1 2 3
cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
4/6/11 9:56 a.m.

Walts BBQ in Southwest Ohio Best BBQ pulled pork sandwich I have ever had. Ever. They come with suace on the side, which are award winning, and all three are equally as amazing.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
4/6/11 9:58 a.m.

DANG IT . . .I want me some BBQ now . . .

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/6/11 10:01 a.m.
slefain wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: The best BBQ restaurants are usually small hole-in-the-wall places. If the building is big and fancy (ie$$$) , drive on.
My favorite BBQ joints look like abandoned buildings. The scarier the place, the better the BBQ. Ideally there should be some guy behind the counter who could pass as the local Hell's Angels chapter president. My favorite place in Mableton is (was?) Old Hickory. I went in one night to grab takeout dinner with my Dad. The biker behind the counter took our orders. He then proceeded to walk back to the smoker and remove the smoldering meat with his BARE HANDS. He then used a machete to make our chopped pork, cramming it into a styrofoam container. The next part got me though. He grabbed up a few potatoes and rammed them through an old school fry cutter directly into the fryer. A few minutes later he took out the fries with a scoop, dumped them on the counter, salted them, and then picked them all up with his BARE HANDS to put in the container. When he handed us the food it was all still piping hot (I couldn't even eat a fry because they were still so hot). The guy must have had asbestos lined hands.

Random Trivia - The place in Smokey and the Bandit where Bandit orders some food, runs into Smokey and buys him lunch (but Smokey doesn't know it's him yet) was one of the Old Hickory Houses.

imirk
imirk Reader
4/6/11 11:31 a.m.
slefain wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: The best BBQ restaurants are usually small hole-in-the-wall places. If the building is big and fancy (ie$$$) , drive on.
My favorite BBQ joints look like abandoned buildings. The scarier the place, the better the BBQ. Ideally there should be some guy behind the counter who could pass as the local Hell's Angels chapter president.

Corollary: The fewer teeth the person behind the counter has, the better the BBQ.

Hal
Hal Dork
4/6/11 3:29 p.m.
slefain wrote: My favorite BBQ joints look like abandoned buildings. The scarier the place, the better the BBQ. Ideally there should be some guy behind the counter who could pass as the local Hell's Angels chapter president.

Around here it's called "The Black Hog". The building was a radiator repair shop for several decades. The proprietor fits the description except for the color of his skin.

He has been in the business for ~20 years. Used to have an old converted school bus with the smoker built in the back and some tables bolted down in the front. Each day of the week he parked in a differnt part of town. I chased that damm bus all over town for years and now I don't have to go hunt for it any more.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
4/6/11 5:20 p.m.

Whole pork shoulder slow-cooked in 2 bottles of Troegenator for 10 hours, on a kaiser roll. And there's a local BBQ place that sells their Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce...heavenly.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
4/6/11 7:17 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I would add that they should have a tumbledown looking smoke shack behind the main building.

+1. There's a BBQ joint 1/4 mile from where we've lived for 3 years that we have yet to try. After seeing their ad advertising that their food is superior due to their use of "High Tech Electronic Smokers", I don't plan to try it.

Best BBQ pork I've ever had was from a little roadside stand run by two brothers. Their shop was an old Home Depot-type storage shed with a small walk in cooler attached. The smoker was around back, and looked like it had been setting at the bottom of a lake for 60 years. The entire menu was: brisket, pulled pork, cole slaw, beans, and banana pudding.

Your sauce choice was a little sauce or a lot of sauce, none of this 5 different sauce choices nonsense that chain places offer. Interestingly, their "sandwiches" were served wrapped in homemade flour tortillas instead of a bun. I've never come across this at any other place I've tried.

peabody
peabody
4/6/11 7:40 p.m.

Local place called Bucky's, long story, but guy started by selling on the side of the road for $5 a plate, State DHEC tells him several times that he has to have a building, so he opens on one side of a metal building he owns, the other side is inhabited by ... a pest control business. You go to the counter and he chops the pork when you order it. Has tomato base and mustard base sauces on the table. He makes his own hot sauce every day, usually hot enough to make you sweat. If it sits under a heat lamp until you order it, keep going as it's going to be dry.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/6/11 8:37 p.m.

I never understood the pulled pork thing. I mean, they're good, but not great.

Then I got into a CSA with a local farm. We got a pork shoulder. Pure pork, no antibiotics, raised on a pasture. Slow cooked and pulled with some home made bbq sauce. OK, I get it now. MORE PLEASE!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
4/6/11 8:39 p.m.

There are a couple place local that have decent pulled pork. Our local Brit car club meets at one. Good size parking lot for our cars, meeting room for club meetings and FREE all you can eat hushpuppies. Pulled pork comes as a platter or sandwich. They serve it with cole slaw & pickle around here. I don't care for it like that so I get it without cole slaw & pickle. Thick BBQ sauce on it, just enough to enhance not drown.
Other place around here also has pulled chicken or turkey sandwiches besides pork. Last night was pulled pork and hushpuppies, today at lunch was turkey bbq sandwich. mmmn good!

