1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/19 8:20 p.m.

Most of my dislikes are already here, Beetles, Grateful Dead, Bro Country, but it’s amusing watch where people draw lines in music. I like most old country and western, and outlaw country, hate most new pop country, but love Garth Brooks, possibly the most pop country artist of all time.  Love Billy Joel but hate Springsteen even though they are very similar on paper.  And unlike many of you my car radio has been on Yacht Rock (Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers, Christopher Cross, etc) most of the summer.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Agree with this list 200%

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/24/19 9:36 p.m.

Driving home from grocery shopping, I had "Africa" by Toto turned up on the radio.

I don't care what any of you think.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/25/19 6:52 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Driving home from grocery shopping, I had "Africa" by Toto turned up on the radio.

I would think ill of you if you did not crank it to 11 and do your best to nail the harmonies.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
8/25/19 4:40 p.m.

Kansas

Chilliwack

Rush

Beetles (and all derivatives ESPECIALLY Mcartney)

Oasis

Rolling Stones

Black Sabbath (although later Ozzy is fine) - likely a generational thing

Bee Gees

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/19 8:36 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Guilty pleasure... Pamela is one of my faves.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/19 9:16 p.m.
chandler said:

I really don’t like offspring or Green Day. Surely I’m not alone but they both just grate on me.

Ah, next time we can regale our hatred of green day together, and how their being inducted has nullified any clout the rock hall had left.  

offspring - americana blew hard but I cannot hate on smash or ixnay

fleetwood mac can go to hell with james taylor and jackson browne’s corpses in the trunk

i’ll second trent’s nomination of patty smith.  I’m punk as berkeley and I don’t get it.  

Also while i’m going off, berkeley disturbed, metallica after jason left, and megadeth.  

Elvis was and always will be for trailer trash.  Bro country can eat me.  Honestly most country can disappear.  

Drake blows, Lil(insert dumbass name here ie: peep, pump, xan, yachty) berkeley off with all the other soundcloud rappers.  Also I don’t get the migos/rae sremmurd stuff.  Maybe because i grew up with The Chronic and Amerikkka’s most wanted, but new stuff isn’t my deal.  Give me new Ice Cube over any of the newer acts, Good Cop Bad Cop is fire.

2pac was better as part of the Digital Underground.

can’t stand michael macdonald.  

Don’t really get janis joplin

solo don henley is worse than the Eagles because at least the eagles had joe walsh to not suck

fleetwood mac can still go to hell

5 finger death punch can 5 finger berkeley off

ke$ha?  More like ke$hcrabs

if you couldn’t tell i’m like the darth vader of music, the hate flows through me.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
8/25/19 9:17 p.m.
ShawnG said:

People would judge you more if you DIDN'T turn that up.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
8/25/19 9:26 p.m.

Five Finger Death Punch is the oatmeal of metal- the metal equivalent of a mouthful of wallpaper paste. The instant I hear someone tell me they like them, I start wondering if they're favorite food is "sandwiches" too.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/25/19 9:43 p.m.

I don’t remember who mentioned Patti Smith, but, yeah. Patti Smith is one of those awful beers that you have to pretend to like in order to have other people think you’re cool. 

Her role was taken over by Sleater Kinney for the following generation. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
8/26/19 12:24 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Five Finger Death Punch is the oatmeal of metal- the metal equivalent of a mouthful of wallpaper paste. The instant I hear someone tell me they like them, I start wondering if they're favorite food is "sandwiches" too.

I like sandwiches.

I had to google Five Finger Death Punch. I've heard their popular songs, never cared enough to look up the name. Some of the songs are ok but I wouldn't have guessed that it's classified as metal.

For me, Pentatonix. Listened to the Daft Punk cover and was impressed, then I listened again and realized I'd rather just listen to Daft Punk. It doesn't help that their holiday album seems to be a hit and I've already heard enough holiday music for the next 150 years.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/26/19 6:42 a.m.

I cannot stand anything from George Thorogood!! His "music" is just B-B-B-Bad!! I hear anything from him and those F'ing Delaware Destoryers, and it's an instant channel change. Even my kids know this, and laugh if we're in my wife's car, as she likes Thorogood. If it's on in her car it is all I can do to not change the station, but rules are rules. She hates U2, so when we're in my car if they come on I torture her with that if it comes on. I also this Clapton is overrated.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/19 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I’m not a big Thorogood fan but I did enjoy see him open fo ZZ Top years ago.  I mostly enjoyed it because ZZ Top’s stuff took up so much space that he had to keep working to not fall off the little bit of stage he had. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/26/19 8:07 a.m.

Jay Z is overrated

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/26/19 8:26 a.m.

Ok.  I guess that’s about everybody.  All bands suck.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/26/19 8:38 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

I cannot stand anything from George Thorogood!! His "music" is just B-B-B-Bad!! I hear anything from him and those F'ing Delaware Destoryers, and it's an instant channel change. Even my kids know this, and laugh if we're in my wife's car, as she likes Thorogood. If it's on in her car it is all I can do to not change the station, but rules are rules. She hates U2, so when we're in my car if they come on I torture her with that if it comes on. I also this Clapton is overrated.

I don't know what version / era Thorogood you're listening to, but you can (and probably should) dismiss outright anything from Bad To The Bone onward, including the title track.  Despite - actually because of - that album's popularity, everything after that is dreck.  The only good song on BTTB (his mainstream breakthrough album) is a solid cover of Chuck Berry's No Particular Place To Go.

But early Thorogood is excellent stuff, especially at parties or on road trips.  His covers of Hank Williams's Move It On Over and Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love are full of rocking swagger, and his version of The Sky Is Crying is what made me pick up the guitar and try to play.

