope I am working before the Spring, but if not, you may find me on your doorstep one day.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/14/12 7:57 p.m.
ronholm wrote: Oh shoot I missed your last post Awesome I wanted to say something unemployment just taking just taking it is bad for you. But it seems you already figured that out

Why do you say that?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/12 7:42 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
$65+/h if you went up north (or more, being a supe). In Deadmonton (where people are still needed), well over $40/h. Hell, I bet $50/h minimum at any plant that isn't north of Edmonton, tons of plants all over Alberta. I mean, in Ft. Mac, a millwright with 10+ years of experience in and of itself would mean close to $65/h I reckon. And if you the company is willing, an individual could probably get 2 weeks on 2 weeks off fly in/fly out anywhere in Canada...

Damn I need to give up on this Mechanical Engineer crap and become a millwright or maintenance sup..

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
12/15/12 8:49 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
I mean, in Ft. Mac, a millwright with 10+ years of experience in and of itself would mean close to $65/h I reckon. And if you the company is willing, an individual could probably get 2 weeks on 2 weeks off fly in/fly out anywhere in Canada...

My buddy operates overhead cranes in Fort Mac. Makes a sweet living. Works for 3 weeks and heads home for a 4 day weekend. This year he left in the spring and just came home (Chicago) this week to celebrate Christmas.

You have to balance the money and seeing his wife 4 days a month. And he lives in one of those dorm rooms.....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/12 12:22 p.m.

Mostly I'm trying to just breath deeply right now.

There is pretty much no chance anyone will talk seriously with me about a job before the New Year, so I'm going to try to de-stress and roll through it.

I'm still pushing, but I am accepting the fact that the likelihood of an interview in the next 2 weeks is slim to none.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/16/12 12:27 p.m.

Sorry about your job loss. Horrible feeling to be told you are no longer wanted. I know that feeling first hand.

We just had a big RIF here 2 weeks ago for the hourly workforce and I see signs of another salary one soon. ugh.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
12/16/12 4:43 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
ronholm wrote: Oh shoot I missed your last post Awesome I wanted to say something unemployment just taking just taking it is bad for you. But it seems you already figured that out
Why do you say that?

For the same reason you don't feed the geese. Even the best of people settle for less for themselves than they should with that kind of 'safety' net.

Not that it is a handout. It is a tax which you have paid for. But it has the same effect on your world view

Now seize the opportunity and go kick some butt

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/12 8:10 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: ... to be told you are no longer wanted.

Bingo.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/16/12 8:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: ... to be told you are no longer wanted.
Bingo.

I know man. I know.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/12 8:24 p.m.
ronholm wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Why do you say that?
For the same reason you don't feed the geese. Even the best of people settle for less for themselves than they should with that kind of 'safety' net. Not that it is a handout. It is a tax which you have paid for. But it has the same effect on your world view Now seize the opportunity and go kick some butt

Oh, I get it.

I thought you were saying that something bad would happen for accepting unemployment, like becoming less employable, or tax repercussions, or something.

I have NO INTENT of rolling over. It's not my style.

I do, however, find myself in the awkward position for the first time in my life of trying to support my family on ZERO income, with minimal savings, and ZERO borrowing potential in an area where the median household income is $23K and unemployment is around 12%.

But I am realizing that I have been fortunate until now, and it is now time to make some very rapid, very big changes. One of those changes may need to be to accept unemployment for a season to carry me through.

Don't want to stay stuck in the "safety net", but relocating (after 20 years in the area) could be tough (if necessary), and I would like my children to be able to eat.

Thoughts?

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
12/16/12 11:28 p.m.

My old man worked residential construction and, later, commercial excavation in Northern Chicagoland for 20+ years. Hell, even I was making $20-25/hr. Then everything went to E36 M3. I when back to school, and he went west to a little town in Montana with a population of 2,200.

You might think he'd have run out of jobs by now, but not so. The other guys doing construction in that town were hacks. Once word got around that he could do it all, and do it right, he hasn't been without work.

I say if the job looks good, and you feel it out right, don't look back. You and your family don't sound like shut ins. You'll make friends, buddies and new contacts. Scary? Yes, of course, but people do this and make it work out.

I have faith in you.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
12/17/12 8:30 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
ronholm wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Why do you say that?
For the same reason you don't feed the geese. Even the best of people settle for less for themselves than they should with that kind of 'safety' net. Not that it is a handout. It is a tax which you have paid for. But it has the same effect on your world view Now seize the opportunity and go kick some butt
Oh, I get it. I thought you were saying that something bad would happen for accepting unemployment, like becoming less employable, or tax repercussions, or something. I have NO INTENT of rolling over. It's not my style. I do, however, find myself in the awkward position for the first time in my life of trying to support my family on ZERO income, with minimal savings, and ZERO borrowing potential in an area where the median household income is $23K and unemployment is around 12%. But I am realizing that I have been fortunate until now, and it is now time to make some very rapid, very big changes. One of those changes may need to be to accept unemployment for a season to carry me through. Don't want to stay stuck in the "safety net", but relocating (after 20 years in the area) could be tough (if necessary), and I would like my children to be able to eat. Thoughts?

No borrowing potential when you have little to no income IS a good thing.

The last thing you need when you find yourself in a hole is to start digging... Seriously.. If you haven't saved anything... The last thing you need is debt.

So the average consumer in your target market makes 23K and there is plenty of people looking for work who will be motivated to help you?

You have tools and kids which need to eat...

With average income in that range I assume the percentage of rental properties vs ownership is skewed toward the rental side...

Property managers.. Property owners.. investors (they can be a pain to work for so make careful decisions)

Ect..

I am just thinking outloud assuming a 'construction path'....

Heck my county.. http://www.city-data.com/county/Wyandotte_County-KS.html

And I am just catching my breath from a Christmas lighting business... I have served higher end customers for over nine years.. We decorated 220 homes this year. 80% of them within my own county.

Just saying....

Go create value.....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/17/12 8:40 a.m.

I read a story somewhere, and my experience seems to support it, that a growth market is in the support of Rental Properties. Because of the last few years, there are a lot of people who now own rental properties, but don't really have the expertise to maintain them. They want a trusted person or company to call on for anything that comes up, from plumbing to electrical to repairs to upgrades. These things always happen when the landlord is out of town or Christmas Eve or 3am. Something to look into perhaps. Best of luck to you man.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
12/17/12 8:55 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I read a story somewhere, and my experience seems to support it, that a growth market is in the support of Rental Properties. Because of the last few years, there are a lot of people who now own rental properties, but don't really have the expertise to maintain them. They want a trusted person or company to call on for anything that comes up, from plumbing to electrical to repairs to upgrades. These things always happen when the landlord is out of town or Christmas Eve or 3am. Something to look into perhaps. Best of luck to you man.

Watch those numbers closely though... Part of it my be the baby boomers are all getting older.

Serving them as they age is going to be a huge BUBBLE.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/17/12 11:26 a.m.

Sorry to hear, Paul. I've got enough work at my house to keep you busy for a while, but I don't pay very well. But hey, if you get desperate for beer and sandwiches let me know! In all seriousness, let me know if you need anything, and I'll let you know if I hear of anything you might be interested in. Best of luck!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I0PkD7qXpyROFKRiM8nHdOALuwd4Ca39RioXAx1MtxkFRSNv7CJ7bh8ArXf5xIJg