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
4/6/11 9:11 p.m.

all you folk that think NC BBQ sauce is all vinegar need to back up and listen and learn a little

you go Greensboro and east and you get vinegar.. you come up here to the mountains and you'll hardly ever find vinegar... here is tomato based sweat sauce... yummmmmmmmmmm

just keep in mind not all NC are retards when it comes to BBQ and sauce

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/7/11 5:12 a.m.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweatmans-bbq-holly-hill

Go there or die.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
4/7/11 7:44 a.m.
huge-O-chavez wrote: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweatmans-bbq-holly-hill Go there or die.

\

I still haven't made it there, but a co-worker hits it every time he goes to Chastown. It's definitely off the beaten path.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
4/7/11 7:52 a.m.

I'm not sure I want barbeque made by the Sweat Man?

pez222
pez222 New Reader
4/7/11 9:38 a.m.

Piggy's BBQ in Tallahassee

huge-O-chavez wrote:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweatmans-bbq-holly-hill

Go there or die.

Come here AND die Piggy's BBQ in Tallahassee. Home of the Porkzilla Challenge Man vs Food style:

"The PorkZilla is a monster of a sandwich weighing in at 6 lbs of pulled pork, coleslaw, bacon, and cheese all piled onto a bun the size of your head. If you favor a trip to the hospital, this may very well be the sandwich for you, but be warned, its not for the faint of heart. Luckily, there are prizes attached to lure the foolhearty into the challenge. If you can finish the whole thing in one hour you'll get your picture on the wall of fame, in 45 minutes you'll get the picture and a t-shirt, and if you're superhuman enough to finish the whole thing in 30 minutes you get all of the above, plus the sandwich is free."

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/11 9:49 a.m.

Mutton!

Though I did have some excellent pulled Kalua Pig BBQ sandwiches in Hawaii.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/11 10:16 a.m.

Boston Butt or Shoulder, brine over night, rub with salt and pepper, smoke for 8 hours with hickory. Fork pulled, your favorite BBQ sauce mixed in with the meat, two slices of pickle, a mayo-based (sweet) coleslaw and a dab of horseradish.

My buddy used to make BBQ sauce. He started with a base of about half and half puree'd tomatoes and Frank's Red Hot, then added molasses, sweet pickle juice, brown sugar, and some other stuff. It was sweet, tangy, and spicy at the same time.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/9/11 6:40 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I never understood the pulled pork thing. I mean, they're good, but not great. Then I got into a CSA with a local farm. We got a pork shoulder. Pure pork, no antibiotics, raised on a pasture. Slow cooked and pulled with some home made bbq sauce. OK, I get it now. MORE PLEASE!

I'm about to join an ex-work buddy's young CSA, and my mouth is watering already.

friedgreencorrado
4/9/11 6:41 p.m.
wbjones wrote: all you folk that think NC BBQ sauce is all vinegar need to back up and listen and learn a little you go Greensboro and east and you get vinegar.. you come up here to the mountains and you'll hardly ever find vinegar... here is tomato based sweat sauce... yummmmmmmmmmm just keep in mind not all NC are retards when it comes to BBQ and sauce

I grew up on the NC Outer Banks, and I approve of this message. The beach for fish, the mountains for BBQ.

EDIT: Oh, and also the mountains for, uh..well, it comes in a bell jar, but it ain't grandma's homemade pickles, if you catch my drift..

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
4/9/11 6:46 p.m.

some of that stuff is actually pretty good

friedgreencorrado
4/9/11 7:29 p.m.
wbjones wrote: some of that stuff is actually pretty good

Yeah, I was surprised. All my relatives told such tales about the flavor back during Prohibition that it amazed me how smooth some of that stuff can be. I guess it's like making anything else-depends on equipment, skill, and good ingredients.

Will
Will HalfDork
4/9/11 8:19 p.m.

So long as there's no slaw on it, I'm not picky. I seriously don't get the slaw on the sandwich thing.

Probably because I hate cole slaw in general.

huge-O-chavez
huge-O-chavez SuperDork
4/9/11 8:20 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I'm not sure I want barbeque made by the Sweat Man?

Fine.. More for me..

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/9/11 9:10 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: But, seriously, the difference between my most favorite method and least favorite method is about that ---> <--- much. If the meat's tasty, plate me. I'm not gonna ask a lot of questions.

+100 this. Bad BBQ is better than the best of most other foods.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
4/10/11 9:15 a.m.

^^^^^^^^^^ yep you got it ^^^^^^^^

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DlMiEM2k8f9lWn0ZVGWrj7U9h9zwPKcn7R0oBgB0rW54tL3r0U4LOMhOM2yrS76D