Full disclosure:  Lonesome George comes from my home town and I met him at a party once around 1980-81.  He was pretty cool.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/26/19 8:49 a.m.

It seems that we still have similar taste in music

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/26/19 8:54 a.m.
Duke said:
Mazdax605 said:

I don't know what version / era Thorogood you're listening to, but you can (and probably should) dismiss outright anything from Bad To The Bone onward, including the title track.  Despite - actually because of - that album's popularity, everything after that is dreck.  The only good song on BTTB (his mainstream breakthrough album) is a solid cover of Chuck Berry's No Particular Place To Go.

But early Thorogood is excellent stuff, especially at parties or on road trips.  His covers of Hank Williams's Move It On Over and Bo Diddley's Who Do You Love are full of rocking swagger, and his version of The Sky Is Crying is what made me pick up the guitar and try to play.

Full disclosure:  Lonesome George comes from my home town and I met him at a party once around 1980-81.

I just can't do it. I've trained my ear to pick up even one note from him, and it is instant radio off or channel change. I could mop up on name that tune with that band. Just awful! I know it's un-American, but I just can't. Of course I like a lot of the other bands mentioned in here, so my taste is just total E36 M3, and I know this.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/26/19 11:52 a.m.

Thinking about this more... didn't we do this before on here a while back? laugh

Anyway, more opinionated crap from my brain...

-I CAN separate my disdain for genres/bands with my disdain for the FANS of those genres/bands. What I didn't mention in my previous post about hippie jam bands is that the music itself annoys me. It's endless, happy noodling that's meant for consumption while on mind-altering drugs, so I guess I'm not the target audience. Also, traveling hippie convoys are stinky and weird. had a run-in with them about 10 years back at a Metal convention (The Dead were in town at the same time, which got real weird real fast) They do have unique RV's, I will give them that.

-I don't openly "hate" a lot of bands/genres, but there are a few more I just can't deal with. Godsmack is one. I'm from MA, and so are they. I never understood why they got so big over other local bands that were far better. They got in with people at a formerly popular (and awful) rock station and blew up. Every song has the word AWAY repeated over and over. I don't get it.

-Five Finger Death Punch is another. They are Godsmack except on intravenous Monster Energy drinks, and the perfect soundtrack to punching drywall and yelling derogatory crap at women.

-The current state of mass-produced pop music is not my thing. As a "pretentious musician", it's all cookie cutter crap, factory made to make a buck off of people that don't like music. None of it has staying power. Thoughtless, blank noise to me without any soul. Makes me sad that it even exists.

-Rush is an acquired taste. I have acquired that taste. Took me a long time though! They are for nerds, and I am a nerd. All three of them are monster players at their respective instruments, and I find new nuances to their playing every time I listen. They did get incredibly lame toward the end of the 80's, but they powered out of that phase, thankfully. They are not for everyone, and I get that.

-I like Black Sabbath a lot, but I prefer Dio-era Sabbath to Ozzy Sabbath. The three albums that Dio did (not counting the Heaven and Hell album that came out before he died) are all masterpieces.

-I concur on George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Not a fan. LOVE me some ZZ Top though. Just sat down to listen to Tres Hombres for the first time last week and... wow, I get it now. That album SMOKES! They are much more than furry guitars, Legs and Sharp Dressed Man (not that there's anything wrong with those).

-I went on a nostalgic deep dive last night to switch it up a bit from listening to the same Metal I always do and I went down the rabbit hole big time. First, I tossed on the Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtrack after reading an article about how much it influenced people's taste in music (it totally did!). That led me to some old Pop Punk (Millencolin, NOFX, Face to Face) which then went into early 00's Post Hardcore/Screamo (Anberlin, Saosin, Circa Survive) and then it took a left turn into some 90's/00's Hip Hop (Wu Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots). What a journey. I listened to tons of stuff I forgot existed. It was nice!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/26/19 4:07 p.m.

Is there a single soul/funk singer/group on this list? That might be saying something?

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
8/26/19 5:13 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Love ffdp and sandwiches. I also don't beat my wife so maybe I'm an abnormal fan from reading you guys posts.

Can't stand tool, the new album didn't help. Don't care for anything country so I'll stay away from that.

Can't stand rush, Styx or Elvis.

daeman
daeman Dork
8/26/19 5:45 p.m.
dropstep said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Love ffdp and sandwiches. I also don't beat my wife so maybe I'm an abnormal fan from reading you guys posts.

Can't stand tool, the new album didn't help. Don't care for anything country so I'll stay away from that.

Can't stand rush, Styx or Elvis.

What!?!?.... the new tool album isn't out for another few days! 

I enjoyed fear inoculum, it will be getting some more play with more volume. Now to wait for the rest of the album to hurry up and get here.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
8/26/19 8:26 p.m.

I UTTERLY LOATH U2!

For the past 2 and a half decades they've been living off lore (a lie) that their music from the early 90's was actually ok (it wasn't). They should have stopped while they still had some credibility. Now it's all just guitar effects and lame/unintelligible lyrics. The Edge - what does that even mean??!!

There - got it partially out of my system...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/26/19 8:33 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I had a co worker once. We were talking about music we liked. She was like I'm into some pretty heavy stuff- I thought she was going to go black metal on me. She says " OH I really like Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch.." I just shook my head. Poor poor thing. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/26/19 8:37 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Is there a single soul/funk singer/group on this list? That might be saying something?

It is against the law to badmouth Morris Day or George Clinton. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ob1hC1dCQyDdaTH4FAxYWmqYOPCAZlMAVpL7ATQ6w07Y3qm84eUuORbeaw3VQrvC